WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've noticed that generally watches over $200 or so with quartz movements are frowned upon on these forums, but I'm really taken with the look of the Chase-Durer Strike Force GMT watch. I've not heard of this company before, and even a search of these forums didn't turn up much. Does anyone have any experience with Chase-Durer or that watch in particular? Also, it is listed at 45mm diameter, and as a watch newbie I'm finding it tough to picture whether that might be too big for my 7.5" wrist. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
11,276 Posts
Chase-Durer watches are frequently considered "poser watches", IMHO.

I am sure others can chime in.

Having said that, I am not at all disinclined to expensive quartz watches ... watchuseeks even has its own Hi-end Quartz watch forum. ;-)

S

·
0 Posts
Chase-Durer watches are frequently considered "poser watches", IMHO.

I am sure others can chime in.

Having said that, I am not at all disinclined to expensive quartz watches ... watchuseeks even has its own Hi-end Quartz watch forum. ;-)

Don´t think they qualify for "Hi-end Quartz". Visited the CD booth at Basel some years ago. Wasn´t impressed.

·
Registered
11,276 Posts
Don´t think they qualify for "Hi-end Quartz". Visited the CD booth at Basel some years ago. Wasn´t impressed.
Correct, Mike. When I was expressing a weakness for hi-end quartz watches, I wasn't thinking of Chase-Durer at all, but more along the lines of thermocompensated quartz movements. I just wanted to put the following quote in perspective:

I've noticed that generally watches over $200 or so with quartz movements are frowned upon on these forums

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Opposed to quartz movements, no.

Opposed to Chase-Durer, yes.

Mike W.

V

·
0 Posts
Well, the styling can be a wee bit too flashy/tacti-cool for me. But they do use some pretty nifty ETA/Ronda movements that're not often seen in similar price band watches.

Specs/features wise, good bang for the $. I would expect Swiss Army quality, which is pretty good.

Chase Durer is Swiss Made, but its an American brand. Watches are manufactured in Switzerland under contract for the company. I think the owner is a Hollywood producer or similar. Google some yah?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have one I dont remember which, its a chronograph. It keeps very good time, however the bezel is frozen. I think its pretty good for a $200 watch. It's a nice cross between a tool watch and a dress watch. I think the the swiss army and a seiko dive watch would be of better quality...

·
Registered
804 Posts
Speaking of whihc, has anyone seen or had any experience with the Chase Durer Warhawk "Flieger" Syle watch? This puppy is supposed to be 50mm withouth the crown and has got a titanuim 18mm thick body. Its got the standard Unitas manual 6497 mvt.
Here are a couple of scans:
Just curious.....;-)

Attachments

S

·
0 Posts
Hands to short imho, 8 and 10 are eaten by the sub dial. No good design and not necessary either.

A touch better:

BWC

Another way to to it:

Dubois et Fils (also available in black)

Also a possibility (but not good balanced)

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have a UDT 1000. Its actually a pretty cool watch and has been pretty reliable. You can get them discounted.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have the UDT 1000 XL as well. I don't know, it keeps great time, the fit and finish is fantastic, and I dig the looks. What's not to love? ;-)
If the price is right... go for it!
-Reed

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I too have the UDT 1000, and certainly do not consider my self or the watch as a "poser". It is IMO a well made attractive watch that keeps accurate time as it is a quartz. To each his own.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Domer........Please read my post in PUBLIC forum regarding my experience:rodekaart
  • Ive owned a modest number of watches & the CD is the first to have an internal Movement failure after a mere 3 years of service
  • Im just your average business traveler & this watch has only seen the best treatment
  • I am very disappointed in the failure & will not support any CD products ever again.
  • I still have an old Heuer from the early 80's that has seen sea duty as I am a former scuba diver & it still works:-!
  • Internet photo attached for CD model type
Merry Christmas to all...........Im in the market for another Military watch & that is good news for me...............Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Speaking of whihc, has anyone seen or had any experience with the Chase Durer Warhawk "Flieger" Syle watch? This puppy is supposed to be 50mm withouth the crown and has got a titanuim 18mm thick body. Its got the standard Unitas manual 6497 mvt.
Here are a couple of scans:
Just curious.....;-)

I've has one for two months and really enjoy it. Got it to celebrate my 40th b-day. I was in Portland and someone at Watchworks pointed me in the right direction. :thanks
Runs around +3 sec. and it's huge on my 6.75" wrist. :-! The chocolate dial goes nice with the titanium case.

While I think the gap around the 30 in the sub-seconds dial is a bit strange, I like the 'bitten' look on the 10 and 8.

No problems so far....

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't have any idea what people seem to hate about Chase-Durer, they are still in watch man. terms a new company, and offer a good quality watch for a modest price tag. I also have heard nothing but great things about thier cust. serv. . I happily wear my Abyss 1000 Prof. with pride that I got a high quality auto diver for less than a Tag w/same movement. If you like the watch buy it and enjoy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't have any idea what people seem to hate about Chase-Durer,
Hi Tom..........I was taken in by the military style advertising & the great look of the black PVD watches...........Ive just had bad luck with my Special Forces Assault watch.........The movement failed after a mere 3 years & when I received the repair I noticed the chrono hand is contacting the hour hand........Its now back in Beverly Hills at CD hopefully getting corrected...........Best Regards, Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
I understand being upset with a failure but that is why we look for warranties because things do go wrong, now if they don't satisfy you than that is something to hold a grudge about. by the way I really like Mr. Wilson, LOL !!!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have two quartz Chases, a Wing Commander and a Pilot Commander...both are very solid and well made; the Wing has a somewhat rare YM55 movement, while the Pilot has a more run of the mill OS80...neither movement is particularly "high end", retailing last time I checked for around $30 or so...and that is my problem with, for example, the Pilot; it sells for around $400 with a $30 movement...not that this is unheard of, but there are probably better values out there...but the watch itself is a good piece that I enjoy wearing...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I understand being upset with a failure but that is why we look for warranties because things do go wrong, now if they don't satisfy you than that is something to hold a grudge about. by the way I really like Mr. Wilson, LOL !!!
Tom.......Youve got to love Wilson:-d.......What a great movie & it really hit home for me..........This deal w/ CD is not under warranty (2 year warranty expired).....Its on my dime or $113.00.....The rework to correct the hand interference is on them at this point.........Dont get me wrong, I liked CD enough to lay down over $350.00 but its the first movement failure Ive experienced.......The watch advertises as bullet proof & I was expecting more..........Best Regards, Joe

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've owned the Pilot Commander since my dad gave it to me as a present for my first solo in 1996. So it is a bit sentimental to me. I've flown a lot of Cessna flights proudly wearing the CD Pilot Commander. I haven't had any problems with the watch. Despite being "lower end / quartz," it is a pilot watch none the less. Buy what you like and always keep your chin up.

While reminiscing I just realized most of my "clock" experience while flying Cessnas and Pipers is using a trusty kitchen countdown timer that was loud enough to hear in the cockpit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts