WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My lovely girlfriend bought me a watch for Christmas. When we were in Poland last year we were looking at Seiko 5 Diver, the SNZF17. A lovely watch, but in the end it was a little over budget for that holiday and I got a (arguably) nice, and certainly rarer, Vostok Amphibian Automatic.

Still though, I liked the Seiko alot. Come Christmas, I opened my gift from her and I saw a Seiko box! Its the diver I thought! I was surprised then to find a Seiko SRP339K1 in the box! A watch I had never seen or heard of before. Indeed, I have never seen one on WUS. There are only two on Amazon and around five on Ebay. I don't know if it is an old line, or just a unusual watch. The fact that it has 24 jewels seems quite unusual, as most other Seiko 5's I see either have 21 or 23. It has a see through case back, but I think that is pretty standard.

I was intally dissapointed that I did not get the SNZF17, I think that I would have been more comfortable with that model. I don't know if I would have picked this watch out for myself, the second hand is very odd; it almost looks like there are four hands. That said, it has grown on me, I really like the inlay red on the dial and I like the big, bold sword hands.

Compared to my mostly vintage collection it wears quite big on the wrist. It is quite thick, what with the clear case back and is easily my heaviest watch. Wrist shot.

So there you go, a lesser seen Sekio 5. It has grown on me, but I'm still not 100% convinced by it. I know I would have loved the SNZF17, but this, maybe this will be a bit more of a slow burn love affair.

BTW, I'm gonna starting posting more about my watches. I have a slightly different collection to most here on F71

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Although different (particularly the seconds hand), it all seems to work together, especially with the red dial accent. Great looking watch. That'd be a keeper in my books.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Looks a nice watch. I think the size is ok, especially if your other watches are smaller. If you don't like it just try and exchange it. Your girlfriend won't mind I'm sure of it.

I would try it on a black strap, I think it's look better.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
That is a great looking watch!! I love the red on the dial. I am going to look into that model. As for the 24 jewels, I believe that is because this model uses the newer 4r movement series instead of the 7s.

edit: Boom, just passed 4500 posts!!

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
That's a great looking watch! I agree that a red rally strap would look great on it, or even a red & black striped NATO.

·
Premium Member
71,325 Posts
I see what you mean about the second hand looking a little unusual but the whole watch looks nice. Even nicer is that your GF got it for you.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Looks great on your wrist! Definitely a unique watch. It's probably NEW as opposed to old considering it's SRP.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
It's nice and with the newer 4Rxx movement...great gift for christmas...Congrats!

Sent from the dark side

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Your girlfriend won't mind I'm sure of it.
:rodekaart :-d

Eh, no, she would. She would mind very much.

Women exchanging gifts is fine, men is not fine. I have learned this the hard way.

Like I said though, it is growing on me.

I forgot to mention that the movement hacks, not sure what I would ever need it for, but it is interesting none the less.

Thanks for all the kind words about my watch!

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's a great looking watch! I agree that a red rally strap would look great on it, or even a red & black striped NATO.
Hi,
Been lurking about looking at various bits and bobs and read this and I happened to have been looking at a black and red rally style leather strap while I've been looking for a new strap for my watch.

Watch strap Racing 18mm black leather red stitching by Barington

(Don't know if they're any good or not but it just seemed to be very similar to what you're suggesting.)

Nice prezzy btw.

T

1 - 20 of 21 Posts