WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Approximately 15 years ago here in the UK, you could walk into any Beaverbrook Goldsmiths or Ernest Jones store in any town or city and view/try on any watch from the Omega collection.
In a bid to become more exclusive that came to an abrupt halt, it was now only more affluent towns and city's that were allowed to hold stock.
Since that time Approx 15 years ago It seems Omega has invested heavily in new and excellent movements special editions, precious metals, ceramics, 5 year warranty as well as hand building re invented movements in the 321.
Obviously this has all come at a price with increases year on year and another just around the corner.
At the moment you can still view and order Omega watches on the internet from any of the fore mentioned stores and many more, unlike Rolex where you are re directed to the official Rolex site.
So do you think Omega is now about to seriously chase the crown? Will we see the end of discounts at the ADs and 0% finance from some stores, will we be re directed to the Official Omega website when we wish to view their watches? Will there be a major investment in advertising now?
Can Omega seriously challenge Rolex?
Your thoughts please.
And let's try not to turn this discussion into a Rolex bashing exercise 馃憤

Registered
I don't think Omega needs to compete with Rolex, or any other watch house. They pretty much have high quality, exclusive movements ( 15,000 gauss and co-axial to name a few), and are already a reputable brand. They are themselves independent of other brands, they may not need any comparison with others, and their price point is reasonable for an "upper" Swiss brand.

Registered
I think Omega is just as good of a watch as Rolex, except with out the recognition. They need to get more of themselves into the mainstream so they become a household name. Any Joe Smcho can name Rolex. Only watch people can name Omega.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think Omega needs to compete with Rolex, or any other watch house. They pretty much have high quality, exclusive movements ( 15,000 gauss and co-axial to name a few), and are already a reputable brand. They are themselves independent of other brands, they may not need any comparison with others, and their price point is reasonable for an "upper" Swiss brand.
I agree with what you say, but from a business point of view and the investment that Omega has made with their movements etc is it not time now to capitalize on that investment?
Rolex are beautiful watches with classic designs and have invested heavily in brand recognition, maybe too well as they have more customers than watches. Omegas movements and quality products are surly future proof for many years now, so should Omega now concentrate more on brand recognition like Rolex?

Registered
I agree with what you say, but from a business point of view and the investment that Omega has made with their movements etc is it not time now to capitalize on that investment?
Rolex are beautiful watches with classic designs and have invested heavily in brand recognition, maybe too well as they have more customers than watches. Omegas movements and quality products are surly future proof for many years now, so should Omega now concentrate more on brand recognition like Rolex?
I'd have to say that their business model or goal may not be focused on brand recognition like Rolex. Many other brands are exclusive such as Patek, AP, Cartier, Breitling, Panerai, etc. and may not necessarily need recognition. Perhaps Rolex's business plan is to maintain (and keep) their recognition to sell watches, whereas other brands don't focus or need it. Perhaps, they (other brands) do well without being recognized like Rolex.

Louis

Registered
I dont think omega hasn't anything to worry about, they are as good as any other watch co out there making some amazing watches. Rolex is over hyped.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
You may well be correct, I'm no expert in marketing of various watch brands, I just find it interesting. I was always of the opinion that Omega was in direct competition with Rolex only on the back foot. I see it that Omega have laid the foundations for a strong future and should now capitalize on sales via brand recognition and take advantage that Rolex cant supply to demand. If I were on the board at Omega, I would put brand recognition high on my list. Maybe it's best I'm not! 馃槃.
Either way I own both brands and enjoy them both equally.
馃憤

Registered
Omega is absolutely on par with Rolex but they have two different strategies. Omega pumps out special editions, new colors, etc. allowing anyone who wants one to get one. Rolex makes very subtle changes since their models are probably a little more 鈥渋conic鈥 while controlling the supply. Realistically, the demand for a Speedmaster is probably quite similar to the demand of a Daytona.

Registered
So do you think Omega is now about to seriously chase the crown? Will we see the end of discounts at the ADs and 0% finance from some stores, will we be re directed to the Official Omega website when we wish to view their watches?
Not until people are lining up at the AD wanting a watch that is mass produced but cannot buy and paying a premium for a second hand one. Omega has a long way to go for that to happen, the common Joe still doesn't know about Omega.

Registered
I think the only thing Omega have ever competed with Rolex over is Divers and depth ratings.

Did you see the recent Omega Dive to the bottom of the Pacific, clearly aimed to best Rolex鈥檚 earlier attempt with James Cameron鈥檚 little yellow submarine (Or was that the Beatles)

I personally am glad that Omega are still available from their AD鈥檚 as why would anyone want to upset their customers at the Rate that Rolex currently are??

Just as a closing point I think that the average non WIS has heard of Omega as much as Rolex, I saw just as many Seamaster 鈥淧ension lump sum purchases鈥 as Subbys amongst my work colleagues.

Reactions: Alfa2600

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
I think the only thing Omega have ever competed with Rolex over is Divers and depth ratings.

Did you see the recent Omega Dive to the bottom of the Pacific, clearly aimed to best Rolex鈥檚 earlier attempt with James Cameron鈥檚 little yellow submarine (Or was that the Beatles)

I personally am glad that Omega are still available from their AD鈥檚 as why would anyone want to upset their customers at the Rate that Rolex currently are??

Just as a closing point I think that the average non WIS has heard of Omega as much as Rolex, I saw just as many Seamaster 鈥淧ension lump sum purchases鈥 as Subbys amongst my work colleagues.
No I didnt hear about the Omega deep dive, I've just found an article about it so will have a read later.
Agree with you on the availability of Omega watches though, I doubt anyone wants them to become unattainable.

Registered
I don鈥檛 think they can - at least not until people get seriously bored with the Rolex game and maybe the recession will force that. But in which case it鈥檚 not happening for any brand imho.

Info think the other brands are raising prices on the back of Rolex coat tails. My DJ41 was 5450 two years ago - a colossal sum for sure but now they want 6150 for one - if you can find it at all. I think Rolex hype is driving the industry up, in some cases but there鈥檚 only so much slack there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Dang, how disappointing! I clicked on this thread thinking somebody was telling their story of searching and finally finding and replacing a crown they carelessly ripped off their Omega...

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
I don鈥檛 think they can - at least not until people get seriously bored with the Rolex game and maybe the recession will force that. But in which case it鈥檚 not happening for any brand imho.

Info think the other brands are raising prices on the back of Rolex coat tails. My DJ41 was 5450 two years ago - a colossal sum for sure but now they want 6150 for one - if you can find it at all. I think Rolex hype is driving the industry up, in some cases but there鈥檚 only so much slack there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When I ordered my DJ41 it was pre price increase, but it arrived 2 weeks after so had to pay 拢6150 馃槚. Also the price difference between a DJ41 and ND Sub is only about 拢100 now!
Still I do enjoy it 馃憤

Registered
Honestly, I'm so happy with the superior movement and METAS cert that they've imposed voluntarily, that Rolex has become an afterthought of boring complications and mediocre looks. Granted, they (Rolex) are the perceived benchmark elected through mass marketing, I see Omega as an elevated performance piece... In other words, Rolex is the Mercedes, easily recognized as the standard of quality and luxury... Omega is more like a Porche or other out-the-door performance luxury brands. It's just a step above.

Registered
Honestly, I'm so happy with the superior movement and METAS cert that they've imposed voluntarily, that Rolex has become an afterthought of boring complications and mediocre looks. Granted, they (Rolex) are the perceived benchmark elected through mass marketing, I see Omega as an elevated performance piece... In other words, Rolex is the Mercedes, easily recognized as the standard of quality and luxury... Omega is more like a Porche or other out-the-door performance luxury brands. It's just a step above.
WOW! Nice! 馃槈

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
So in that case I have a 911 c4s cabriolet a 718 spider and a 500sl merc 馃檪 nice 馃槃

Registered
Let's face it, the general public think that a Rolex is the best watch in the world. It needs a subtle approach from Omega to get over that. They need a promotion along the lines of "Why do you want a Rolex, when you could have an Omega?" and implying that those in the 'know', know that the Omega is better. A bit like James Bond when asked if he wore a Rolex and said "No, Omega".

They will know when that pays off when people say, "Well I could afford a Rolex, but I bought an Omega instead".

Reactions: Alfa2600

Registered
Watch people give me crap once in a while about liking Omega so much.

Honestly I don鈥檛 care what other people think about my watches.

I have 12 modern Omegas and two new Rolex. I think about selling the Rolex watches all the time as I don鈥檛 enjoy wearing them. I feel like I鈥檓 showing off. Which means I guess I care what people think :). I don鈥檛 want to be pretentious. Omega feels natural and in line with my values. Great product at a reasonable price.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts