WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:think:I'm trying to decide between the Night Train and the Engineer Master II Diver for my first Ball watch. I like the extra triton tubes on the NT but am not sure about the color of the metal and the size.
The diver is appealing for the stainless finish, anti-magnetic properties and slightly smaller size.
We don't have a dealer in town so I haven't seen either watch in person. I have a smaller wrist at 6 3/4". That said I enjoy wearing my Oris 44mm TT1 diver.
Does any on have pictures that show the color of the NT and the relative sizes of each on or off wrist?
Also, I'm tempted to make my purchase from one of the private parties listing on these forums. Am I fool hardy not buying from an AD?
Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
:think:I'm trying to decide between the Night Train and the Engineer Master II Diver for my first Ball watch. I like the extra triton tubes on the NT but am not sure about the color of the metal and the size.
The diver is appealing for the stainless finish, anti-magnetic properties and slightly smaller size.
We don't have a dealer in town so I haven't seen either watch in person. I have a smaller wrist at 6 3/4". That said I enjoy wearing my Oris 44mm TT1 diver.
Does any on have pictures that show the color of the NT and the relative sizes of each on or off wrist?
Also, I'm tempted to make my purchase from one of the private parties listing on these forums. Am I fool hardy not buying from an AD?
Thanks,
Mark
Hi Mark,

Welcome to the Ball Watch Company Forum! :-!

The Night Train and the EMII Diver are both superb timepieces, and either would serve you well. The Night Train's DLC coated ss case is not true black; it's really more similar to gun metal in color. Imho, it's a much nicer looking finish/color than true black. You can still see the brushed finish. If you really prefer the more standard brushed stainless steel finish, the NT also comes in a white dialed version in ss and includes the bracelet.

If you are comfortable with the looks of your 44mm TT1 on your 6.75" wrist, then you'll probably be perfectly fine with how the 43mm Night Train or the 42mm EMII Diver would look on.

We have some excellent pics of both models in our Photo Album Sub-Forum. Check them out: https://www.watchuseek.com/forumdisplay.php?f=256

When you mentioned that you're tempted to buy your Ball watch from one of the private parties listing on this forum, did you mean buying the watch slightly used from one of our members? If so, then I'd say that you'd have a pretty solid chance of getting a lovingly pre-owned Ball for a nice price. :-!

If you didn't, then I'd like to offer a friendly reminder that, per forum rules, we are not to discuss gray market sellers or other non-authorized dealers here...okay? :thanks

Buying your Ball from a Ball AD means that you'll be able to enjoy owning and wearing your Ball, with the peace of mind in knowing that you've got the full support and after sales service of an authorized dealer and the Ball Watch Company who want you to be happy with your beautiful new watch for many years to come. |>

Glad to have you with us, Mark! ;-)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Yes, I'm actually looking at a couple of used watches from members of this forum. Both are said to have been purchased from an AD. One is said to have remaining time on the warantee that would be transferable. Is this an accurate statement? If a watch was originally purchased from a US AD would I be able to have it readily serviced in the states?
Is the anti-magnetic property a significant plus? Do watches become magnitized very often?

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
The NT like the rest of the Fireman line is not antimagnetic. Magnetization occurs from things like speaker magnets, etc...try a search on magnetization for more info than I have.

I own an NT and love it. I also have a Moonphase which is part of the EM II Line and I love it also. My wrist is like 6.4 inches and I have no problem with the NT, so you will be fine.

Both watches have huge lume and great looks...they are very different, maybe by both?

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just got m EMII diver, cannot resist the temptation planning to get the NT 2-3 weeks later...... Have to save up alot of cash.....:-!

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Congrats Ceratos. If you can, start a thread and post some pics. Enjoy, sounds like you have the bug.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Never too new for a picture. I also love reading reviews and would very interested in your assessment of the watch. That is one great watch you have, as is the NT that you are eyeing. Welcome aboard and I look forward to your posts.

I too am a relative newbie to the Ball forum and find the group very inviting.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I just got m EMII diver, cannot resist the temptation planning to get the NT 2-3 weeks later...... Have to save up alot of cash.....:-!
Hi Ceratos,

Congrats on getting your EMII Diver! Which colored bezel accent did you get? Green seems to be very popular with owners here on the forum...but the orange version seems to be pretty hot, too...and grey seems to be the hit with the more "subtley elegant crowd"...:-d

I hope that you'll definitely post some pics and first impressions, if you could. We love pics! :-!

