WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several recent threads have mentioned the SGW series of non-G Casios and how good value they are.

Now, I'm still under a buying ban but one has to plan no? Which made me look at these SGWs a little more closely (the less the ££ the more likely the Boss will accept them) and I'm initially very interested.

Take for example, this:

The SGW300HB-3AV featured online at £42 delivered and has Altitude, Barometer and Temp but not Compass. It's 200m waterproof, 5 alarms and world time. Plus this one looks pretty slinky esp with the fabric strap.

Then there's the SGW100 and the SGW200 models which also appear to offer our non-atomic G functionality but at half the price.

So who's had experience of this models and what do they think of them? Do they really offer good value when I can get a G7900 for £70 and live without knowing the outside temp/my altitude etc.

61J8xAa553L._AA1000_.jpg

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hi Andrew,
I had a SGW100 which I bought for around $38USD and thought it was a cracking buy. But, I also have a Suunto X-Lander which is one of my favorite watches, so whenever I needed any ABC capability, I grab the Suunto. Eventually I sold the SGW-100 due to lack of wrist time, but one of these might be what you need. It was very easy to read (large digits and fairly non-cluttered screen), slimmer than a G, and I had the one with the nylon band, which was very comfortable.

I think I might be buying non-G Casios a lot from now on. I have the AQS810W in Drab Olive and it gets a ton of wrist time. At $42USD, it is a great buy. I seldom get myself into a situation where my watch needs the shock resistance of a G, so non-G's suit me fine. And, as you point out, they are normally a bit cheaper than G's.

Hope this helps.

Several recent threads have mentioned the SGW series of non-G Casios and how good value they are.

Now, I'm still under a buying ban but one has to plan no? Which made me look at these SGWs a little more closely (the less the ££ the more likely the Boss will accept them) and I'm initially very interested.

Take for example, this:

The SGW300HB-3AV featured online at £42 delivered and has Altitude, Barometer and Temp but not Compass. It's 200m waterproof, 5 alarms and world time. Plus this one looks pretty slinky esp with the fabric strap.

Then there's the SGW100 and the SGW200 models which also appear to offer our non-atomic G functionality but at half the price.

So who's had experience of this models and what do they think of them? Do they really offer good value when I can get a G7900 for £70 and live without knowing the outside temp/my altitude etc.

View attachment 772374

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
I know you're just looking at the watch, and not the AB module, so honestly, for the price, that is as good as a ProTrek (and not that a ProTrek has a better alti-baro). May not be as tough as G, but it surely is equivalent to a ProTrek.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
I have the SGW-100 and SGW-200 for quite some time now and since yesterday also the SGW-300. This series offers tremendous value for the money and shouldn't be underestitmated at all. In some points they are better than any G, in others not so much but they never fall short in my opinion. And for a person like me who is not supporting any longer any solar watches, the Lithium batteries are a HUGE bonus and more than welcomed.

cheers

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have the SGW300H and SGW100 and they are both solid watches with identical or near identical ABC(T) functionality and performance as the ProTreks/Pathfinders. Which is to say, sub-par compared to Suunto and others. But they are "good enough".

The SGW300 is an ABT (alti, baro, temp) watch with 200M WR(!), has the standard 24hr 1/100s STW, 24hr 1s CDT, world time, LED backlight and 5 alarms. It is low temp rated -10C (14F) but is actually rated the same as a standard G-Shock. A low temp rated G-Shock goes to -20C (-4F). If it had a full resin case and the internal shock protection, this would be an solid G-Shock.

The SGW 100 is Compass (w/ delineation adjustment) and Temp, 100M WR, 1hr 1/100s STW, 24hr 1s CDT, 5 alarms, world time and EL baclight. I do wish the compass stayed on longer though but it gets the job done. The display on this is my favorite of all the Casio's and G-Shocks I have. The digits are just huge and easy to read and the display itself has a matte finish that is very effective as an anti-reflective finish. And although this is a positive display, when you activate the EL backlight, the digits glow blue/green and not the background. So it is a positive display with an negative backlight. Pretty cool.

Though probably not as tough and shock-resistant and the G-Shocks, it should be able to withstand just about anything you could subject a watch in normal use. Neither of these 2 watches should be relied upon for absolute accuracy though. More for quick reference or backup. I don't have a ton of use with these but I have taken each on various hikes and kayaking trips and they did just fine. The ABC+T functions are not like a Suunto Core/Vector but neither are the ProTrek/Pathfinders and they leave a lot to be desired. But they work OK with calibration and constant adjustments. If you're on the fence about getting one of these or both, go ahead and do it. They are pretty inexpensive for what they offer. Both of mine cost ~$40 USD (ea.) and you can probably get them for less online.

SGW100

SGW300

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
@ Coolio,

has anyone ever told you, that you have extremely good photopgraph skills? Those two pictures are the clearest I have seen ever of a SGW-100 and SGW-300 |>

Not even remotely as good as yours, but I try to get better (I can always insist that my camera sucks, lol)

cheers

·
Registered
271 Posts
@ Coolio,

has anyone ever told you, that you have extremely good photopgraph skills? Those two pictures are the clearest I have seen ever of a SGW-100 and SGW-300 |>

Not even remotely as good as yours, but I try to get better (I can always insist that my camera sucks, lol)cheers
Thanks for the kind words cal..45. I'm still an amateur but I try and have a good camera/lenes. :-!

BTW and OT, are you into 1911's. Just wondering judging by your screen name. :-s

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
In some points they are better than any G, in others not so much but they never fall short in my opinion.
My major gripe with the cheaper Casios is the widespread use of the more scratch-sensitive acrylic crystals instead of mineral glass. Personally, I find those an almost unacceptable shortcomings. IMHO they should make the watch a few bucks more expensive and add mineral glass.

·
Registered
271 Posts
My major gripe with the cheaper Casios is the widespread use of the more scratch-sensitive acrylic crystals instead of mineral glass. Personally, I find those an almost unacceptable shortcomings. IMHO they should make the watch a few bucks more expensive and add mineral glass.
I find that the crystals are set deep enough to avoid most scratching opportunities. No scratches in mine yet. And even if it get a scratch, it should be easy enough to either buff out or to just live with it. It's a tool to me so if it gets scratches and dings, it just adds "character". As long as I can see what is being displayed, I'm good. :-!

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Thanks a lot for posting this Andrew, didn't knew this one existed, looks like a great value for money and I was just searching for Casio with altitude/temperature :)

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
The SGW-100 and SGW-200 do have mineral crystals. The SGW-300 has acrylic (flat) and I think the SGW-400 as well (domed), which is for me the total no-go, because of massive reflections.

BTW and OT, are you into 1911's
I'm not particular a fan of 1911's but a big fan of the .45 ACP, which I consider still one of the best cartridges ever developed.

cheers

·
Registered
271 Posts
The SGW-100 and SGW-200 do have mineral crystals. The SGW-300 has acrylic (flat) and I think the SGW-400 as well (domed), which is for me the total no-go, because of massive reflections.

I'm not particular a fan of 1911's but a big fan of the .45 ACP, which I consider still one of the best cartridges ever developed.

cheers
I didn't realize they have mineral crystals. I'm kinda glad I didn't pick the 400 up then. Isn't the SGW400 ana-digi too? :-s

Yeah, the .45 is a nice hard-hitting round. I still prefer the 9mm since it is cheaper to shoot and the +P/+P+ hit hard too. Since I'm from the US I have to love the 1911( :-d) but I'm a fan of the HK USP's for some reason. Well better stop before I get banned... ;-).

·
Registered
271 Posts
...the display itself has a matte finish that is very effective as an anti-reflective finish.
I have to make a correction. I looked at my SGW100 again and I guess I was remembering wrong. It does not have a matte finish on the crystal. It does however look like it does from certain angles. Still the one of the best displays I've seen though.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Coolio,

yes the SGW-400 is ana-digi, which is - besides the domed crystal - the main reason I will never acquire this one. There is an easy way to find out if a watch has a mineral or acrylic crystal: just klick with your fingernail on the crystal and hold the watch near your ear. A mineral crystal makes a muffled sound, an acrylic crystal a higher pitch. But I also have to stand corrected @ MRG-1000, the SGW-200 does have an acrylic lense indeed. Pretty impressive, given the ammount of abuse this model has seen on my wrist and still looks like new, could have sworn it is made of mineral ;-)

cheers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts