WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if these hands are available other than a full service at chopard , the second/ chrono hand has play in it according to my watch maker so seeking a new one or a copy one , I believe the model is a 8992

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
341 Posts
The large second hand of a chronograph, especially on a mechanical watch where it returns with a good deal of force, is a common issue. R/R requires extra care.

The hand usually can be reworked at the pivot. Any reason why it can't be reworked?

Best to keep the watch original when possible IMO.

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
What specifically is wrong with the hand? Play could mean that it's loose on the post, or the rivet is loose - both are repaired easily by any competent watchmaker. Even if the tube is split it can be repaired (replaced) but would likely be more costly and time consuming than getting a new hand, assuming a new hand can be found.

I would not let him put some copy hand on the watch by the way...

My guess is that Chopard is like most companies and will not sell parts to anyone who asks. Not sure if they provide parts accounts to watchmakers or not, but asking Chopard directly would likely be the quickest way to get an answer to your question. It should really be your watchmaker asking Chopard, rather than you...

Cheers, Al

·
Registered
507 Posts
Can anyone tell me if these hands are available other than a full service at chopard , the second/ chrono hand has play in it according to my watch maker so seeking a new one or a copy one , I believe the model is a 8992

What's the issue with the watch? Does the sweep second hand move away from 12 when you reset the chronograph?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes my watch guy replaced the hammer but now says the hand has play , it varies very slightly where it resets as to where I press the reset button

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yes my watch guy replaced the hammer but now says the hand has play , it varies very slightly where it resets as to where I press the reset button

If this wasn't an issue before it's possible that the hand got damaged during service, in which case it's his responsibility to repair/replace the hand, not yours.
Honestly it's not even that big of a problem. Hands crack sometimes and we just get it fixed. Customer shouldn't even know about it because it's part of the service.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If this wasn't an issue before it's possible that the hand got damaged during service, in which case it's his responsibility to repair/replace the hand, not yours.
Honestly it's not even that big of a problem. Hands crack sometimes and we just get it fixed. Customer shouldn't even know about it because it's part of the service.
The resetting was the whole reason for the service so thought it would be all sorted out but alas no so now looking for it to be fixed with out being ripped of by dealer rates

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
The resetting was the whole reason for the service so thought it would be all sorted out but alas no so now looking for it to be fixed with out being ripped of by dealer rates
Competent watchmakers are not on every corner and are in high demand, so good work costs money. You have already had a complete service done at some cost that didn't fix the problem, so the strategy of trying to do this on the cheap is something you might want to reconsider.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Competent watchmakers are not on every corner and are in high demand, so good work costs money. You have already had a complete service done at some cost that didn't fix the problem, so the strategy of trying to do this on the cheap is something you might want to reconsider.
Hi
It’s not on the cheap that concerns me it’s as you say a trust with the watch maker , I have used this guy for years this is the first time he hasn’t come through , and I’m always worried when sending watch to a manufacturer for work as last time ended up with them for nearly a year as they kept not actually fixing the issue
Anyways I think I may have to go back to chopard and that’s not easy as there dealers are quite rare in uk

·
Registered
341 Posts
The dealer may not actually work on the watch, they sent out elsewhere. Paul Pluta (YouTube watch guru), I realise he's a bit of a nut case but informative in some areas, made two trips to Hong Kong to have his Patek Philippe 5110 World time serviced. Cost was $1200US. The dealer in Australia wanted $940US just for the estimate and would probably take weeks. In Hong Kong he received the estimate in 15 minutes.

I think a while back Pluta went to Taiwan to have his Reverso serviced.

Asia is the biggest market for high-end Swiss watches. It's said much of the high-end Swiss watches sold in the US are actually to Chinese buyers.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
How far off is it? Wouldn't like to comment on the work done without seeing the watch, but an inability to tighten a hand does raise questions.

The hammers on these are almost bullet-proof because they're articulated at the minute counter end so should find their own level on the two cams - much nicer than stoning the faces to match! But a weak or distorted hammer spring can leave play on the seconds cam and give a poor reset.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like the best way to sort this could be send back to chopard as not sure who to trust now

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are there any watch services that are recommended by you enlightened nice peopel

1 - 14 of 14 Posts