WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the packet with yesterday's Ultra Prestige was a Chilex from P. Chil (ets Chil), Paris 3[SUP]e[/SUP] .

With a similar Bagobloc back as the Ultra,

It runs the same movement as in my Sossine, which was identified courtesy of Mirius and his Mirus, as a Femga 520, rather different from the one shown by Roland on his great Ranfft resource.

I figured that that crystal would likely need replacing, which, even if it had polished up nicely, would have had to be changed anyway as it has turned a little cloudy in places.

But the watch is slightly more problematic than just a simple crystal change, as you can see from the photos the stem is slightly too long, and the crown, which is probably original, is well worn, making it rather more difficult to wind and set than it should be.

I can find a replacement winding stem easily enough, so the next thing is to find a similar crown, which, hopefully, I'll have time to look for next week. So nothing too difficult for my very rudimental skills.

Once it's done it should be a nice looking older relative to my other Chilex.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Another nice one John. You could try improving the grip on the crown with a fine file - maybe.:think:

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another nice one John. You could try improving the grip on the crown with a fine file - maybe.:think:
Thanks for the idea, I may try that if I have problems sourcing a suitable crown. I've seen ads for packs of vintage crowns sold by weight, but getting a few hundred of them to sort through seems a bit like overkill when I only want one. I'll have a look at places like Cousins, when I have time to battle through their website that is :-d

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
congrats John and good luck with the work, hope you find the parts
Thanks Joe,

Luckily although it's a bit fiddly I can set and wind it using fingernails, and then, happily for me, it runs just fine. So, until I've got all the bits together it's wearable and usable.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you cant find a new crown you can always resort to a winder, the ones like a big spring loaded pin vice.

Most of them are in the $ to $15 range.
Thanks for the idea Jim, I'm searching for a donor case for a watch of the same period at the moment, so the ideal would be to find a donor with a dead movement but with a decent crown. About as much chance as winning the lottery I know, but I still dream!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts