WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 358 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello.

Firstly, can I say that I am creating this thread for f71, as I believe that it is in "the spirit " of the affordable Forum, to have a small review of an affordable bracelet.

The bracelet in question is one that I picked up while browsing the 'Bay. Its of Chinese manufacture ( I suppose most are, regardless of what trade mark they carry) The point is, this one cost less than £15. I'd like to show you a direct comparison between it and the Strapcode Super Engineer 2, with a passing reference to the Super Engineer 1.

Lets be clear, I'm not having a dig at Strapcode nor am I promoting the Chinese site. It's a case of Money talks if the product walks...

So, a picture of three Super Engineers. left to right, Strapcode Engineer 1, Chinese and Engineer 2
Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery Belt buckle Material property

Same order
Reptile Snake Fashion accessory Scaled reptile Jewellery

As you can see, the Engineer 1 is more rounded than the other two. I only include it here for a shape comparison. It won't feature any more as its hard to find and the Chinese is a replica of the Engineer 2.

When I ordered the Chines version, I asked the vendor about the thickness of the links. His short reply was "45". They aren't. But the shape helps them to look thicker than they are.

Also note that the Chinese version won't take 2.5mm "fat" bars. It will take 2mm which are available if you look around.

The end pice of the Strapcode bracelet is screw fitted while the Chines version has friction pins.

The links themselves are, IMO of a very similar quality. Perhaps in places, there is a tightness between one row and the next on the Chinese version, but generally that, and the screws holding them, are of a decent standard with very little rattle. In the versions that I have, the ends of the links are polished. If you want brushed, Strapcode do a brushed version, and motor factors do an Ultra fine abrasive cloth for the Chinese version.
Fashion accessory Jewellery Necklace Chain Turquoise

The proof of the pudding with most bracelets is the clasp. Again the Chines have stepped up to the mark and supplied a very similar clasp to that of the Strapcode bracelet. There is a sharpness along the edge of the safety clip on the Chinese version, but that is soon knocked of. Both have twin push release and the overall build quality is pretty similar.
Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory Jewellery Metal
Material property Technology Fashion accessory Electronic device Beige
White Fashion accessory Design Strap Material property
Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory Metal

The Strapcode version has the engraving

A last look at the compared Bracelets.
Black Games Watch Silver Watch accessory

Strapcode Super Engineer 2 $93.99/€79.40/£68.59 (today)

Chinese Super Engineer $19.30/€17.04/£14.76

Thanks for reading.

K.

·
Registered
9,493 Posts
Cool, thank you for your write up Kubby. It's a pity that it doesn't take Seiko fat bars but 'skinny fat tip' bars can be had online. I'm just wondering, is it easy to switch the generic clasp for a genuine Seiko branded one that you might happen to have on another bracelet?

·
Premium Member
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, thank you for your write up Kubby. It's a pity that it doesn't take Seiko fat bars but 'skinny fat tip' bars can be had online. I'm just wondering, is it easy to switch the generic clasp for a genuine Seiko branded one that you might happen to have on another bracelet?
It would appear so. Both bracelets have a spring bar at either end of the clasp, that makes the connection to the strap itself. You can see it in the last picture. The other end of the clasp to that pictured is released by the micro adjustment spring bar.

I've described that badly, but I think you get what I mean.

K.

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
I've always found Strapcode products to be overpriced when the same thing, or very near to it, can be had for much less. They do have a very good range of fitted bracelets for Seiko watches though, and I guess you have to pay for that.

·
Registered
9,493 Posts
I've always found Strapcode products to be overpriced when the same thing, or very near to it, can be had for much less. They do have a very good range of fitted bracelets for Seiko watches though, and I guess you have to pay for that.
That's what you pay the money for isn't it, the nicely shaped end links that fit your watch smoothly. I like the look of the Strapcode stuff and some of their blasted finishes look fantastic but for the big saving I'm happy to give this cheaper one a go on my Tuna.

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
That's what you pay the money for isn't it, the nicely shaped end links that fit your watch smoothly. I like the look of the Strapcode stuff and some of their blasted finishes look fantastic but for the big saving I'm happy to give this cheaper one a go on my Tuna.
Not all their bracelets and straps are made to fit Seiko watches, but even the straight end bracelets (as pictured) are over the top, price wise IMO.

·
Premium Member
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great comp, Kubby! Thank you!
Thanks, Chief.

A further point of interest for the owner with a generous wrist. The Chinese provide quite a long bracelet. I took 4 links out and it's on the middle micro adjustment hole when I wear it.

K.

Reactions: ChiefWahoo

·
Registered
678 Posts
I love both Strapcode AND their Chinese counterparts.

I refuse to pay top dollar for a straight end bracelet when a suitable replacement can be had for over 3/4 the price.

Only issue with Chinese is usually the long shipping time.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Great find! I thought the clasp would be the same cheap folded one they put on the cheap silicone straps but it look better than those.

I think I might get a PVD one for a bit of variety.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Thanks Kubby, I just ordered one each of the brushed and the PVD in 22mm and another set in 20mm. That was a great find!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
From the seller's photos it looks like it's possible to remove 4 links on one side of the clasp, and none on the other side. Is this correct? If so, this seems a bit "iffy". Especially for someone like me with 6.25" wrists.

·
Premium Member
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
From the seller's photos it looks like it's possible to remove 4 links on one side of the clasp, and none on the other side. Is this correct? If so, this seems a bit "iffy". Especially for someone like me with 6.25" wrists.
The one that I have, has screw links on both sides. I would think that an adjustment for your wrist size is a given.

K.

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Never had a bracelet yet where links couldn't be removed on both sides of the clasp, otherwise the clasp would be way off centre.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
The one that I have, has screw links on both sides. I would think that an adjustment for your wrist size is a given.
Thanks. I realized after my post that the screws on the other side of the clasp were probably not visible in the photo (located on the opposite side of the links).

I've had bracelets that could not be sized down far enough to fit a 6.25" wrist. Not common, but they do exist...

·
Registered
322 Posts
I had searched the seller username on the US version of ebay and they didn't have that bracelet listed on the US Ebay site. So, I emailed them inquiring and this was the response I received:

"hi friend, this item we don't sell xi76299 USA website,you can buy in UK website,and then we also will send ePacket to USA country."

So, I just ordered 1 silver and 1 black from the Ebay UK site. Thanks for the heads up!! I've wanted a super engineer for a while now

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Awesome review.. been eyeing the Strapcode SE 2 for a while but could never get myself to order it given the price tag.. thanks to you I now have an affordable clone on the way!!

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Great write-up. I am pissed at Strapcode, I got a super engineer off ebay with the straight end links for cheap and asked Strapcode to ship me a pair of sumo end links. First they quoted me a ridiculous price (29,99 + post), I hassled and got the postage included and then they refunded me cause supposedly the end links wouldn't fit. I thought they were milking the cow dry trying to make me buy another super engineer set but they may be just protecting their business, since anyone can buy the cheaper version and have it retrofitted with the appropriate end links.

Hope that vendor starts offering some end links for particular Seikos as well

1 - 20 of 358 Posts