WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a raysman off of ebay recently and when I received it the battery indicator was only charged up to 3 out of 4 bars. I've been leaving it in the sun by the window for two afternoons in a row for about 3-4 hours per afternoon and it still hasn't gone up to 4 full bars. Could there be some sort of problem with the battery or the watch's ability to recharge?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I'd just like to point out that leaving your watch in direct sunlight isn't good for the resin, and that if your watch heats up a lot, it's not good for the battery either.

The Raysman takes quite a while to get to full charge, so I would advise you not to worry too much about it. It has the largest rechargeable cell of any G-Shock, so it will take a while -- same thing happened when I got my first Raysman, but it eventually got to full and it's never dropped since. Congrats on picking one up. :-!

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
The Raysman has a huge battery. Sjors once likened charging a Raysman to filling a swimming pool with a hose pipe.

There's no need for special charging regimes, just let it see some daylight and it will take care of itself. Could take a week.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Sjors once likened charging a Raysman to filling a swimming pool with a hose pipe.

Spilled my coffee reading that. LOL :-d:-d:-d

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
It can take days and days to charge up the Raysman.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I got my raysman in late feb this year. It came with only 1 bar on the battery indicator. I gave it direct sun exposure from time to time and left it in a room well lit by natural light. It finally got to full 4 bars last week. But I suspect it is not finished charging yet. Probably just got into the "Full" range, still got the rest to go before totally full if that makes sense.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Sjors once likened charging a Raysman to filling a swimming pool with a hose pipe.

Spilled my coffee reading that. LOL :-d:-d:-d
ausroamer, It appears that you are very adept at spilling coffee, and should have coffee just about every where, on everything. You spill much more, and you will be swimming in a pool filled with coffee. Maybe you need one of those kiddy sippy cups to keep from spilling! :-!:-d:)

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Here is how technically long it could take to charge the ML2016 battery with a Frogman (the Raysman should be similar):

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
If the rechargeable batteries in solar G's are like any other rechargeable batteries, it takes as long to charge the last 10% as it does the first 90%

Be patient, it will charge.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for the helpful info. I'm really enjoying the watch. It's got a real nice chunk to it.

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
I agree with everyone!

Once when I wanted to soak up the sun on a Yellow Raysman, I left it on the dashboard on a hot day. Much to my horror, I came back to it a few hours later and it was extremely hot to the touch and the LCD was completely black!

I turned the car and the AC on, and it went back to normal, so caution should be exercised for sure! I was quite worried for those few minutes!

Neil

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
The ML2020 battery is if memory serves me right manufactured by Panasonic. I remember Ozzie was quite upset over the fact that they (Panasonic) announced in 2006 that they will not manufacture it anymore because to few devices used it. It was an extra large cell for charging devices. Current line up of Casio's do not match the capacity of this awesome battery.

But just so you know, anyone who owns a Raysman and want to get replacement batterys do it as soon as possible. Panasonic still has a big stock that will probably last a few more years but it will eventually dry up.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
An update on my raysman. I've been keeping it out of direct sunlight while charging and just letting it sit in a brightly lit room with natural sunlight. It has actually gone down a bar now, with only 2 bars left.

At 2 bars, some of the main functions such as the EL light and alarms have been disabled. I've put it in sleep mode and still leaving it in brightly lit rooms hoping to get it back up to 3 bars. I really hope I didn't get a dud.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts