WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So April completes my first year into G-Shocks and WUS! Goal One was to try the various bodies and learn what I like and don't like. Largely accomplished, with a few detours along the way. :roll:

Gonna chronicle the first year here, and put some thoughts down. After a couple of months of hanging around and sponging it hit me that part of this community is to share with the community. This was quite a realization as there are some intimidating collections hiding around here! So I hit out with some reviews/thoughts on watches I really enjoyed. First picked out a very well known series that was actually responsible for having the watch that brought me in: Men in Smoky Grey

Tower%20of%20Power.jpg

Followed that up with a series I fell in love with, and gave me my avatar shot. The GW4000's.

White AviatorGW4000D.jpg

One year in and these are still my favorite series. What is funny was I didn't even know about the "review" section of WUS up to this point! Well shoot, that needed to be fixed. By this time the XL's were growing on me and I had fallen head over heels for the GLX-150.

Wave%201.jpg

At the same time I also knocked one out about the GA-150. Personally, I learned to do the reviews while I was still psyched about them on this review. After mentioning it regularly (annoyingly?) I did the review after I was on to other watches.

One watch I was bummed about was the size of the square. Especially after falling for XL's only amplified it's lack of size and weight. One watch distinctly helped me turn the corner was the G-011D. While small, with the large amounts of metal involved this one carried me a long ways to finally ready to get an infamous GW5000.

P1000289.JPG

Revisiting these threads I can also see my progression from cell phone camera, to camera (#1) to another camera (#2). Having been simply blown away by shots taken from other members (KiwiDJ, Airwatch, etc) I've been trying to work on this aspect as well.Still a long ways out, but this has been a genuine learning curve (steep!) for me.

Finally completed another set, the Olive Drabs were and are a ton of fun. Still my favorite king by a country mile, and until recently my favorite 6900 as well.

Group%20on%20plate.jpg

The next set I thought I completed but really didn't and then I took it upon myself to expand with the Rescue Orange family. This group is what genuinely taught me about Japanese market vs rest of world releases and how different they can be. Easily, my favorite color going for a G. Love it. Picking up the next member in July, this thread simply isn't done yet.

3%20Wise%20Men.jpg

Then came the bombshell: Casio made some really cool G's long before 2012! How did I figure this nugget of wisdom out? Simply put, I lucked out on the WUS for sale area and picked up a Hawaiian Pro. Permanently deviating me from my original plan with the G-Shocks. In my eyes this is still my coolest watch.

Hawaiian%20Pro%20Logo.jpg

This watch (and Mitch100 and Kronos) has sent me down a path of older G-Shocks. Didn't really write about them unless it was something without a lot of info in WUS or on the web. Through the frustration of my love of the kings and not many being released I ventured into the Gundams (DW81xx's) and the Heavy Metal (DW8300), and quite a few G-Lides. The G-Lides kind of blew me away and made me appreciate them more. If you don't know, G-Lides are usually on the less expensive side of the G-Shock spectrum yet usually have quite a few features. I documented one that was never really a big deal at all, the lowly GL-130.

GL%20130%20Face.jpg

I also got my first (and only thus far) Edifice. Just happened upon it and picked it up, it is one of the Red Bulls. And with my still banging my wrist on walls and furniture, it may stay my only one.

Red%20Bull%20Face.jpg

GDF100's, an underappreciated lot (in my eyes) until the Burton came out and brought them back.

DSC00236.jpg

And the GLS100's. I completely fell for these before I even got my first one. My first winter G-Lides. Unfortunately this thread was one of the casualties of the server meltdown here on WUS (lost all the photos). I hope to re-shoot them and put them back in.

So that brings year one to a close. What does Year Two have in store? Without turning this into a WTB/WTS thread I don't see myself keeping this high a count of G-Shocks. There are a few more bodies and models of watches past I'm interested in and a couple more threads I'm interested in writing. My main goal for Year Two is to be in a position where I'm really just after current models that attract me so I can plan out purchases better without constantly "catching up" and missing the odd cool watch that pops up for sale every once in a while.

Speaking of which, I got myself something really cool for my G-Shock Anniversary. Got to write about it over here. Still kind of blown away I even got it.

DSC00421.jpg

Hope my contributions have been enjoyable, just been keeping my nose clean around here and staying out of trouble. Definitely looking forward to Year Two. b-)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
That was a great read, congrats on hitting 1 year Chrisek! Hope you have an amazing year 2 and get lots of cool G's. Love that Rescue Orange & Olive Drab series collection. Will read your review on the GLX150 since I'm thinkin of getting that upcoming Green/Orange one. :)

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Well it has been a pleasure having you around Chris.

You are a kind and thoughtful poster and show a real enthusiasm and joy in the posesssion of G Shocks and my goodness have you acquired a lot of 'joy' this last year!

Nice to see that you have some real interest in the history of the brand and an appreciation of some of the older models.

It will be interesting to see what direction your taste takes you in the next year or so.

Mitch

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Wow! Great write-up of your first year! And what a collection for only 1 yr!
Really appreciate you posting.
Hope your 2nd yr is at least as enjoyable for you!
Thanks again!
Geo

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Great post Chris. Your posts and threads on the GW4000's are what inspired me to get one. Like you it's one of my favorites.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Very nice write up and your collection is a cracker and something to be very pleased with.
Absolutely love that GL-130 and I am looking more at the older G's as they seem to interest me more.
Like yourself I have been collecting 1 year so I will have to mark it in some way.
I look forward to seeing more of your watches and reviews in the next year.

Stu.

·
Registered
20,580 Posts
I feel sympathy for the guys who work at your local PO, poor guys, they must have had a busy year delivering your watches :p

Reactions: Chrisek

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Congratulations on your G-Shock anniversary, Chrisek. :-!

I remember when you first joined and then for a while it seems like every other week or so you were posting about a new G-Shock acquisition. I think you're definitely in the top 10 for rapid G-Shock collecting, perhaps even the top 5. ;-)

What's particularly neat is how you have been very deliberate in your collecting and how you managed to get complete theme families (like Rescue Orange, Olive Drabs, etc). Looking forward to see how your collection continues to grow.

·
Banned
473 Posts
Happy anniversary dude!

Thanks for writing a very interesting thread here, and also for an amazing amount of thoughtful input to the forum. Such is the great level of your input a relative newbie such as myself figured you'd been around as long as Sedi, Cal etc.

You are so right about the need to interact I think - I'm trying my best but I'm just a Padawan Learner, while you my friend have risen to the rank of G-di Master in next to no time!!

Respect,
Ash

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you everyone! :cool:

I posted this up really late and forgot to credit many others (sjors, sedi, kung, feisar, psweeting, nagpal, etc) for great info on many different aspects of g-shock collecting. And of course kawei, lolo96706, canonman, etc for the egging on, plotting, planning, & sharing. :beer:

sent with aloha

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Congrats Chris!

What a journey it has been, here's to a couple more years to come. Keep rocking and collecting hard. Setting up my special one soon =)

Nothing but the best as always! (Hip hip, Hooray!!!)3x =)

Cheers buddy!
-Kawei-

·
Registered
454 Posts
So April completes my first year into G-Shocks and WUS! Goal One was to try the various bodies and learn what I like and don't like. Largely accomplished, with a few detours along the way. :roll:

Gonna chronicle the first year here, and put some thoughts down. After a couple of months of hanging around and sponging it hit me that part of this community is to share with the community. This was quite a realization as there are some intimidating collections hiding around here! So I hit out with some reviews/thoughts on watches I really enjoyed. First picked out a very well known series that was actually responsible for having the watch that brought me in: Men in Smoky Grey

View attachment 1049705

Followed that up with a series I fell in love with, and gave me my avatar shot. The GW4000's.

View attachment 1049707

One year in and these are still my favorite series. What is funny was I didn't even know about the "review" section of WUS up to this point! Well shoot, that needed to be fixed. By this time the XL's were growing on me and I had fallen head over heels for the GLX-150.

View attachment 1049709

At the same time I also knocked one out about the GA-150. Personally, I learned to do the reviews while I was still psyched about them on this review. After mentioning it regularly (annoyingly?) I did the review after I was on to other watches.

One watch I was bummed about was the size of the square. Especially after falling for XL's only amplified it's lack of size and weight. One watch distinctly helped me turn the corner was the G-011D. While small, with the large amounts of metal involved this one carried me a long ways to finally ready to get an infamous GW5000.

View attachment 1049714

Revisiting these threads I can also see my progression from cell phone camera, to camera (#1) to another camera (#2). Having been simply blown away by shots taken from other members (KiwiDJ, Airwatch, etc) I've been trying to work on this aspect as well.Still a long ways out, but this has been a genuine learning curve (steep!) for me.

Finally completed another set, the Olive Drabs were and are a ton of fun. Still my favorite king by a country mile, and until recently my favorite 6900 as well.

View attachment 1049716

The next set I thought I completed but really didn't and then I took it upon myself to expand with the Rescue Orange family. This group is what genuinely taught me about Japanese market vs rest of world releases and how different they can be. Easily, my favorite color going for a G. Love it. Picking up the next member in July, this thread simply isn't done yet.

View attachment 1049717

Then came the bombshell: Casio made some really cool G's long before 2012! How did I figure this nugget of wisdom out? Simply put, I lucked out on the WUS for sale area and picked up a Hawaiian Pro. Permanently deviating me from my original plan with the G-Shocks. In my eyes this is still my coolest watch.

View attachment 1049719

This watch (and Mitch100 and Kronos) has sent me down a path of older G-Shocks. Didn't really write about them unless it was something without a lot of info in WUS or on the web. Through the frustration of my love of the kings and not many being released I ventured into the Gundams (DW81xx's) and the Heavy Metal (DW8300), and quite a few G-Lides. The G-Lides kind of blew me away and made me appreciate them more. If you don't know, G-Lides are usually on the less expensive side of the G-Shock spectrum yet usually have quite a few features. I documented one that was never really a big deal at all, the lowly GL-130.

View attachment 1049731

I also got my first (and only thus far) Edifice. Just happened upon it and picked it up, it is one of the Red Bulls. And with my still banging my wrist on walls and furniture, it may stay my only one.

View attachment 1049734

GDF100's, an underappreciated lot (in my eyes) until the Burton came out and brought them back.

View attachment 1049737

And the GLS100's. I completely fell for these before I even got my first one. My first winter G-Lides. Unfortunately this thread was one of the casualties of the server meltdown here on WUS (lost all the photos). I hope to re-shoot them and put them back in.

So that brings year one to a close. What does Year Two have in store? Without turning this into a WTB/WTS thread I don't see myself keeping this high a count of G-Shocks. There are a few more bodies and models of watches past I'm interested in and a couple more threads I'm interested in writing. My main goal for Year Two is to be in a position where I'm really just after current models that attract me so I can plan out purchases better without constantly "catching up" and missing the odd cool watch that pops up for sale every once in a while.

Speaking of which, I got myself something really cool for my G-Shock Anniversary. Got to write about it over here. Still kind of blown away I even got it.

View attachment 1049739

Hope my contributions have been enjoyable, just been keeping my nose clean around here and staying out of trouble. Definitely looking forward to Year Two. b-)
Great Post and Great Photos! Thanks for sharing with us and also your tots. I am also in the same process of collecting but I am also trying to trim off my collection to keep it to just my favourites. Its a great process and I am enjoying it.

Cheers and enjoy your collection!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've always enjoyed your reviews and clear photos.

I look forward to your next purchase and the next.....

Cheers

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
Way to go Chris! You're prolific, informative and entertaining. What more could we ask for? Well, I could wish for more pictorial Hawaiian travelogues. Remember, your "backyard" is a truly can't-get-there-from-here kind of a place for most of us.

Here's to another year of you here!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Been lurking these days, but gotta come out of the shadows for this one ;-) LOL

Great build-up Chris! You hit 50 not too long ago, I reckon you must be around 60-65 now? That is a seriously frenetic pace, a new G every few days!

Speaking for myself, I'm more of a one-from-each-set kinda guy so all these completed sets only exemplify your 'Yes, I'm OCD..." punch line. Lol, j/k.

Looking forward to more pics of great Gs on your beautiful island.

Regards,
nagpal

1 - 20 of 25 Posts