WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my new Digital Tuna has a function that measures charge level of a light source, I decided to test natural daylight against an LED flashlight since a lot of people like to use LED lamps and charging stations to keep their solars topped up.
I know there will be a lot of flaming for this video from some of you (I know which ones already :) ) but that's fine as I thought of it more as a fun experiment than EXACT SCIENCE.
I hope you enjoy :)

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Great wee video, confirming what those of us 'in the know' have realised for years that the best source of light is free, and pointed upwards...

·
Registered
9,834 Posts
Thanks for taking the time & effort to make that video, Marrin.
Nice one mate. :-!

Reactions: Marrin

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Thanks Marrin! I have always suspected that natural light (ie. sunlight) is the best source of power when it comes to solar watches but never bother to do the test. Great video too, you sound like a professional narator

Reactions: Marrin

·
Registered
3,922 Posts

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
I enjoyed the video a lot. I've always chuckled a little at fellow G-Shock enthusiasts who set up elaborate rigs to charge their watches at home. But they are having fun in their own way, so I think it's cool.

The tough solar tech Casio uses seems very efficient. On a sunny day, or even a slightly cloudy one, place the watch on the window sill for an hour or two. If it's really sunny, an hour in my experience seems to top up the battery nicely for a long time. I do this every three weeks or so.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Sheer coincidence, but it's actually a very rare sunny day here in Northern Ireland, so my 2 favourite solars are outside getting a drink (the rest are upstairs drinking through glass!)

solar in sun LoRes.jpg

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Thanks Marrin. I find your videso to be on point and no BS, the way I like very much. And this video settles one of my long-time questions! AND that digital tuna looks FANTASTIC! Makes me wanna get one myself.

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
I live in an apartment building, so getting a lot of sunlight to hit my watches can be difficult sometimes. Today it's partially sunny with some cloud coverage, but I figure it's time to let my metal squares sun bathe. The gold one in particular is at 75 percent or so. I reckon an hour and half for all three watches should suffice. If it's really sunny and super hot, I won't leave my watches out for an hour or so -- 30 minutes or 45 minutes. I'm afraid too much direct sunlight exposure could damage the LCD or something.

fullmetalcharging.jpg

·
Premium Member
14,204 Posts
I live in an apartment building, so getting a lot of sunlight to hit my watches can be difficult sometimes. Today it's partially sunny with some cloud coverage, but I figure it's time to let my metal squares sun bathe. The gold one in particular is at 75 percent or so. I reckon an hour and half for all three watches should suffice. If it's really sunny and super hot, I won't leave my watches out for an hour or so -- 30 minutes or 45 minutes. I'm afraid too much direct sunlight exposure could damage the LCD or something.

View attachment 13247059
Put them in a glass filled with water and the overheating issue becomes a non issue.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the kind words I appreciate it
Thanks Marrin. I find your videso to be on point and no BS, the way I like very much. And this video settles one of my long-time questions! AND that digital tuna looks FANTASTIC! Makes me wanna get one myself.
Sent from my SLA-L22 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
... I'm afraid too much direct sunlight exposure could damage the LCD or something.

View attachment 13247059
Correct, UV radiation from the sun deteriorates everything over time, fading colors and breaking down plastics and other materials. How long this process takes varies but limiting direct exposure like you are doing is a good idea if this is the only method one uses to charge their watch. However, there's absolutely nothing wrong with using artificial light from the den/bedroom/office ;-)

Reactions: Ottovonn

·
Banned
252 Posts
Great video, makes perfect sense. I live in Arizona and I bet that charge meter never leaves 10 unless its nighttime lol

Reactions: jzoo and Marrin
1 - 20 of 53 Posts