WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to seek for opinion for the following choices if you are to pick one watch in the range of 30-40k?

1) Rolex date day white gold 36mm
2) Rolex Daytona white gold
3) Patek Philippe Calatrava 6000G
4) Patek Philippe Calatrava 5296G

What’s your thought?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Struggling to get enthusiastic about any of those — Rolex do absolutely nothing for me, and most Pateks are the same.
At the level of expenditure mentioned, I’d be looking at AL&S, Chopard L.U.C., and others.
Of those presented, it’d be between the Daytona and 5296 Sector dial — the 6000 has always come across as a mess, much like the 5712.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Hi,

Are you looking for one watch to do everything? A dress watch? Any specific use of it?
The Daytona is probably the most versatile of those. The other watches do nothing to me.

As mentioned by PJS, I would consider ALS and Vacheron Constantin as well since they have fantastic offerings in this range.
If you are set on PP or Rolex for any reason, I personally would be looking into a Nautilus (very versatile and iconic, perfect for a one watch collection), and an Aquanaut dual time.

All the best,
A.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also view some of the ALS 1815, I like its clean design. What do you think? Actually I m looking for a dress watch.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
And if I were to compare pp 5296G n ALS 1816 as dress watch? Any opinions?
Although I do like the look of the 5296G, I would pick the Lange as a bit dressier, and IMO slightly better in finishing (although they’re both excellent).

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I guess that out of that set I would go with the PP 5296G, but I agree with PJ S, it’s hard to get excited about Rolex and Patek. Chopard would have some nice dress watches with blue dials, as would Moser, FP Journe, maybe also Piaget.

·
Premium Member
6,727 Posts
Out of the four you show, I'd choose either Patek over both Rolex's. Probably the 6000.

·
Premium Member
6,727 Posts
OP, the thread title says 20-30, but the first post says 30-40... I suppose it doesn't matter since you also laid out your choices, but for anyone recommending something else - which is it?

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
IMO, Patek really comes into its zone once you get to the complications. At the entry-level, their watches are distinctly that: entry-level and quite easily out-distanced by Lange.

For example, in the $20-30k range, the 1815 and Saxonia series puts the 5196 (with its closed case/too small a movement) to the sword. In the $30-40k range, the Lange 1 or 1815 AC would be my pick over most 5296s. Dont get me wrong - I *like* the classic 5296, but I do not see any reason to pick that over other options I can get for a comparable price other than just the Patek name. To me, it is a $20k watch, while the 5196 is a 12-14k watch. IMO, YMMV, etc etc.

I'm in a similar boat and it truly amazing how, outside of Lange, there isnt a whole lot in the $20-40k price range that is "good value" (inasmuch as anything in this price range can be called value).

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
IMO, Patek really comes into its zone once you get to the complications. At the entry-level, their watches are distinctly that: entry-level and quite easily out-distanced by Lange.
).
The entry-level Patek are the SS Aquanaut, 5119 Calatrava, and the 5196 Calatrava. The entry-level Lange are the Saxonia 35mm and the Saxonia Thin 37mm.

We can debate this all day, but IMO the Saxonia 35mm is better than the 5196 (both have a similar design). The movement of the Saxonia is undoubtedly better than the 5196. However, I prefer the 5119 to the Saxonia 35mm. The 5119 is an icon for as reason. I LOVE the watch, while I love the Saxonia 35mm.

I will see if the SS Aquanaut lives up to my expectations, while the Saxonia Thin has a stunning movement, but the minimalist dial is not for everyone (also seen a few reports of QC not being the best when it comes to this watch).

Anyway, while you know I respect your option your claim that Lange blows Patek out of the water at the entry-level is totally wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
These days, I prefer a watch that is easy to tell the time, so all but the day / date are far too busy for me.

That said, for the budget, there are a lot better looking choices out there. Perhaps a Moser & Cie? I find them quite subtle looking watches.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
We can debate this all day, but IMO the Saxonia 35mm is better than the 5196 (both have a similar design). The movement of the Saxonia is undoubtedly better than the 5196. However, I prefer the 5119 to the Saxonia 35mm. The 5119 is an icon for as reason. I LOVE the watch, while I love the Saxonia 35mm.

I will see if the SS Aquanaut lives up to my expectations, while the Saxonia Thin has a stunning movement, but the minimalist dial is not for everyone (also seen a few reports of QC not being the best when it comes to this watch).

Anyway, while you know I respect your option your claim that Lange blows Patek out of the water at the entry-level is totally wrong.
Fair enough - it was just my opinion and I dont claim it to be the absolute truth. What I should have said, perhaps, was that I see more of an effort from Lange even with their entry-level watches: in terms of finishing, movements, etc. My opinion is also probably significantly soured by the lack of effort on the 5196 w/r/t movement. (Lack of effort is a bit of a hot button for me right now, given the $5 NATO strap that Blancpain just sold me for $300).

But that aside, doesnt the $20-30k/40k range seem a bit sparse, compared to what you get, say, at $50k and above, or under $20k? Or is just me?

Reactions: KtWUS

·
Registered
172 Posts
The entry-level Patek are the SS Aquanaut, 5119 Calatrava, and the 5196 Calatrava. The entry-level Lange are the Saxonia 35mm and the Saxonia Thin 37mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can call a Seiko entry level, not a 20k Aquanaut. imo.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
^
An Aquanaut is a Patek entry-level (sports) watch — you’re thinking of its general usage, in the context of all watch brands.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts