WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Here is a link to the Youtube review, scroll down to continue the written review

The C60 is a diving style watch with a rotating bezel, screw down crown and is powered by either a ETA 2824 or a Sellita SW200 -1.
The Sellita is basically a clone of the ETA 2824, and should perform very similarly, and with a 5 year movement warranty from CW I would not worry about which movement you get.

Although some may remember issues with the Sellita SW200 a few years back, those issues were addressed with the SW200-1 movement.

I don't know what movement is in this unit, but it has been keeping good time, or close to 4 seconds fast per 24 hours.

Before getting my hands on the Trident C60 I had seen many photos of the watch, and seen some forum readers mention that the photos did not do the watch justice, and this is true,the Trident C60 in person is even more impressive than the photos would make you believe.

The price of this configuration of the Trident is 415 punds, and 345 punds for non ec countries.

The packaging:
The Trident C60 arrives in a brown cardboard box, and inside there is a yellow or cream colored box with the Christopher Ward logo. Inside this box you have the black actual watch box, and a owners handbook, micro fiber cloth and a very nice signed letter congratulating the reader on his purchase.
The watch box also has the WW logo and when you open it up you see the watch it self.

The packaging is extremely good for a watch in this price range.
Box Product Material property Carton Brand

Case:

The case of the Trident is 42 mm in diameter and 13 mm high and weighs around 190 grams with this stainless steel strap. The case is a stainless steel case with a brushed finish on the side and a high reflective surfaces on the top. These small details make the watch look more expensive than it actually is.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Watch Silver Metal Fashion accessory Titanium

Bezel:
The Bezel on the Trident has a charcoal colored insert. The bezel is unidirectional, so it moves in the counter clockwise direction, this is a safety feature for divers.
The bezel is a 120 click bezel.
The bezel is easy to turn, and the turning action is on the lighter side, so I was afraid that it would be accidentally rotating by getting bumped, it did not get moved by accident yet, but personally I would have preferred the bezel to be just a little bit stiffer.
There is just a tiny little play in the bezel like with many rotating bezel watches, actually less than in many more expensive watches, but nothing to be worried about.

The charcoal color of the bezel on this model looks very nice in my opinion, and the pictures at CW really do not show the color well. The C60 is also available with a black bezel insert and khaki color insert.
I have seen stated on the internet that the watch has a 60 click bezel, and I don't know if CW changed anything recently but this watch definitely has a 120 click bezel.

The bezel on this unit aligns perfectly to the dial markers on the watch, something that I always with for when receiving a new dive style watch.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

Dial:
The dial of the Trident is a dark dial with wave like patterns on the dial.
The dial has the Christopher wad logo, below the 12 o'clock position and Trident Pro, 300 m/100ft Automatic.
There is also the Swiss made writing on the bottom part of the bezel.
There is a date window just below the 4 o'clock position, the window is not exactly lined with the o'clock position of the watch, but this does not bother me too much.
The dial has round hour and rectangular hour markers that are lumed and raised with silver boarders, and in addition to the large round hour markers there are also smaller round hour markers closer to the dials edges.
Around the edge of the dial we also have second/minute markers and 1/5 second markers.

The hour and minute hands on the C60 are lumed and kind of remind me of the Bremont supermarine hands. The second hand in not lumed, but has an interesting Trident on the counter weight side of the hand.

Lume:
The lume on the Trident C60 is interesting, on the CW webpage it all looks green, but in my experience the lume on the dial is more of a blue /green color, and the bezel pip is a green color.
CW states that the lume on the watch is Super-luminova, I am not sure what exact color it is though it could be C1.
The lume on the C60 lasted at least 7 hours when I tested it, in a dark room after exposure to a bright light source for some time.
The lume had become quite dark but was still visible and readable in darkness.
The smaller lume dots on the edges of the dial lasted much longer than the larger hour markers.
Watch Analog watch Auto part Darkness Fashion accessory

Crystal:
The crystal on the Trident is a 4 mm thick sapphire crystal with any-reflective coating. This is a flat crystal and it sits around half a mm above the bezel.
Watch Auto part Metal

Case Back:
The case back on the C60 is a polished case back with a Trident logo and a serial number.
The drawback to having a polished case back on a bracelet watch is that you often put the watch down resting on the bracelet, but with the polished case back you are possibly more likely to get visible scratches than with a non polished finish.
The case back is also fairly flat and not very convex, this helps the watch sit close to the wrist, and makes it a good candidate to use with nato straps in my opinion.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Crown:
The crown on the C60 is a signed screw down crown that measures almost 6 mm in diameter.
The crown is easy enough to get a hold on and turn, and securely grabs the threads on the case tube very well, nothing to complain about here.

Watch Auto part Metal

Bracelet:
The braclet of this C60 is the stainless steel bracelet, and it has brushed and polished surfaces as you can see, and this fits the case of the watch very well. The bracelet features a folding clasp with a push release configuration.
I have read many complaints about the previous butterfly clasp bracelet on the C60, but CW seems to have addressed those complaints and the folding clasp on the C60 worked very well.
The bracelet has a diving extention in addition to a few micro adjustments.
From what I could figure only the last three positions could be effectively used, due to the locking mechanism of the bracelet.
The bracelet uses a push pin system to remove links.

Fashion accessory Strap Buckle Material property Hand

On the wrist:
The C60 wears well and site rather low to the wrist. It does look its size but has a more refined look than many other dive watches, and is perfect under a shirt sleeve or with a T-shirt.

Wrist Finger Arm Hand Fashion accessory

Ring Fashion accessory Jewellery Wrist Finger

Watch Analog watch Wrist Watch accessory Fashion accessory

Other details
CW offers a 5 year warranty on the movement of their watches, and there are not many players in the watch business that offer this kind of warranty today.
The 60 days free return from CW should provide piece of mind to those who are afraid of getting buyers remorse, because they should be able to ship that watch back to CW for a refund, or exchange.
I am guessing that their policies state that you can't wear or resize the watches or use them, but perhaps you can still see how it looks and if it fits you, one of the biggest worries I have when ordering watches online.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Fantastic review. A Trident was my first "real" watch so it will always have a special place for me.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Wow, very informative review and appreciate the video in particular (it's nice to see a watch in motion on someone's wrist to gauge how it'll look in real life). The C60 is a beautiful watch.

If you don't mind my asking, what's your wrist size? I have skinny wrists (~6.5"), and I doubt I'd be able to pull this watch off, but it seems very well proportioned on your wrist.

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
Congrats and great job on the review. I love Christopher Ward watches and have 4 including the Tri Tech C600 Diver but every time I see a review like yours for the Trident I start thinking MAYBE I have room for one more CW. Wear it in good health....it looks great on your wrist.

Shawn

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks a lot guys :)

Gouverneur, my wrist size is around 7,2" if Im doing the conversion correctly (18,5 cm).

Kind of funny about these watch matters, most things are measured in mm and meters (sometimes feet), but when it comes to wrist sizes everyone seems to use inches lol.

With the 60 day free return policy from CW, it should be less of an issue if you see right away that the watch does not fit.
http://www.christopherward.co.uk/60guarantee.html

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Very nice review. Think I'm going to have to add this one to my wish list.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Nice review! I have a blue Trident C61 incoming so, reading this adds to the anxiousness! I have wanted a CW for a while so, I finally decided to get one for daily activities. I recently sold my Seamaster so, I like the wave pattern and other additions which give this watch its own uniqueness.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts