WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Sorry for asking this question again, but I didn't receive any answers the last time...

My question is regarding the pricing of the Speedmaster. A mechanical cronograph that you can get at the same price as a non cronograph Breitling. As for a chronograph it is unexpensive compared to others. Why is it so? Are the movement in other chronographs better and more expensive to manufacture?

Maybe a provocative question, but it isn't ment to be. :)

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Not cheap, more like appropriately priced

What speedmaster are you specifically asking about, and what Breitling are you comparing it to? Might help with the answer. The speedmaster line goes from the Date to the Professional to the Broad Arrow, each with different levels of pricing, primarily based on movements, but other things such as finish detail and co-axial escapement. Many consider the Valjoux and Lemania based Speedmasters to be among the best values (or at least appropriately priced) in high end watches, and the F. Piquet based Speedmasters (the Broad arrows) to be kinda pricy.

In my opinion(just my opinion), Breitlings do seem to be a little over priced. At any rate, some extra information with your question would be helpful.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply..

I was refering to the Moonwatch. It just seem much less expensive than other chronos, for example Breitlings. Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with a watch being resonable priced. I just wanted to know if there was a catch, if the lack of water resistance could be the answer etc...

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
My 2-1/2 cents

I remember seeing your previous inquiry but, frankly, it seemed like a can of worms to me. I'll give it a shot, anyway.

Omegas, in particular, Speedy Pro are considered a very good value, great "bang for the buck." The Lemania movement is considered by many to be one of the best chronograph movements, period. I can't think of another chronograph movement in the same monetary ballpark that can touch it. Other opinions may differ, but I don't think Speedy's reasonable price is any indication of a lack of quality.

There are a lot of things that go into pricing a watch, from quality of construction, to acquisition and price of materials. In my opinion, one of the largest factors is reputation, marketability, and prestige.

I have little experience with Breitlings, so I shouldn't comment on their motive but, I will use Rolex as an example. Omega and Rolex are often compared and many would argue that Omega meets or exceeds the other in quality. However, one brand fetches much higher retail prices. I belive that part of that disparity is based on reputation and prestige of the brand name. There are obviously other factors, but I think this plays a role.

Again, I have little experience with Breitlings and, much more experience with Omega than with Rolex. I'm trying to make a more general comment on the reasons why some watches, which seem quite similar, may be priced quite differently.

By the way, you might consider posing this question to the Breitling Forum, too.

eric

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
The Moon watch for one is a manual wind movement without any extra bells and whistles. There is only moderate water resistance and no date function. Its not a Certified Chronometer, and it does not have a hack feature. The watch has virtually remained unchanged since its introduction in the 60s(or 50s not exactly sure of the original date). There are no different dial colors, at least in most markets, basic black (except for LE's). Really nothing much. Basic watch, basic but very reliable movement.

I recently had this argument with my Brother in Law. He ended up getting a Breitling navitimer Heritage. MSRP of $5250. What he got in that watch is: Automatic movement, certified chronometer, flyback feature, 1/5 second chronograph dial, tach bezel, slide rule bezel, date feature, hack feature, and it comes in three different dial colors. "Bells and Whistles" However, the movement in the watch is a nice, but not uncommon ETA base with a chronograph module. This is where the Speedy Pro is better. The Lemania is a true chronograph, not a modular chrono. But again, those extra bells and whistles make for a pricier combination.

So, the short answer is its hard to compare apples to apples a Speedy pro to just "any" Breitling Chrono, without looking at all what is offered. In my example, the movement is perceived to be better in the Speedy pro, but it offers much less otherwise, hence one of the price differences.

Does this help?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot,

I think this answer enlightended me a lot. As you said, the Speedy is obioulsy a great watch, but also a rather basic one.

I guess that my initial question could look as I'm trying to start a fire, let me assure you that this was not the purpose. I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

Thanks for all your answers!

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Thanks a lot,

I think this answer enlightended me a lot. As you said, the Speedy is obioulsy a great watch, but also a rather basic one.

I guess that my initial question could look as I'm trying to start a fire, let me assure you that this was not the purpose. I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

Thanks for all your answers!
As a certifiable "Speedy Nut" (I own four), I assure you that I took no offense. Yours was most valid and welcomed inquiry.

Without a doubt, there are a number of very fine chronos on the market but IMO, none with the value, classic design, reliability, mystery and history of the Speedmaster Professional.

The only way to understand the "Speedy mystique" is to own one, or two, or three, or. . .

;-)

Fr. John+

1 - 7 of 7 Posts