WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I need your educated opinions and I haven't been able to find any comments on Chase Durer in the forum. Are they good wathches? Prices seem to be ok, but I'm concerned about quality. In particular the Special Forces model 146.4BB4-NYLB.

S

·
0 Posts
Well, you´re right. We haven´t hat many discussion on Chase-Durer watches here on WUS and this may be a sign that most of our frequent posters don´t own one.
I once had a closer look on CD watches at Baselworld some years ago. I wasn´t convinced that they will become a beater. They look nice but there´s nothing very special what makes a CD a CD.

The price-quality-ratio seems to be ok. The 146.4BB4-NYLB model for sure is worth the price.

The 146.4BB4-NYLB is powered by an ETA 251.272 quarz movement ("Normalflatline") which I wouldn´t rate as high end; case diameter is only 38mm and made out of SS 316L. I´d prefer a chrono with 40mm at least.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Not these days there a very nice watch most a them !! they do make a few cheaper models ! But make some that cost as much as $19000.00 now and are all now Swiss made NO jaapn movemnts nothing !! and now have become the most worn watches by pilots in the world !! This got started because they advertised in the papers or magazines on planes !! I just bought the Special forces model Underwater demolishion .. Oman has ordered them for all there special forces .. many of the USA fighter groups have them made with there own patch on them ! ... So in short there now a MUCH higher quality made watch !! The one I bought is quartz but its the ETA 27 jewel quartz !!:gold

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I owned a C-D Special Forces UDT 1000M. I got it for a decent price and held it for about three months, and then sold it. I found that the finish was mediocre at best and that it was dis-proportionate on the wrist - it just looked and felt wrong. And I have heard these comments from others.

Anyway, just my thoughts. I would consider something else for a similar price point.

James

·
Banned
440 Posts
I have one Chase, don't like it very much
The price isn't that cheap, but also not very expensive, but something about the watch just doesn't seem to work on me, I don't know it just not feel right

·
Registered
519 Posts
I doubt it, I really doubt it......and I doubt there´s any proof.
Doubt it all you want I know atleast 3 fighter pilots that wear them and loads a bus drivers / comercial pilots !! and if you have a problem with a finish they will redo the finish and refurb it for little or nothing ! just my 2 cents and personal opinion .. There is gona be MORE wearing them soon because of the new lumi there just starting to use ! It a make a orange monster look like a dead battery almost as good as tubes ... :) :gold The license is up for a really HI end companys LUMI and Chase has latched on to it .. as have few other companys ! check out Chase Durer site and how many flight groups have there patch made on to models for them you will be surprised !!
:gold
http://www.chase-durer.com/sel/usaf.html
http://www.chase-durer.com/

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
A co-worker/friend of mine bought an CD "Abyss" in 2001. From a MIL catalogue. It looked real flash (impressive). He used to wear it in the surf, but after owning it for just a few months, the bracelet started to corrode and the watch case leaked.

His next watch was an ORIS TT1 which he has worn daily for almost 5 years and it's still going strong.

Just no comparison.

·
Registered
519 Posts
A co-worker/friend of mine bought an CD "Abyss" in 2001. From a MIL catalogue. It looked real flash (impressive). He used to wear it in the surf, but after owning it for just a few months, the bracelet started to corrode and the watch case leaked.

His next watch was an ORIS TT1 which he has worn daily for almost 5 years and it's still going strong.

Just no comparison.
I bet he never bothered to wash it off when he got out of salt water SS has to be TT don't and the crown got open some how IMO but its just IMHO ... Iam sure IF it was a failure of the watch they would a fixed it !FREE...But then I think Omega stinks so come se coome sa ...

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have one of their Fighter Command quartz watches that I received as a gift about six years ago. For what it is worth, it has been an outstanding watch. Build quality is good, very readable, and it has great timing and alarm functions.

Sorry, but no experience with their auto movements. :-s

Dave

·
Registered
219 Posts
I bought a Chaser-Durer DIPLOMAT in 2000, The watch was a very 'plain' one - hours, minutes, sweep second and date pointer with the dates on the periphery of the dial. Stainless steel case and bracelet - ETA automatic movement [I think a 2968 but I wouldn't count on my memory!] In any event it was a nice clean looking watch - and my first automatic mechanical watch. After a couple of years my son said he liked its look very much - so he has had it since. After a couple of years of his use the date pointer came off and I sent it to XXXX and CO. for repair and service. Chase-Durer reported to me that it had been out of production for a long while and they did not offer to do the repair or service. My son has been wearing it since it was returned, but does not wear it regularly nor does he keep it wound or on a winder so I can't report on its time keeping reliability. He and I still like its looks!

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I recently bought a yellow dial Chase-Durer Combat Command (Valjoux 7750). I was very reticent to get it, but it was part of a package deal that held a Glycine Airman 2000 that I dearly wanted. My hesitation was based solely on comments I had read on WUS a few years ago. At any rate, the price was more than right just for the Glycine, so I made the deal.

While waiting arrival, I asked several people who had owned C-D and found that most of the problems had been with quartz models. When I got the Combat Command, I was stunned at the high quality of F & F in comparison to what I had heard. With the exception of poor lume, it is a very high quality, very accurate timepiece that I enjoy very much.

Internet photo....

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
I recently bought a yellow dial Chase-Durer Combat Command (Valjoux 7750). I was very reticent to get it, but it was part of a package deal that held a Glycine Airman 2000 that I dearly wanted. My hesitation was based solely on comments I had read on WUS a few years ago. At any rate, the price was more than right just for the Glycine, so I made the deal.

While waiting arrival, I asked several people who had owned C-D and found that most of the problems had been with quartz models. When I got the Combat Command, I was stunned at the high quality of F & F in comparison to what I had heard. With the exception of poor lume, it is a very high quality, very accurate timepiece that I enjoy very much.

Internet photo....
But Ken, how on earth can we judge from your input? I mean really, you are so Polyanna about things;-)

High praise indeed coming from KenC!

·
Registered
519 Posts
And NOW starting with the 2007 models there using the Lumi only Rolex had a license to use all are coming now with 200 microns a the stuff and its pose to be as close to gas tubes as you can get !! I guess a few companys have rights to it now !:-!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Guys, I need your educated opinions and I haven't been able to find any comments on Chase Durer in the forum. Are they good wathches? Prices seem to be ok, but I'm concerned about quality. In particular the Special Forces model 146.4BB4-NYLB.
I bought a Chase-Durer women's quartz chronograph for my wife about two years ago. We both think it is very nice looking, and there haven't been any problems.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts