WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've a GX-56 with of course Tough Solar.
But since a while the battery will go to medium in a few minutes, so I've to charge it again.
My question; How do you it? put it the sunlight, or under a lamp?

5 minutes in bright sunlight should be enough for the rest of the upcoming days, but mine need to charge every single day to keep it on high level.

- So, how do you charge your tough solar G ?

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
You'll need more than 5 minutes! It's a big battery. The good news is, once you have it fully charged, you may never see it drop down to medium again.

Your charge level is on the boarder between high and medium. That's why it keeps moving between the two. At this time of year, you probably won't have enough sunshine to get the charge level to the high end of high. Even on medium charge, the battery will still last something like 6 months without ever being exposed to light, and if it doesn't go into energy saving mode. Check your manual for more accurate data.

Also, search the forum. There has already been a lot of discussion on charging the batteries.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts

The threshold between Med and High is between Level 2 and Level 1. So you still need 49 hours of cloudy daylight to get it to full charge. "High" does not mean "fully charged". There is no indication for that.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Mine charge themselves with no input from me.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the comments ;) - Will keep my G the upcoming days on the window-sill.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Thanks for all the comments ;) - Will keep my G the upcoming days on the window-sill.
Good idea. Just leave it in the window for a day or so. The sun doesn't even have to make an appearance for the watch to charge. Mine never leaves high. :-!

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
A day in the sun like this during the summer will see it through to next year :)

·
Registered
272 Posts

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I change all my solar powered watches with a flashlight that gets to about 190 lumens when sunlight is hard to get.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
I have a GW300 that sits on my bathroom sink about 6 feet away from the window. It has stayed at full charge about 2 years now. I put it there one day and now both I use it and my wife, when getting ready for work in the morning. I have several watches so that one has found a place where I would never have thought it would be :) It also always get a radio sync there b-)

I do not recommend letting it stay in a hot window all day. Sun and heat destroys resin. If you want to put it in direct sunlight I would suggest putting it in a glass or bowl of water to keep it cool helps the resin and battery. How much, :think: I dont know but hey its easy and free to do it that way :-d

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
A day in the sun like this during the summer will see it through to next year :)

Hey Maine!!! Now thats a great idea!! I assume the silver is speaker wire...whats the clothespin being held with, another speaker wire??? GREAT PHOTO!!
Geode

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Hey Maine!!! Now thats a great idea!! I assume the silver is speaker wire...whats the clothespin being held with, another speaker wire??? GREAT PHOTO!! Geode
Thanks! Not speaker wire, just a clothes line in the back garden :) The pegs were just clipped to it in order to provide balancing mass.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a Mudman Solar tough last night.. Hopefully I wont have problem with charging the watch here in Malaysia.. The sun really shines here..

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Hey Maine!!! Now thats a great idea!! I assume the silver is speaker wire...whats the clothespin being held with, another speaker wire??? GREAT PHOTO!!
Geode
Nope, that's 99.999% OFC 2.5mm clothes-line wire. ;-)

·
Registered
596 Posts
I've left them on the dashboard of the car before for a day and that works well. As long as you're not in the public where people could just break and take.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
depending where you are and the amount of sunlight you get it will overcharge the battery. I live in so Ca and in less than 1 hour the watch face goes black and gets very hot. I do not recommend letting a G Shock sit on your dashboard. Excessive heat and cold are hard on a battery. Heat can cause them to expand and leak. Most G Shocks can handle cold very well but I think that will also shorten the batteries life span.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi All,

I live in Colorado, where there is plenty of sunshine. When my g-shock needs charging, I wear it on a bike ride, that usually goes for 2+ hrs. Fully charged when I get home.

Tom V.

·
Registered
157 Posts
just wear it. simple is that, they were designed to charge while youre wearing them, they dont need any special treatment for charging

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
I leave my solar G's in the sunlight for 3-4 hours every 3 months and that does the trick.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just leave all my solars in my glass case in the window sill, although I do have to rotate some because i only have 10 slots

1 - 20 of 20 Posts