Votes: 7 14.6%
  • 4. Sinn 6110 Technik

Votes: 6 12.5%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was thinking to get a Dress Watch with a leather strap. Narrowed down to these:

The below mentioned watches are all Approx. 2,000 usd.

1. Raymond Weil Maestro 2846-STC-00209
41.5mm
Modified Swiss Sellita SW200

2846-stc-00209-_main.jpg

2. Frederique Constant Classics Manufacture FC-710MC4H6
42mm
Calibre FC-710

FC-710MC4H6.jpg

3. Ball Trainmaster Officer NM3038D-LJ-GY
44mm
ETA 6498-1

758136d1341756970-new-ball-trainmaster-officer-580912_10150934768128924_1314459084_n.jpg

4. Sinn 6110 Technik
44mm
Unitas 6498-1

sinn-6110-technik.jpg

·
Premium Member
22,577 Posts
If you don't mind the date subdial, and the 42mm size, then the Frederique Constant FC-710 is an excellent choice, with a fantastic value for money.

·
Registered
20,570 Posts
I'm guessing everyone else also did the dress watch = white dial thing?

There are a lot of dress watches with black / blue dials, but IMO watches with white dial appear visually dressier.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i do prefer black dials. white dials make to look old.

·
Registered
458 Posts
There are a lot of dress watches with black / blue dials, but IMO watches with white dial appear visually dressier.
I don't think they're really dress watches then. I like having the strict white dial with black leather rule even if I don't follow it.

·
Registered
721 Posts
None of these are dress watches

#1: Two of them are way too big. A proper dress watch should be a conservative understated time piece. Even taking into account the modern big-watch trend, anything above 42 mm is pushing it when it comes to "dress watches." A dress watch should preferably be 36 mm to 40 mm.

#2: These dials are too cluttered and some of them are too sporty for a dress watch. Again, think simplicity.

Here is my vote, and it will cost you $800-$900, and you will still have enough money left over to take your wife out on a romantic weekend getaway. Picture borrowed from The Baily Blog

intra_matic_(10).jpg

Now that is a real dress watch. Conservative, classic, understated, refined, and a design that will stand the test of time. It comes in two sizes, 38 mm (classic size) and 42 mm (for big-watch freaks)

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
None of these are dress watches

#1: Two of them are way too big. A proper dress watch should be a conservative understated time piece. Even taking into account the modern big-watch trend, anything above 42 mm is pushing it when it comes to "dress watches." A dress watch should preferably be 36 mm to 40 mm.

#2: These dials are too cluttered and some of them are too sporty for a dress watch. Again, think simplicity.

Here is my vote, and it will cost you $800-$900, and you will still have enough money left over to take your wife out on a romantic weekend getaway. Picture borrowed from The Baily Blog

View attachment 906349

Now that is a real dress watch. Conservative, classic, understated, refined, and a design that will stand the test of time. It comes in two sizes, 38 mm (classic size) and 42 mm (for big-watch freaks)
I have quite a big wrist + forearm. Trying to get something in the 44mm range. And I m also looking for the small seconds thing.

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
721 Posts
In that case, either the Ball or the Federique Constant. Bigger than I'd like, but their dials look more classic and both look like they'll age well. I specially like the way the Ball looks more than the rest.

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
In that case, either the Ball or the Federique Constant. Bigger than I'd like, but their dials look more classic and both look like they'll age well. I specially like the way the Ball looks more than the rest.
Likewise, but the Ball is 44mm - too big IMO. Freddy C for me thanks - in-house movement - get em while they're still affordable, I say.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Of those listed, the FC. 44mm is too big for a dress watch. Even 42mm is really pushing it. In my opinion a dress watch should be 40mm or less.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
If this intended to be a dress watch, the FC is the best choice. If it is some sort of a daily wearer, I might opt for the Sinn or Ball.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
The FC is by far and away the superior watch among the 4 you show.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
I voted FC-710, but since I own one, I guess I was slightly swayed.......LOL

Last night I went to a very dressy wedding at the Ritz Carlton. Suits required, many were in Tuxedo. And I wore my FC-710. I got lot's of compliments about it at the dinner table. It is a beautfiul, dressy, beautifully finished watch and the in-house movement in this price range is a veritable bargain! Here it is on my wrist (but not from last night).

photo 1.JPG

·
Registered
10,095 Posts
I voted FC-710, but since I own one, I guess I was slightly swayed.......LOL

Last night I went to a very dressy wedding at the Ritz Carlton. Suits required, many were in Tuxedo. And I wore my FC-710. I got lot's of compliments about it at the dinner table. It is a beautfiul, dressy, beautifully finished watch and the in-house movement in this price range is a veritable bargain! Here it is on my wrist (but not from last night).

View attachment 907287
I'm getting more and more swayed by FC - and looking for a wedding watch. That could be it. Absolutely beautiful.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
I'm getting more and more swayed by FC - and looking for a wedding watch. That could be it. Absolutely beautiful.
It has truly gotten the most wrist time of all the watches in collection (not that my collection is that large), but it is just such a beautiful watch and I find myself staring at the beautiful guilloche dial many times every day. I highly recommend getting one.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Might be pushing off topic, but for $2000, I'd be looking on the second-hand market for something better. The odd scratch here and there won't matter.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Might be pushing off topic, but for $2000, I'd be looking on the second-hand market for something better. The odd scratch here and there won't matter.
if i m to thinking to get a preowned watch, i will request a poll for one. thanks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts