WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I am about to make my first big watch purchase (well in my opinion!) and I decided on a black chrono. I have been looking around for a few weeks and the one that has really caught my eye is the Chopard Mille Miglia GMT Chrono Speed Black. I have been searching for info on it for quite a while but there doesn't seem to be much out there.

Therefore any thoughts or info about the brand and opinions on the watch itself are welcomed. I am going to go to an AD tomorrow and look at this watch but so far I have only been able to find two pics online, so if anyone owns one or has done before a pic would be most welcome.

I'm not too sure on the rules of asking about price but should you be able to secure around 20% off list price on a watch like this?

Thanks

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
It's a nice watch, and has an ETA Valgranges Caliber A07.171 inside that's chronometer rated. It's a larger diameter movement built more recently than other ETA movements, and made for bigger watches - no spacer is usually necessary to fill the gap. I've never shopped for one so I don't know the discount available through an AD. The tire tread strap is cool. :-!

·
Registered
40,767 Posts
:think: 20 points, shouldn't be a problem, but keep in mind, if you want it to
keep looking like that, your're stuck with OEM strap replacements.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I'm terribly impressed by the way those Chopards look. So impressed that I want the Sea-Gull homage. D'oh- I guees that makes me a horrible person!
I think you've made a great choice for a first chrono.
FWIW, Breitling makes black, COSC-certified chronos that might be worth taking a look at. Yes, that was a shameless plug.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Great looking watch, you should be able to find it for around 20% off yes. I've always liked the Mille Miglia GT XL non chrono, very interesting looking.

·
Registered
40,767 Posts
:-s You want a knockoff?
I'm terribly impressed by the way those Chopards look. So impressed that I want the Sea-Gull homage. D'oh- I guees that makes me a horrible person!
I think you've made a great choice for a first chrono.
FWIW, Breitling makes black, COSC-certified chronos that might be worth taking a look at. Yes, that was a shameless plug.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Beautiful watch. I had it in white and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
some points to consider. this model is very highly polished and scratches fairly easily, the water resisrance is only 50m, the bezel is fixed, and the rubbuer strap has a vanilla fragrance.
with that said it is a beautyful watch, very accurate, and very comfortable on the wrist. i own the silver dial version and considered purchasing the black dial also.
cosc automatic chronograph gmt; superb choice!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I normally dislike 'busy' watches but for some reason this model has always struck me as outstandingly attractive (black or white).
It's one of these watches I'd like to buy just for the sake of owning.

Two thumbs-up. :-!:-!

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Great looking watch, you should be able to find it for around 20% off yes. I've always liked the Mille Miglia GT XL non chrono, very interesting looking.
Me too, I seem to prefer the non-chrono MM's, but that chrono is pretty sporty looking!

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
:-s You want a knockoff?
It's a very simple concept. Not everybody has the resources to allocate $3,4,5k and up for a single watch, and some people subscribe to the idea that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Now, I'm off to the post office to pickup my Poljot Journey (IWC Portugeuse homage).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
some points to consider. this model is very highly polished and scratches fairly easily, the water resisrance is only 50m, the bezel is fixed, and the rubbuer strap has a vanilla fragrance.
with that said it is a beautyful watch, very accurate, and very comfortable on the wrist. i own the silver dial version and considered purchasing the black dial also.
You say this model scratches easily but all the info on it says that the black PVD is very difficult to scratch. Were you talking about the black model? I would worry about this as it will be my main watch.

I hear the resale value on Chopards is not great either. I hope not to have to sell though!

·
Registered
40,767 Posts
:roll: Yeah right, more like, stealing someone elses thunder or rank imitation,
ect, ect.
It's a very simple concept. Not everybody has the resources to allocate $3,4,5k and up for a single watch, and some people subscribe to the idea that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Now, I'm off to the post office to pickup my Poljot Journey (IWC Portugeuse homage).

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
You say this model scratches easily but all the info on it says that the black PVD is very difficult to scratch. Were you talking about the black model? I would worry about this as it will be my main watch.

I hear the resale value on Chopards is not great either. I hope not to have to sell though!
i was unaware that this was the pvd version of this model as i have only been aware of the highly polished s/s version. a pvd version of this sounds even cooler. i'd love to see one in the steelb-)

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
These are nice. Have a friend that has one (sponsors an NHRA funny car).
Italians are famous for the vanilla smell rubber bands. This one has the Dunlop tire tread.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
:roll: Yeah right, more like, stealing someone elses thunder or rank imitation,
ect, ect.
Please excuse me for saying so, but this was extremely rude. I would expect more from someone with 7000+ posts. Why would you try to ruin someone else's enjoyment of their watch? I don't understand :-s

This will be my last post here.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Yeah right, more like, stealing someone elses thunder or rank imitation,
ect, ect.
I did not intend to start a discussion of the relative morality of homage watches- a dead horse around here. I merely intended to state that I really, really love the looks of this watch, but being an unemployed high-school student, lack the resources necessary to purchase the Chopard, and am thus considering the well-made Sea-Gull homage.
I apologize if this offends you- but homages are here and here to stay.

It's been my experience that highly polished watches don't take to scratching well. PVD is much more scratch resistant, but I'd hazard to guess that any scratches will show up bright silver against the black.
Not a reason to not purchase the watch, though.
By the way, if you don't already know:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mille_Miglia
Pretty cool association.

·
Registered
40,767 Posts
Your right, they are here to stay, but call them for what they really are,
knockoffs. Calling them "homage", is like something about a pig and
lipstick.
I did not intend to start a discussion of the relative morality of homage watches- a dead horse around here. I merely intended to state that I really, really love the looks of this watch, but being an unemployed high-school student, lack the resources necessary to purchase the Chopard, and am thus considering the well-made Sea-Gull homage.
I apologize if this offends you- but homages are here and here to stay.

It's been my experience that highly polished watches don't take to scratching well. PVD is much more scratch resistant, but I'd hazard to guess that any scratches will show up bright silver against the black.
Not a reason to not purchase the watch, though.
By the way, if you don't already know:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mille_Miglia
Pretty cool association.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
thanks for the link, that assoc is one of the reasons i bought the watch;-)
about the high polished/scratch statement; i was speaking to the ss model as i was not aware of a pvd version. (some folk around here get bent out of shape if their watches become scratched; sounds like you are not one of them)b-)

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Your right, they are here to stay, but call them for what they really are,
knockoffs. Calling them "homage", is like something about a pig and
lipstick.
Fair 'nuff... but the majority of the forum calls 'em homages and thus I'll do likewise.
about the high polished/scratch statement; i was speaking to the ss model as i was not aware of a pvd version. (some folk around here get bent out of shape if their watches become scratched; sounds like you are not one of them)
Crystal scratches bother me, mainly because they can interfere with at-a-glance reading. Otherwise, no, not really. Watches are, boiled down, pieces of metal and I'll treat 'em as such. Some I even think look good with a bit of a patina.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts