WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the look of the Explorer II, but can't afford it on a college budget. There is the Poor Man's Grand Seiko (SNKE01 Seiko 5) but at 36mm it is just a bit too small. I've seen Alpha's version but I am not necessarily looking for a straight homage watch and don't want it to be mistaken as a replica of the Explorer. So are there any affordable models from reputable brands that have similar styling? I particularly like the Explorer bezel with the numerals, and would like a watch with similar features. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,873 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That Debaufre / Steinhart looks very good, but I'm afraid it looks too similar to the Explorer in that I feel like people will think I am just trying to wear a cheap replica (overthinking, I know). The reason I like the Seiko 5 SNKE01 or the Grand Seiko GMT is that it has similiar chracterisitics but is it's own watch. Unfortunately the Seiko 5 is justa tad too small and the Grand Seiko is out of my price range (goes without saying the Explorer too). I will say that the Debaufre looks like great quality for a homage watch and is very within my budget, so I will keep it in mind.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
That Debaufre / Steinhart looks very good, but I'm afraid it looks too similar to the Explorer in that I feel like people will think I am just trying to wear a cheap replica (overthinking, I know).
Just to be sure which watch you mean when talking about the "Debaufre/Steinhart", this is the Steinhart Ocean Vintage GMT.
oceangmt_vintage_01.jpg
Image from the Steinhart website.

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
I'd look at a vintage Certina DS. The watch is more waterproof at 200M, can withstand being dropped from about six feet (rather than about two) onto a solid floor because of the patented isolastic suspension system and the 25-651 movement can compete directly with the Rolex of the period on accuracy, robustness, longevity and even decoration. As Certina were another victim of overstretch during the Quartz crisis and are now just another zombie brand, the Certina name is not as highly regarded as it was in its day. However, the watches remain as exceptional as ever. The DS2 is a 'matter of taste', but the DS still looks good and can be picked up on a student budget with money spare for a service. Rather than buying a cheap imitation of a classic watch, get a watch which is a classic in its own right and competed toe to toe with Rolex and Omega in the Golden Age.

This rather excellent site will give you a bit more detail:

Vintage CERTINAs ¦ Home

Alternatively consider the Seiko Spirit or Alpinist as these are positioned midway between the GS and the 5 and are equipped with the 6R15 movement which isn't bad at all and competes well with mid level Swiss stuff like the 2824.

http://www.seiyajapan.com/c=l4R6te98b01QwXc9L58V69dLk/category/3_seiko_quartz_etc_/

Good luck

Matt

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just to be sure which watch you mean when talking about the "Debaufre/Steinhart", this is the Steinhart Ocean Vintage GMT.
View attachment 444948
Image from the Steinhart website.
Ahh I see, had a different model in mind. Will keep in the running, thank you.

Why ever would you want to settle for something less.. ???
Not settling for less, I hope one day to get an Explorer but since I am a cheap college student, need a casual sporty watch for the time being.

MKII LRRP would be my choice :)
Will keep in mind thanks.

There is another forum to ask this.
I would also try in the section below... think you'll get a lot of response:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/
I'll ask in that forum, thanks. When I had the OP in mind I was thinking along the lines of the Explorer's numeral bezel and how much I liked it, and forgot about the general use of it on other GMT watches not specific to Rolex. Guess this is a discussion better suited for the non-branded forum.

Good luck

Matt
Thanks will look into as well!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Steinhart is Still Steinhart all over the world except in The USA. where it is now called Debaufre. something to do with a conflicting name to a similar company registerd in the USA.
And the supposed Steve Mcqueen Explorer a 1655 was not worn by him. Its just made up IMHO. if anyone can find me a non doctored picture a $5 reward is on offer. he always wore a sub.

·
Registered
335 Posts
sorry, there's no substitute... save and get the real thing. though it is a tough market right now, pre-owned can be had for $3k.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts