WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO, I keep reptiles that have UV lights in their enclosure, am I right in thinking that this type of light would charge Solar watches like the sun would?

I would just try it out, but I wanted to check if anyone saw any risk to the watches at all?

Just in case anyone really knows their lighting, its a 6% UVB fluorescent bulb at around 20" between it and the watch.

I know I'll probably get the usual 'just leave them by the window' answers but it's pretty grim in the UK at the moment so they aren't all getting their usual exposure, just wondering if some time in with my critters would help!

Thanks!

·
Registered
Just one more TX Timex Enabler Club - Broths Hams n Subs
11,676 Posts
Nothing can compare to Sun Power.

But any light will charge the battery, just mot as fast.

Even an overcast day is better than indoor lighting.... unless it is a focused beam.

Sent from Cyberspace Central Command

·
Registered
878 Posts

·
Premium Member
71,508 Posts
Any chance chance that you could leave them outside? It may not looks a whole lot different to a windowsill but in the U.K. in winter I find that the glass filters out a lot of the good stuff. I’ve currently got two basking in the gloom that is my bedroom windowsill. Fortunately I’m not in a rush to get them topped off so they can stay there for the days on end they seem to need at this time of year.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well I bought a halogen bulb (suitable for reptile enclosures), which I think is 75W, with the very same idea in mind and it certainly works.
Naturally it gives off a fair amount of heat, so you need to be careful but I'm not sure that it's any better than regular tungsten or LED bulbs.

As others have said, nothing compares to natural outdoor light, even on a dull day.

I normally now place my watches over an LED lamp so as not to worry about heat, and it works well.
After a short time, the luminous hands and indices really glow, so there's certainly some energy transfer taking place.
I've noticed this even with a short exposure to dull daylight too, so I think natural ambient light is best of all.

As you've no doubt got a vivarium setup, just leave your watches bathed in the light and I'm sure there'll be fine.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your responses guys - I imagine ambient light is still the way to go, shame as I thought this might be a good way to charge them up to full in one sitting.

I'm getting better with my 'must be on H' ocd with my solars but it still annoys me haha!

·
Registered
905 Posts
I am charching my Seiko solar 439p1 diver by putting it by the window and pulling the crown to stop the watch. Aftr a couple of days - 8 hours a day- it gets fully charged.

·
Premium Member
71,508 Posts
Thanks for all your responses guys - I imagine ambient light is still the way to go, shame as I thought this might be a good way to charge them up to full in one sitting.

I'm getting better with my 'must be on H' ocd with my solars but it still annoys me haha!
You're not alone in that Mulv - If my solars aren't on 'H' I get into a right tizzy. :-d

·
Registered
1 Posts
youtu.be/54ahn3m9tf8

Here I am sharing an idea I had while unpacking my watch. It's an inexpensive homemade system that takes full advantage of the enormous sun light power. The speed of charge is very fast when compared to the lumen energy of an LED system available online. Such electronics may also interfere with time sync signals per Casio user manual and are meant for those who don't have sunlight available.

The system in this video shows how to cool your watch so the screen does not ever go blank to protect electronics due to excess sun heat. So don't worry about voiding the manufacture's warranty or warnings of leaving the timepiece exposed to the sun as it will never exceed a temperature a few degrees above the environment temperature. Specially if you do it early in the morning like I show it.

Some watches have a Multi-Band 6 radio time sync. Some may even receive GPS time signals when out of range of the Multi-Band 6 transmitter stations. If you set it before going to bed, it will charge by itself with no manual reconfiguration after syncing. Automatic sync could happen at 12 AM, 1 AM, etc. and solar charging starts at dawn.

Tough Solar is a Casio solar watch technology that uses solar panels on the display and a rechargeable lithium battery instead of non-rechargeable types like alkaline.

My watch is always perfectly timed and I never EVER need manual adjustments of ant kind. The battery is trouble free and you can use the light and all 5 alarms as much as you want. I bought a recently made watch as I don't trust batteries that were stored for a long time.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Mulv. WatchUP69 reviewed a watch charging LED device called the CoolFire on his YouTube channel recently.
Thanks for this - very interesting, might have to invest in one of those!

Reactions: Dxnnis

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hi Mulv. WatchUP69 reviewed a watch charging LED device called the CoolFire on his YouTube channel recently.
I have one as well. They work well. I've had a few watches now that were stubborn about sticking on "M" that I left on the coolfire LED for a while and they hit and stayed at "H". Not as cheap as the sun but way more convenient if I'm being honest.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
No charging issues in sunny California.
Sorry, I had to rub it in.

:D

One downside is, that here you often find not only watches on high.

Reactions: Rocat

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Thanks for this - very interesting, might have to invest in one of those!
I have one too. It’s sort of a trickle solar charger; although it’s not too bright, it does give the benefit of discreetly charging all night long when the sun’s down.

·
Registered
425 Posts
hm. i found out by accident, that mine (gw 9400) charges simply by an usual led bulb or led pocketlamp. so i guess any kind of light, artificial or natural at a certain brightness, will charge the watch.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Correct, @watch-ing, although the stronger the light the better!

Here’s a chart from the manual for a 3159 module (which isn’t in your GW-9400, but is in the 5610 series):

Seiko’s new digital Tuna apparently has a light sensing meter so you can see how strong the light source is that’s charging it. (I think @Marrin has a video on it.)

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Correct, @watch-ing, although the stronger the light the better!

Here’s a chart from the manual for a 3159 module (which isn’t in your GW-9400, but is in the 5610 series):

Seiko’s new digital Tuna apparently has a light sensing meter so you can see how strong the light source is that’s charging it. (I think @Marrin has a video on it.)
Yup, here it is:

Sent from my SLA-L22 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yes, I've often thought that the 'quality' of light from LEDs is not as good as other forms of lighting.
Although painfully bright to look at, they are so efficient (cheap to run) that they simply don't give off sufficient energy for the rapid charging of solar cells.
A 4 Watt LED might be as bright as a 60 Watt incandescent bulb but when we look at efficiency (light output versus loss through heat), an LED is about 90% and the bulb is only 10%.
The bulb whilst being more costly to run, nevertheless converts almost double the amount of energy to light.
4 W LED = approx 3.5 W of light
60 W bulb = 6 W of light

Figures vary enormously but you simply can't get energy out of something that you don't put in, in the first place.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts