WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WATCH REVIEW

WATCH NAME - Christopher Ward C65 Trident, Vintage Diver

In the last month or so I have sold two Chris Ward watches, and bought two. I waved goodbye to my C60 Trident Pro, and my C6 Kingfisher, and brought in a C65 Super Compressor and the C65 Trident I am reviewing today. I bought the watch used from an eBay seller, albeit the watch has hardly been worn and is in mint condition.

I am sure that anyone watching this will know Christopher Ward are a British based micro brand that have their watches made in Switzerland. They are renowned for producing very well-made timepieces at reasonable prices.

SPECIFICATIONS - Case 41mm, lug width 22mm, lug to lug 47mm, depth 11.5mm, weight 81 grams

PRESENTATION - Premium sliding wooden box.

MOVEMENT & CROWN - The crown is about 7mm, signed and operates beautifully. It's a shame Chris Ward decided to make it a push pull, rather than screw in, but I expect this has something to do with vintage theme.

The watch is running a hand wind Sellita SW210 movement, that runs at 28,800bph, hacks and hand winds. Regrettably this one was running at -23spd. My personal tolerance is +10/-5 spd, so well outside what I would expect. The movement is even outside manufacturers specification. As the watch has now passed the timeframe CW would consider regulating it, I did it myself in a matter of minutes, and it now runs pretty spot on. This is the second consecutive CW watch I have had that is poorly regulated.

CASE, CRYSTAL & FINISH -
The sapphire crystal is box domed and has what looks like a clear AR coating.

Like all CW watches, the overall finishing is superb. The case is polished on the sides, and vertically brushed on the top. The level of brushing and polishing is as good as you would expect on any high-end watch. The slim case, mainly due to the thin stack of the movement, makes this watch very easy to wear. The screw down case back has the CW trident emblem embossed on the back.

BRACELET/STRAP & CLASP - The watch arrived with two straps. It was on an unused black rubber strap, which is possibly the best quality strap of this type I have ever handled. It also had a brown leather vintage strap, which again was of fantastic quality. This was a pleasant surprize for me, as I have never been a great fan of either their straps or bracelets, although their bracelet clasps are indeed excellent. Unfortunately, I am not sure that either strap shows off the dial as I would like, so I have put on a golden brown sailcloth strap from Geckota. I believe this colour enhances the watch's indices beautifully.

BEZEL - It's a good bezel, but not a great one. I am not sure if the bezel is alloy or steel. It is reasonably easy to grip, and aligns well, however there is a little back-play, and it doesn't offer quite the resistance I would like. To be fair, this isn't the type of watch anyone will ever take diving, and arguably won't even take into the water.

DIAL & LUME - I believe the lume is Superlumanova Old Radium, which is fitting for a vintage diver. It isn't brilliant, but it's as good as I would expect, so no complaints. These watches come in either black, green, or blue. I had room for a blue diver in my collection, so waited for the right one to come along. The simplicity, accompanied by the lovely shade of blue make this watch a real stunner. Some people don't like the "Christopher Ward" writing at 9pm, I have no issue with it all. It has a self coloured CW emblem at 12pm, and no date.

WATER RESISTANCE - 150m not ISO rated

PRICE &VALUE FOR MONEY - A brand new one these cost about £700, although CW always have some sort of offer going on. I am not sure if this model is any longer produced, as I see no mention of it on their website at present. I picked this one up from eBay for £285, which I consider a bit of a bargain. A Swiss watch with a Swiss movement, with this sort of finish at this sort of price can be considered value for money, and that's no mistake

QC ISSUES & Dislikes - I consider the back-play, albeit minimal, a QC issue. I am also very disappointed with the poor regulation, and believe this is something CW need to get on top of. As far as dislikes are concerned, absolutely nothing. This is a classic diver with great dimensions.

LIKES - Firstly, the aesthetics of this watch are classic, and in my opinion quite stunning. The dimensions are perfect for most men's wrists, which in turn contribute to a very comfortable timepiece. As usual, the overall finish is excellent, and you can't help but notice you are wearing a thing of quality every time you glance at it.

SUMMARY
- I would like to think this watch will be a keeper, but I don't know how many times I have said that in the past. It's the type of watch that wouldn't look out of place anywhere you decide to wear it. I would absolutely recommend this to anyone, but be prepared to either put up with a badly regulated watch, to send it back, or risk invalidating the warranty and regulating it yourself. Of course, you may be lucky and get one that is accurate.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I have the c65 yellow. It has a SS bezel, applied indices, white lume, metallic goldenrod dial and fine black text. The pull out crown only makes sense for a hand wound watch. The bezel has zero free play and plenty of resistance. It is my best time keeper at a half a second per day.

I put mine on their new tropic strap. It is my favorite watch and I think the best looking watch Christopher Ward has made to date.

·
Banned
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the c65 yellow. It has a SS bezel, applied indices, white lume, metallic goldenrod dial and fine black text. The pull out crown only makes sense for a hand wound watch. The bezel has zero free play and plenty of resistance. It is my best time keeper at a half a second per day.

I put mine on their new tropic strap. It is my favorite watch and I think the best looking watch Christopher Ward has made to date.
Yes, I can see the black tropic strap would work really well with the yellow dial. In my opinion it wasn't great with the blue dial. Bezels can vary from watch to watch, as can regulation. Mine of course has the same applied indices, although the 6 and the 12 are painted on. Yes, it's a wonderful watch, especially since I regulated mine.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Thanks for the great review. I’m always so close to purchasing a Chris Ward watch. Seem like very nice watches. This one in particular illustrates why I don’t. Please put the name below the 12 so the dial is symmetrical. They don’t have to do it on all watches, but this one screams for it. Otherwise, love the colors and dimensions. Good luck and I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from it.

·
Banned
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the great review. I'm always so close to purchasing a Chris Ward watch. Seem like very nice watches. This one in particular illustrates why I don't. Please put the name below the 12 so the dial is symmetrical. They don't have to do it on all watches, but this one screams for it. Otherwise, love the colors and dimensions. Good luck and I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from it.
If that bothers you (and it doesn't me) have a look at the Super Compressor, it's my favorite watch

·
Banned
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, the C65 case is very snug on the wrist, and I love the strap on your blue version

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Had the same watch myself, excellent value for money (particularly if bought during one of CW's many sales).
I changed direction in my collection so moved it on as I didn't really take to hand winding, but didn't regret buying it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Used to own the C65 and it was my first watch from Christopher Ward. Now I own a C60 38mm that I'm in love with. Might consider picking up the Super Compressor in the future too. Definitely prefer them on bracelets though.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
Fantastic write up and watch, congrats! C65 Dartmouth blue owner here. I am blown away and it exceeds my every expectation

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've loved these vintage divers since they were first released, and really like the Dartmouth versions. Do you find this case wears particularly bigger or smaller than its stated 41mm size? I've always been hesitant to really look at these as they seem large (for me) at first glance.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I also had a C65 in blue.
Lovely watch, great on the wrist, and the adjustable bracelet is the best.
I was first drawn to it because of the similarities to the Bell & Ross BR V2-92 Aeronavale.
In the end, I sold the C65 and bought the Aeronavale.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I also had a C65 in blue.
Lovely watch, great on the wrist, and the adjustable bracelet is the best.
I was first drawn to it because of the similarities to the Bell & Ross BR V2-92 Aeronavale.
In the end, I sold the C65 and bought the Aeronavale.

View attachment 15772479
I always thought that was a really attractive watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
The push-pull crown has nothing to do with "vintage theme" and everything to do with it being a mechanical. Think about it. Good review otherwise.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I have one of these as well. I particularly like the fact that the markings are very lightly done on the watch. Much lighter than others in the C65 range. I would probably prefer indices to numbers at 6 and 12, but it doesn't matter. I love the strap you put on the watch. Mine came with a honey coloured antique leather that also looks good. The CW bracelet is a terrific match with this watch, so. One of my favourite watches.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Excellent review..my 2 C65 hand-crankers say 'hello, & neither of us have had any time keeping issues'...
Watch Analog watch Product Clock Watch accessory

Watch Analog watch White Clock Everyday carry

1 - 20 of 26 Posts