WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of a new everyday watch, and not sure which direction to go. I currently wear a Seiko SNK809, which I really like, but after dropping it last week something is rubbing the weight on the inside as it spins around which slows the weight down and makes quite a bit of noise, and the watch actually stopped at one time. I have had the watch for two years and wear it all day every day, the replacement watch will get the same treatment. I have been looking at the invecta 8926OB and really like it, but I am concerned that an automatic (in the $100 price range) may not be the right choice for an everyday watch. Should I be concerned about this, and just go with a quartz of some sort? The eco-drive models interest me, but I like an automatic better (in concept at least).

I am always open for suggestions if someone can suggest another watch I should check out. I am looking for something around $100+/-, metal bracelet, non-chronograph with date. Doesn't have to be a "dive" watch like the invecta, but it will get wet from time to time.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
In the $100 range, you'll have more choices with quartz. But if another automatic makes you happy, that's what you should get. At a bit over $100 there are plenty of choices in the Seiko 5 range, and from Orient. I'm sure some specific suggestions will be along soon.

Millions of people are wearing inexpensive automatics as everyday watches. But it is best not to drop any watch.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I think wearing a mechanical watch will be more interesting than wearing a quartz.

The OP can pick a style/design as the first step, and there should be plenty of options for every style in the $100 - $200 range.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am in need of a new everyday watch, and not sure which direction to go. I currently wear a Seiko SNK809, which I really like, but after dropping it last week something is rubbing the weight on the inside as it spins around which slows the weight down and makes quite a bit of noise, and the watch actually stopped at one time. I have had the watch for two years and wear it all day every day, the replacement watch will get the same treatment. I have been looking at the invecta 8926OB and really like it, but I am concerned that an automatic (in the $100 price range) may not be the right choice for an everyday watch. Should I be concerned about this, and just go with a quartz of some sort? The eco-drive models interest me, but I like an automatic better (in concept at least).

I am always open for suggestions if someone can suggest another watch I should check out. I am looking for something around $100+/-, metal bracelet, non-chronograph with date. Doesn't have to be a "dive" watch like the invecta, but it will get wet from time to time.
Quartz

Works better and will last longer. The cheap autos will end up in the bin within 10 years.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Seiko, Citizen or Orient. I would like at those lines for sub $100 options (for both auto or quartz).

I picked up a Citizen Eco drive perpetual calender watch used here on WUS and it is a true beater - a real grab and go.

If you want quartz (UHF) look at Bulovas on sale. I have this one and love it.
bulova-mens-96b230-military-analog-display-japanese-quartz-brown-watch-a5d.jpg

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
If you only want to own one watch then a Citizen eco-drive is an excellent choice. Go for whatever style you like but try to get standard lugs in a conventional size (not an integrated bracelet or 21mm width etc).

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you only want to own one watch then a Citizen eco-drive is an excellent choice. Go for whatever style you like but try to get standard lugs in a conventional size (not an integrated bracelet or 21mm width etc).
There is no problem to find straps for 21mm. Just buy the watch you like!

·
Registered
33 Posts

Nothing is wrong at all with getting the Invicta, I own one, given I modded the dial and finishing, but it has been working well for me. It can take a whole lot of a beating too, although the bracelet scratches easily. I also have no issues with water resistance, as it works well everytime I swim or shower, plus I think it goes without saying that the majority of the new automatic Invicta divers have a fantastic movement beating within them (the SII NH35 (4R)). Otherwise, you could also go with the Casio MDV106-1A, which is a quartz watch, well below your price point, but also a great value for the money and is generally well received, it is a larger watch but it has served me well and is very durable in my experience.

If you are willing to go a bit over your price range, you can get one of the Seiko 5 sports divers, like the SNZF15. I also see the occasional price drop for the Orient Mako's and Ray's online on Amazon to a bit over 100ish.

But, if you really like the Invicta, get it, if you like the style and it appeals to you, you might as well. It is a pretty stable watch and can take a good beating day to day.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Oh and if you can find a bit more green then get a Seiko BFK diver.

You could fire that out of a cannon into a volcano and still get a lifetimes use from it.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Noone above 20 should buy an Invicta. It is just ridicolous. Like grown man walking around in T-shirt.
THIS; this is totally true. It was written in the Magna Carta. Now, I need to get back to horse and buggy shopping - have a good day.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
The 8926 you are interested in has a better version of essentially the same Seiko movement that was in your SNK. If you want a dive watch, that is a pretty safe watch. Or there are plenty of Seiko 5 watches and Orient in your price range if you want an automatic. If you want a watch that will survive drops, get a G-Shock.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts