WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Hi Allen,
I got one of e-bay. This was my first watch as a collector albeit a risky one. I had to go to work so I put in a max bid of $203.50. I didn't really think I would win and was vary happy when I got home and had won for $203.00. Shipping was $50 so $253.00 all together. I have owned it for 5 1/2 months now. It's the skeletonized st-80 from Minorva. It has a power reserve of 43 hours. I timed it for 7 days in the crown up position and it was only 15 seconds fast for the week! I get compliments on it all the time and I spent the first week of owning it just starring at the tourbillon with a loop. Not sure if it is a problem or not but sometimes I can here a pinging sound. It almost sounds like a small echo of a tick. I think it may be the pallet fork hitting the banking pin hard as a result of having to stop the momentum of the carriage. It has not yet worsened with age and my local watch tech told me not to worry. This watch also survived an accidental 15 inch drop of a table to a wood floor. To my surprise my jeweler said the small diamond on the pointer looks real. Fit and finish is excellent at least to me. QC could have been better I notice a small red fiber say 10Th the size of a human hair tangled in between the second crown wheel and it's screw. I would recommend but only if you can get one for under $500. I'll have a good camera after Christmas so I will post Pics then.
HTH

Attachments

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,785 Posts
Hi Allen,
I got one of e-bay. This was my first watch as a collector albeit a risky one. I had to go to work so I put in a max bid of $203.50. I didn't really think I would win and was vary happy when I got home and had won for $203.00. Shipping was $50 so $253.00 all together. I have owned it for 5 1/2 months now. It's the skeletonized st-80 from Minorva. It has a power reserve of 43 hours. I timed it for 7 days in the crown up position and it was only 15 seconds fast for the week! I get compliments on it all the time and I spent the first week of owning it just starring at the tourbillon with a loop. Not sure if it is a problem or not but sometimes I can here a pinging sound. It almost sounds like a small echo of a tick. I think it may be the pallet fork hitting the banking pin hard as a result of having to stop the momentum of the carriage. It has not yet worsened with age and my local watch tech told me not to worry. This watch also survived an accidental 15 inch drop of a table to a wood floor. To my surprise my jeweler said the small diamond on the pointer looks real. Fit and finish is excellent at least to me. QC could have been better I notice a small red fiber say 10Th the size of a human hair tangled in between the second crown wheel and it's screw. I would recommend but only if you can get one for under $500. I'll have a good camera after Christmas so I will post Pics then.
HTH
At last a report of a few months running |> Until now, I have only read initial (always favourable) impressions of Chinese tourbillons. I think this is the first Sea-Gull tourbillon that I have seen reviewed.

I'm glad it's working out so well. That was an amazing price!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Chascomm,
I knew you were waiting for this in fact your rough guide to Chinese skeletons was a big part of my decision making process :gold
I was waiting to comment until I had my own pictures but this post came up first. Besides mine I have seen these go from $1,100 to $500 dollars. I think some perspective bidders were scared off because the seller of this watch had bought several different watches but this is the only item he has ever sold. I read all the feedback he had left or received and none were for this type of watch so I have no info on that transaction. After I bought it I thought about asking him how much he paid, and why was he selling but decided against it. This watch appeared new and was expertly packaged but perhaps he had buyers remorse or did not like the way it sounded. If a normal watch sounds like tick tick and an out of balance watch sounds like tick-ding tick-ding mine sounds like tick tick ding or tick tick tick ding. Like I said it doesn't always do it and it doesn't seam to matter how wound the mainspring is. Have you ever heard of any other tourbillons periodically making a slight pinging noise.
If I were a rich man I would buy the rose gold one just for comparison;-)
Cheers

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,785 Posts
Hello,
Finally got around to getting some pictures.

Cheers Chris
Thanks Chris :-!

That's got to be the best skeleton movement from China. The texture and sense of depth is unlike the cheaper skeletons.

It's so shiny that I wonder how hard it is to read the time. On the other hand, with the tourbillon to look at, do I really care what the time is :-D

Have you ever looked at your watch to see the time, then become distracted by some other detail of the watch and forgotten what the time is?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
It's so shiny that I wonder how hard it is to read the time. On the other hand, with the tourbillon to look at, do I really care what the time is :-D
Once at a dinner party this watch got passed around & someone asked "How do you tell time on it?" As a joke I replied "Easy just reach into your pocket & pull out your cell phone"

Have you ever looked at your watch to see the time, then become distracted by some other detail of the watch and forgotten what the time is?
I would be lying if I said no :-d

When sunlight reflects off of the tourbillon onto other objects it's quite distracting. Especially while I'm driving :-x Cool effect though!
Cheers Chris

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I sent you a PM But this was the only Item he has ever sold. I recommend minorva88 or samson328. FYI I bought the bracelet separately from lonestarwatches.
HTH Chris
Thanx Chris I like this model and anotherone that I saw so now i will have to make my mine up since you had it how is it holding up, do you wear often, does it have a ting or pinging sound sound to it, is the winding smooth and also whats the reserve on it.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
hello Jackisbck,
Read my first post in this thread for a mini revue. The watch does make a tinging noise but always has and hasn't gotten worse.
I got a vintage watch that probably is due for servicing that makes the same noise. I'm not sure how often I wear it. Ironically I hardly ever get to wear my watches. I'm a painter so I only wear them on my days off. I kept it running straight for the first couple of months now probably about half the time. Winding and setting are smooth
Cheers Chris

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
Hi, just joined to ask about the variety of Chinese tourbillons. As far as I can see there are three variations. the one that looks vaguely like the breguet or a crow, one that has a circular shape and one which is just a bit of a mess.

So, first question: which of these is reckoned to be the most accurate/reliable/impressive?

Second question: I have seen reference to some very low prices but cannot find where. Are there any specific websites to go to or is it ebay?

And finally a comment: I notice that many of these movements are busy pretending to be Swiss ... what is the ethical position if you buy a fake in the full knowledge that it is a fake and because you are interested in the original mechanism and don't care if it isn't really a 'yayga la coolta'?

Cheers gents

Matt

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Hi, just joined to ask about the variety of Chinese tourbillons. As far as I can see there are three variations. the one that looks vaguely like the breguet or a crow, one that has a circular shape and one which is just a bit of a mess.

So, first question: which of these is reckoned to be the most accurate/reliable/impressive?

Second question: I have seen reference to some very low prices but cannot find where. Are there any specific websites to go to or is it ebay?

And finally a comment: I notice that many of these movements are busy pretending to be Swiss ... what is the ethical position if you buy a fake in the full knowledge that it is a fake and because you are interested in the original mechanism and don't care if it isn't really a 'yayga la coolta'?

Cheers gents

Matt
Question #1 why dont you buy one to find out.
Question #2 I wouldthink if you watch them long enough maybe one will pop up at your price.
Question #3 remember those are your words and i still say it is left up to the individual who buys it.

Im not trying to be smart but I think you could answer these yourself if you try one out.:)

·
Registered
850 Posts
Hey Particleman,
Great looking watch :-!
I can't tell from the picture...is the actual movement skeletonized & engraved, or is there a decorative plate over the movement?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Hi Matt & Welcome,

There is not allot of info because they are so new. I have not heard of any other comments on durability or accuracy besides mine. In fact AFAIK only two other members own one. Ebay does seam like the best bet for one under $500. The movement manufacturers aren't trying to pass these as swiss just a few people trying to sell them. Be careful about open heart movements being called Tourbillons.

Hope you like to read ;-)

Read this Thread first
https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=19636&highlight=replace+mainspring

Then look here at The Articles
https://www.watchuseek.com/forumdisplay.php?f=100
especially the tourbilon revue, Industry links, & rough guide to skeletons

AFAIK these were the ones that took my Seagull ST-80 skeletonized it & cased it
http://www.minorva.net/about/about.asp
as I mentioned above they also have a eBay store

Edgel Bought a Liaoning movement
https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=41736

Pricey
http://www.minnor.com/

HTH

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
Thank you very much, that is all I needed to know and more! I'll be back once I have digested it.

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
Cheers Jack, to respond in reverse order:

3) I was not making any comment about the ethics of selling fake watches, I was making a light hearted 'philosophical' comment about the nature of authenticity when you actually WANT to buy the fake. The joke is:would you feel 'ripped off' if you accidentally got a real JLC?

2) I'm sure you are right. Why didn't I think of that?

1) I have found that when I do not know something it is a good idea to ask an expert before doing anything else. This has stood me in good stead in all sorts of situations: crossing the road, swimming with sharks, cliffs and buying $500 watches that I know nothing about. However, I am glad that the 'leap before you look' approach has served you well.

thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Cheers Jack, to respond in reverse order:

3) I was not making any comment about the ethics of selling fake watches, I was making a light hearted 'philosophical' comment about the nature of authenticity when you actually WANT to buy the fake. The joke is:would you feel 'ripped off' if you accidentally got a real JLC?

2) I'm sure you are right. Why didn't I think of that?

1) I have found that when I do not know something it is a good idea to ask an expert before doing anything else. This has stood me in good stead in all sorts of situations: crossing the road, swimming with sharks, cliffs and buying $500 watches that I know nothing about. However, I am glad that the 'leap before you look' approach has served you well.

thanks for your input.
Matt the only reason why I made the statements that I made was because im about to buy one myself and as much as anyone on here can tell me ultimately I will be the one that has to decide whether or not it is a good watch to me. Secondly if you peruse/do a search on Tourbillion you might found out a lil more than what some of us may have quoted or said. Thirdly as far as getting a true watch made from one of the Big Manufactures would be sweet when you only paid for the look-alike but fat chance that would ever happen.:-d

PS when I get mines I will try and let you know what my opinion is. Good luck in your decisions.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts