WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last thread I could find about this on this site is from 2009 - since then a lot has changed, ETA has released a new family of movements and the 7750 has shot up in price. That being said, I would love to own one, new if possible. I have $4-500 to purchase a new watch, but would be willing to save up to $700 if I find the perfect watch with a 7750. Is it even possible to find in that price range anymore?

Reactions: Immortus

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
I am not aware of a new Watch in this price range, fitted with a Valjoux 7750 Chronograph movement.

This is a fairly expensive movement, where the movement itself probably sells for around your price range.

Hopefully, more knowledgeable folks here will be able to assist you.

All the Best!

Reactions: cmann_97

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
Check Bargains thread of F71. Occasionally watches w 7750 come up for sale in GM in <$500 range. Especially around big sales like Black Friday.
But it is not common and usually one-off deals. Things like Bulova, Victorinox, maybe Invicta, perhaps a Hamilton Chrono (or very rare Fortis or Tissot)- they come-up on sales for $400-500 range.

https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/heads-up-i-saw-bargain-here-list-place-thread-5-2016-a-2728537.html
monitor it regularly and you'll find deals for 7750. Or just keep an eye on Jomashop and Ashford

Reactions: cmann_97

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Do a search on Amazon for the 7750 in watches, you'll find a few Bulova's and an Invicta or two in your price range. Look on Joma and you'll find some more.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
There have been a few holiday deals for 7750 chronos under $500, and in a couple cases, even under $400. As EnderW said, check the deals thread and don't sleep on a deal on a watch you like if it comes up.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Would anyone here be willing to explain why exactly the 7750 is more desirable than other auto chrono movements?

As far as the original question, it would seem the best chance of getting a high value watch with this movement would be to look at makes owned by swatch itself, I.e. Hamilton, Certina, etc. Just thought I'd state this in case it wasn't already obvious.

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
Would anyone here be willing to explain why exactly the 7750 is more desirable than other auto chrono movements?

As far as the original question, it would seem the best chance of getting a high value watch with this movement would be to look at makes owned by swatch itself, I.e. Hamilton, Certina, etc. Just thought I'd state this in case it wasn't already obvious.
Wild guess, but likely because 7750 is the most affordable swiss chrono movement, with proven track-record and great ability to customize features.
Other Swiss auto chrono movements cost much more (EL Primero and other in-house ones).
Basically the only competition in >$1K space for auto chronographs comes from Chinese movements. Even Seiko 8R48 Automatic Chronos will be $2K and up.
There is nothing wrong inherently with Chinese, but in a choice between 7750 powered "Swiss" and a 7750-clone powered Chinese - Valjoux 7750 is preferable.
Heck, even Seagull auto chronos can also push into $1k territory.

·
Registered
337 Posts
A number of options recently. There is the RT, which I've owned for all of about two weeks and really like-- 300m WR, not too big, chrono action is great, just crazy about it, $625 and likely to jump up to it's usual $920 sometime this week:

Watches at Gemnation.com

Then there's this one, which I've owned about a month and also like a lot, though only 30m-- I have the blue version, which is very easy to read. This bezel design is a scratch magnet, which is the watch's only drawback, but an excellent deal at $435.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017VF4UM...UTF8&colid=EKWFYP8VMFEM&coliid=I1L985NOQSX2Q6

If you're willing to give up lume, WR, and the tachy, you can go even lower. These Bulova Geminis are now about $500 new, or $350 "like new" and often come up for around $380 or so new on Amazon or Ebay.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019A73V7...UTF8&colid=EKWFYP8VMFEM&coliid=I2ABLJGJZ6HYHR

https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/head...-list-place-thread-5-2016-a-2728537-1259.html

And yes, I am also very partial to the 7750 for all the reasons noted above and low cost to service (and generally easy to work on). So far, the Tellaro and the Revue Thommen are both about +10 and settling, so accuracy is very good. I had a good year last year, but I'm not sure I will be able to afford the service costs of most other automatic movements 5 or 10 years from now, or that this will be how I want to spend my money, etc.

Reactions: garchy and rfortson

·
Registered
36,280 Posts
Got a new Swiss Made 7750 delivered for $359US the weekend after Black Friday last month. Amazon Lightning Deal.

Note the relatively scarce countdown bezel.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
More desirable than which chrono movements? The 7750 is a good movement in that it's accurate (up to COSC standards in the highest grade), reliable, durable, and easy to get serviced in many places due to how common the movement is. Functionally, it's an excellent movement, which explains its popularity. More expensive chrono movements might have some nice but non essential features the 7750 doesn't, like column wheel actuation or vertical friction coupling.

As far as other movements in the 7750 price range, the most obvious other option would be a 2892 base with a DD chrono module piggybacked on. The 7750 is preferred by most over that for a few reasons. It's easier to adjust an integrated chronograph movement and more interesting to look at from the back. The DD module also cannot be serviced and has to be replaced with a new one, which a lot of people don't like.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ashford has recently had the Hamilton Khaki Field chrono (38 or 40mm?) below $500 after discounts, which I think is great; it's among the smaller 7750s you can find nowadays. They've also had the Pan Europ chrono for ~$600 multiple times (right now it's $588 after discount).

I think patience and caution on ebay is the other way to go. I picked up my Alpina Alpiner Chrono in "like new" shape (it was perfect) for $630, and it's running well better than COSC standards. You can definitely find new or like-new products on ebay for under $700. I also got a LE Christopher Ward with a 7750 for under $700. It's sort of an homage to the IWC Portugueser, but I like it and I got my lucky number single-digit number.

If you've got the wrist presence for larger watches, you can probably find Hamilton Jazzmaster Maestro chronos for ~$500, but those suckers are 45mm. I made that mistake one time... at least I got my money back!

·
Banned
182 Posts
If you don't mind another Hamilton in your collection, check out the X-Wind Chrono. You may be able to find a preowned on eBay for $700. I have one, myself. Part of me wants to sell it. The other part likes it too much...though I've only worn it a handful of times.

Reactions: garchy
1 - 20 of 33 Posts