WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Ladies and Gents...

my first post at this forum. I have a half dozen of SEIKO watches, mostly old automatic but also a couple of old quartz watches. I'm not a "watch collector" but I'm a collector of record vinyls (mostly The Beatles) and turntables (mostly old Technics SL-1200 Mk2). But I have planned to buy some old SEIKO solar watches. Maybe also some Kinetic Automatics from SEIKO.

The biggest problem with these watches is the battery, or is it called capacitor? I suppose it is a Li-ion battery in the SEIKO solar and Kinetic Automatic watches. And I suppose these batteries/capacitors is still available/mfd from SEIKO!??

My question is about the solar watches. Here in Sweden we have a lot of sun in the summer but far less sun in the winter. Or, it's a matter of fact, the nothern part of the country has sun 24 hours a day in the summer but not one singla hour in the winter. It's midnight 24 hours! It's called "midsummer vs midwinter".
Is it possible to charge these solar watches under LED flowering bulbs? These bulbs DO NOT create any heat at all. Just the light the plants need. So my question is... is this light simular to the light the solar watch need? Is this light - the amount and spectrum - enough to charge the battery/capacitor in a SEIKO solar watch? Here is an image of my LED flowering bulb (I have several bulbs of course).

Larger image - LINK

The SEIKO solar watch I have planned to look for is an V158-0AA0 or simular.

Here is an image of one of my SEIKO automatic watches I use every day,

Larger image - LINK

·
Registered
3,409 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
dont worry about it. they work for a long time with a single charge and they took charge from any artificial light

·
Premium Member
67,927 Posts
You can’t beat natural sunlight when it’s available but commercial chargers like the Surefire use what I assume are broad spectrum LED bulbs so I assume that the plant lights you describe will do the job also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts