WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Cheap Automatics

2K views 27 replies 24 participants last post by  BarracksSi 
#1 ·
I've noticed automatics by Seiko for under $100 on Amazon. Are these any good? I'm certain they don't have sapphire crystals. The five year service would cost more than the watch. are these considered disposable?

#2 ·
Yes, affordable Seiko automatics are very good. I wouldn't worry too much about servicing costs to be honest, just wear it for years and run it into the ground and then must pick up another cheap movement to swap into it (or just buy another Seiko full stop). Many people have Seikos that are 20+ years old and never been serviced but are running fine, those movements are workhorses.

#3 ·
I own a $100-or-so Seiko 5 dress watch that has served me pretty well! The bracelet it came on wasn't the best, and the movement, visible through a display case back, is very plain, however accuracy is pretty decent, and considering that I do not dress up often, the watch gets the job done for me just fine! Yes, the watch uses a mineral crystal, as expected for this price range, but considering the overall decent quality of the watch it is still a steal of a deal, and I recommend the Seiko 5 series to people on tight budgets all the time. As far as servicing/life of the watch goes, I will simply wear mine until it no longer keeps time reliably, and retire the watch. Because I don't wear it very often, I expect I'll get a decade at the very least out of it.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Great watches for the money. They're certainly not going to be dethroning any Grand Seikos or Jaegers, but for under $100, pretty amazing how much you can get.

If you want the highest quality entry level Seiko, look for ones with a 4R movement, which adds features to the standard 7S26.

#7 ·
Yeah, I'll just parrot everyone else and say that those watches are great. They run well, they're attractive, they come in an absurd variety of styles, and they start at $50-ish. The only caveat is that the bracelet on the cheapest models isn't so great -- most people just put them on a different strap.

#8 ·
I am actually wearing one right now. The model is SNK793 and I picked it up for about $60. Like others have mentioned the bracelet is very cheap but I spent about another $30 on a Hirsch strap. It is great quality for the money, looks pretty nice, and I don't mind if I bang it up a bit. This watch has actually gotten more compliments than the Seiko/Hamilton watches I own costing nearly 10x the price.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Wrist Blue

#10 ·
I am actually wearing one right now. The model is SNK793 and I picked it up for about $60.
I have that one, too. The blue dial is really beautiful. I've been asked if it's a Rolex. I mean, obviously not by people who know anything about watches, but it shows that people see it and think it's something special.

(Mine is on a fine mesh bracelet. The shiny silver complements the blue very nicely.)

#12 ·
Only few people want to service their cheap Seiko watches, they probably will spend the next decade in a drawer.

#13 ·
I just bought another 2K Seiko without a sapphire crystal...

They're good for what they are, but what I don't like is they're throwaways. You won't service the watch unless it has real sentimental value to you, typically you just throw it away or bury it in a drawer and buy another, something about that just doesn't sit well with me.

#14 ·
In their price range, I prefer Citizen-Miyota automatics; I like being able to hand wind a watch. All entry level watches from Seiko, Citizen-Miyota, and even Sea-Gull are pretty reliable, and I've read many stories of them lasting decades without needing servicing.

Reactions: Nokie
#16 ·
I prefer the entry level Orient and Seikos to Miyota. For one, a lot of entry level Seikos do hand wind and hack, and we're coming to a point in the next couple of years where all Seikos will do that. Orient you have to pay a little more for to get those, but you can get a power reserve, which I like. I also prefer the magic lever system. And, at any rate, I've had better luck accuracy wise with cheap Seikos and Orients than Miyota, although I'm not sure what the consensus is on cheap Miyota. I don't see them talked a lot about here (usually just the 9000).

#17 ·
I have a 2008 Seiko 5, which I broke when I dropped on a concrete floor a few years after purchase, when it was out of warranty. I serviced it for $60 through the AD and it has been working brilliantly ever since. (This was before I got interested in watches, and knew no better).

They do have sapphire crystals with AR coating, and they are excellent. I can only give full praise for these.

#18 ·
My father has a Seiko 5. He bought it more than 20 years ago and had never serviced it. Amazingly it is still running!!!

#22 ·
My Seiko 5 SNK803 I only got a few weeks ago, but so far no problems besides being a bit small for me. Although at that price point, I can't complain. Its affordable even for a college student like me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.