WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Charging the lume?

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  ZIPPER79 
#1 ·
This is life of a general question, but I couldnt find the right subforum so i'll take it here since I am using my Oris Aquis.

Do any of you have any good tips about "charging" the lume so that it will stay bright enough for a whole night? This might be a sign my eyes are getting older (just 42 though, with no glasses), but I general i'm disappointed with the lume when i check the time in the darkness of early mornings in bed. The lume is simply not strong enough for me to be able to easily read the time.

I noticed that when I expose the Aquis - which is only 6 months old - to a bright flashlight the lume will "power up" for a while, but that wont last long enough to get me through til morning.

What i'm looking for mostly are some smart tips on how to easily "charge" the lume on a regular basis so it will last longer, but of course deeper scientific explanations are more than welcome too.

Winter is obviously coming so there will be even less of daily sunlight to charge the lume with.

Skickat från min Lenovo YT3-X50F via Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
I leave my Aquis on my nightstand each night and use it as a clock. I charge the lume with the lamp on my night stand. After about 8 hours I am still able to see the lume in a completely dark room.

#6 ·
I use a cheap black light flashlight I got on Amazon for about $10. It fully charges lume in a fraction of the time of a regular light source.

That being said, all lume is not created equal. Once you hit the max capacity (about 10 sec under black light) nothing you do will make it last longer without recharging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 · (Edited)
Mine is easily readable, all night. Your problem is either a) bad eyes, or b) using a light that isn't suitable for charging lume.

Assuming the issue is b), you need to understand that it's primarily light in the ultraviolet range that charges lume. That's why less than 5 seconds of outdoor exposure will make the lume so bright you can even see it glow in a well lit room. You need to charge it before bed with a light that produces sufficient ultraviolet. The best solution is an inexpensive ultraviolet flashlight, but even charging it under a regular bulb that produces 'daylight' warmth (for 20-39 secs) should do the trick.

#10 ·
Mine is easily readable, all night. Your problem is either a) bad eyes, or b) using a light that isn't suitable for charging lume.

Assuming the issue is b), you need to understand that it's primarily light in the ultraviolet range that charges lume. That's why less than 5 seconds of outdoor exposure will make the lume so bright you can even see it glow in a well lit room. You need to charge it before bed with a light that produces sufficient ultraviolet. The best solution is an inexpensive ultraviolet flashlight, but even charging it under a regular bulb that produces 'daylight' warmth (for 20-39 secs) should do the trick.
Btw, could it not also be c) bad lume? Never heard anyone complaining before about the lume on the Oris Aquis though.

Skickat från min SM-N9005 via Tapatalk

#9 ·
Thanks all for replying!

I think I should get a cheap UV flashlight and then try out duration.

The only time I have had the "a minute and then its fully charged" experience is in the summer in the sun. But I live in Sweden and this time of year and six months forward you don't get a lot of solar energy.

Skickat från min SM-N9005 via Tapatalk

#14 · (Edited)
Before retiring I use a led flashlight that's rated at 380 lumens for a 5 second charge and the Seiko lume lasts at least 6-8 hours.....

Headlamp Automotive lighting Light Lighting Automotive fog light

Reactions: elsjoc
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.