Glad to have you with us, Ceratos! ;-)

·
Registered
148 Posts
I got the green one cos its outstanding......:-!

I though of getting the fireman 43mm one too for my everyday watch. But the szie is same as the NT.....:think:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well I bought the Fireman Skylab last Monday... and by Friday I had a NT as well in black.

My honest opinion on the NT is that while its a beautiful watch and I love the DLC case, I use it for daily wear btw, however I'm a little on the fence about the use of so many tritium gas tubes.

I love the tritium, but the use of so many tubes, and of varying colors (there's blue, green and orange) it gets dangerously close to being a little kitchy.

It's a personal opinion, but I dunno, I think the tritium is one area where "less is more" concept may apply. However, that being said, there's plenty of watches in the Ball line (virtually all the others) that have less tubes in them, so there's definitely alternatives (aka. I understand why the watch exists in the Ball lineup)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At the risk of sounding vain, which is a better conversation starter, the Night Train or the EMII diver? (i.e. which gets more compliments or comments?)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
An additional question I have, is there any thought or consensus on which is more accurate, the Night Train or the diver. Do they use different movements?

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
An additional question I have, is there any thought or consensus on which is more accurate, the Night Train or the diver. Do they use different movements?

The diver uses a 2836...which is essentially the 2824 with day and date function.

The NT uses Ball caliber 124...a modified 2824 to include military time and date warning indicator wheel,

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Hi pv,

The Night Train's powered by the Ball Calibre 124, which someone has said is the ETA 2824-2, modified for the military time complication.
The EMII Diver has the ETA 2836-2, which I've been told is just like the 2824-2, but with the addition of the day complication.
I don't know if either movement has been proven to be more accurate than the other. I would guess that they're capable of being equally accurate.
I thought I read somewhere that it's the 289x series that's supposed to be the most accurate(out of the box) of the 28xx ETA movements...? Anyone?

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
The diver uses a 2836...which is essentially the 2824 with day and date function.

The NT uses Ball caliber 124...a modified 2824 to include military time and date warning indicator wheel,
Hi Scott,

You beat me to it by a few minutes, which was about the amount of time that it took me to fiddle with all the numbers! :roll:

But it's reassuring that we seem to be on the same page! :-!

:-d

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi Ceratos,

Congrats on getting your EMII Diver! Which colored bezel accent did you get? Green seems to be very popular with owners here on the forum...but the orange version seems to be pretty hot, too...and grey seems to be the hit with the more "subtley elegant crowd"...:-d

I hope that you'll definitely post some pics and first impressions, if you could. We love pics! :-!

Glad to have you with us, Ceratos! ;-)
Do all of the EMII divers have the same pattern on the dial? If so than the only difference is the color of the wheel?

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Do all of the EMII divers have the same pattern on the dial? If so than the only difference is the color of the wheel?
Hi Kenage,

The "standard" EMII Diver comes with three color options for the inner rotating bezel accent and the five minute marker numerals: green, orange, and grey. The dial pattern, otherwise, is the same black guilloche sunburst for all three variants.

The dial pattern is different on the TMT, Chronometer, and Chronograph EMII Divers. Those three models have their own distinct dial designs.

;-)

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Hi Scott,

You beat me to it by a few minutes, which was about the amount of time that it took me to fiddle with all the numbers! :roll:

But it's reassuring that we seem to be on the same page! :-!

:-d

honored to be on the same page with you Geoffb-)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sweet. Thanks for the info sukispop. I have seen the green version at my local AD but I think the grey might be a better choice for me. I just love the dial on the diver and wanted to make sure that the beautiful dial is on each version of the dial.

Hi Kenage,

The "standard" EMII Diver comes with three color options for the inner rotating bezel accent and the five minute marker numerals: green, orange, and grey. The dial pattern, otherwise, is the same black guilloche sunburst for all three variants.

The dial pattern is different on the TMT, Chronometer, and Chronograph EMII Divers. Those three models have their own distinct dial designs.

;-)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts