WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Most industries settle into a duopoly of sorts and in terms of middle luxury watches it’s already settled into a Omega and Rolex game, with everyone else trailing behind and picking up the scraps.

Omega does need to get there by chasing anyone. They already are there, and are maintaining their position with a completely different marketing, design and selling strategy.

There’s a reason why Omega is commonly referenced on Rolex forums and vice versa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Thinking might be time to move on from Rolex. All the incomings seems silly all the naming talk gets old.
It's one thing to be disillusioned with the brand, but to still enjoy the watches. However, you seem to not be enjoying the watches. If that is indeed the case, then I think you're right...time to move on.

Best of luck!

René

Reactions: solesman

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm sorry but Rolex on a different league now not because they produce better watches it's because of the hype and status they achieved... Rolex produce solid iconic watches, it did not deviate during the quartz crisis, they ably conservative strategy in updating their watches, and the company remained privately owned...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Omega makes watches that are every bit as good as Rolex and in some cases better than Rolex. Just look at their Co-Axial movements, the finishing of their cases and their bracelets. Please. The only thing Rolex has on Omega is marketing.

And I'm sorry but I love the thought that I can walk into an Omega AD and pick up a watch of my choice and if they don't have it, they can get for me within a few days without being put on some stupid waiting list that basically doesn't exist.

I will NEVER understand the Rolex craze that has taken over the last 3-4 years. It makes NO sense to me.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I'm sorry but Rolex on a different league now not because they produce better watches it's because of the hype and status they achieved... Rolex produce solid iconic watches, it did not deviate during the quartz crisis, they ably conservative strategy in updating their watches, and the company remained privately owned...
they were part of the quartz movement
but yes they stayed conservative on their design

·
Registered
130 Posts
Rolex history is more consistent, yes they did make quartz watches but it was on very small scale, they did not make gold plated watches, value retention and appreciation is excellent, and they had / have strong cult.
OMEGA on the other hand, had more than 50% of its portfolio as quartz, they used an improved ETA version for long time, and they were even sold in mall floors like Tag. From the eighties until early 2000s OMEGA was lost...
Rolex worked hard to get where it is now, and in last decade OMEGA also did a remarkable job in restoring their status but they still have long way to go, we should be enjoying both brands.

Reactions: Cod Holliday

·
Registered
363 Posts
Rolex history is more consistent, yes they did make quartz watches but it was on very small scale, they did not make gold plated watches, value retention and appreciation is excellent, and they had / have strong cult.
OMEGA on the other hand, had more than 50% of its portfolio as quartz, they used an improved ETA version for long time, and they were even sold in mall floors like Tag. From the eighties until early 2000s OMEGA was lost...
Rolex worked hard to get where it is now, and in last decade OMEGA also did a remarkable job in restoring their status but they still have long way to go, we should be enjoying both brands.
Very well said. Its only been 15 years or so since Omega has seriously started to up their game. PO was a serious contender to the Submariner, then came precious metals and ceramic dials, superior bracelets and better finished movements. Now think, Rolex has been doing exactly the same for 50+ years and consistently. Omega is like decades behind in that.

Not in tech, but in consumerism and brand peception. Ultra rich still hoard Rolex and not Omega. The new SMP Diver has earned a lot of accolades. The new Bond LEs are cleaner and better built. If they can somehow manage to clean up the Speedmaster line, they can put up a real contender to Daytona SS.

Let's see how it plays out. But if they keep doing what they are doing, I think they will only get more prominent and earn more respect.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts