WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a plan but I have decided to try and keep to 4 pricier watches so it's gone out the window. I am keeping my Seven Friday as despite it being slightly uncomfortable to wear all day it has grown on me immensely, so it and my Datejust will take two slots. I aim to complete the 4 by the end of this year, but I'm split as to which of the below pairs to go for. There are pros and cons to both - if I go for the Helberg/JLC I get a grail (JLC), but fear the Helberg may not be practical as a regular wear watch...if I go for the Tudor/ML Masterpiece I think I'd be getting more practicality, but not as interesting a pair. Financially, they work out pretty similar, my PO has been sacrificed for this!

ML/Tudor:
choice 2.jpg

JLC/Helberg
choice 1.jpg

·
Registered
981 Posts
Are you getting a deal with buying the groupings of two, or you just feel that they're best suited with one another?

I've seen plenty this or that threads, but never this pair or that pair lol

i can't get enough of the black bay, so it's an easy decision for me. Tudor/ML. I get why so many people love the JLC, i just wouldn't consider it because i'm not a fan of that style of case. Easily the most impressive of the bunch thou

·
Premium Member
22,607 Posts
I assume the reason for the groupings is due to a financial constraint. If so, I would get the Black Bay, and wait and save up for the JLC Reverso.

Reactions: Ace McLoud

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I assume the reason for the groupings is due to a financial constraint. If so, I would get the Black Bay, and wait and save up for the JLC Reverso.
Exactly, it's financial. I'll be buying one in the next month (the cheaper one) and then the other towards Xmas. My major want from this is really that I want a nice daily watch again. I know the Tudor is a pretty logical choice, but I love the look of the Helberg, but the size of it is a daily is a concern...

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
First question: Can you wear the JLC? Reason is some of us can't, it fits weirdly on some wrists,if you can then the JLC for sure.
I don't know about the Helberg,any coated case will wear off after some period of time....then you have a "tacky" looking watch.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes the JLC wears rather well if I do say so. Have tried it twice at the AD. I think DLC is relatively sturdy - when I say daily it won't literally be worn day in day out as I tend to tailor my watch to the day in question so I would hope it wouldn't wear that quickly.

·
Registered
15,940 Posts
I'd not settle for anything other than the BB and Reverso . . .

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
+1. Even if it means waiting longer to get the second piece.

And a consideration for gray market Black Bay, only because it has an ETA movement that can be serviced anywhere. That may get you to your happy place more quickly. :)

·
Registered
3,812 Posts

I agree......those are the only two that call my attention.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Since the Reverso fits you the dilemma is solved. It is head and shoulders above the other watches in your list. Yeah, I like the BB better than the Heberg but if there are financial constraints the get the Reverso/Helberg. And the Helberg isn't so much money that you will never be able to buy a BB - you're really just delaying it.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
You sound like you want the JLC... I'd go for it, hopefully you've seen it in real life (all of them) And know yourself which is good to keep and if you like the JLC and will look at it everyday, that's the way to go than settling for the more 'practical' combination.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LOL...great answers pushing me to the Reverso! Actually, if anyone has another suggestion for a nice sub €1k diver in all black, please come forth!

·
Registered
514 Posts
I don't think you could go wrong with the Black Bay or the Reverso, so that's a matter of opinion (my hat would tip to the Reverso). However, I had the Helberg and loved it. Don't know why I flipped it. On an Isofrane, it is super comfortable the dial is beautiful, and the lume is great. In bronze, it is a very striking piece.

...And that's all I have to say about that.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
LOL...great answers pushing me to the Reverso! Actually, if anyone has another suggestion for a nice sub €1k diver in all black, please come forth!
Just got this. Fit and finish is real good for this price point. And it's a brand with a lot of history.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I would focus on the Reverso and (since you're concerned with the size of the Helberg) just wait til you find another inexpensive option to fill that position. Sub $1000 daily watches are always popping up on the market, eventually one will be the right size/style.

In the mean time, save for the JLC.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts