WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting a dive watch recently, and have mainly looked at the seamaster professional ceramic , Tudor black bay, and possibly Oris 65. I like Chris ward, but assumed the quality was less than that of watches by these more upscale brands.

Yesterday however, I noticed Chris ward produces a chronometer trident 600 with an in house 5day movement, which blew me away. Seriously, an in house 5day movement, sapphire, ceramic bezel, 600m water resistance, micro adjustable bracelet with chronometer certification for $2500CAD.

I have never seen a trident in person, but a friend of mine recently bought one, and last night he decided to come over to show me his new watch. Now, my best watch is my quartz 2500 Omega Aqua Terra. Is is a beautiful watch that definitely feels high quality. However, I don't know whether I can really say it feels much better than the Chris Ward. And the Ward has every feature I could possibly want in a diver and looks great. Sure, the Tudor and omegas may edge it out a bit in aesthetic appeal and design, but at this point, is there a significant difference in finishing/quality?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Every so often a brand comes along that offers a high level of bang-for-the-buck. Christopher Ward is one such brand. Go for it.

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
You're talking about a company that was founded this century. Since they have very limited history, one concern I'd have is with future parts availability for a movement they made themselves. Just IMO.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Sure, the Tudor and omegas may edge it out a bit in aesthetic appeal and design, but at this point, is there a significant difference in finishing/quality?
Isn't that what watches are all about these days, the aesthetic appeal and design. Not much of a difference in finishing/quality can be found between watches few thousand dollars apart.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Chr Ward Trident line is of very good quality. For vast majority of people - look and feel is as good as Tag\Omega. The differences are really in small details - movement, originality, fit of bracelets, finish on case\lugs. The biggest difference which you end up paying for is the brand. Not that there is anything wrong with it...since for the most part Chr Ward uses outsourced movements and does not have same R&D nor cost structure as Omega or like.

So unless, you want to have a brand name people recognize, I would 100% recommend Chr Ward to you as quality watches at a nice price.

However, I would add... why not get the regular Trident 600 instead? It is a third of the price. And yes, it is not COSC, but do you really need chronometer certification on your diver? cause you pay a big premium for it. And it does not have in-house SH21 movement... but in-house does not automatically mean superior. Non cosc Tridents come with ETA or Sellita movements that are reliable, easy to repair\service, and have a proven track record.
I would suggest a Trident Pro 600 over Trident COSC.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I'm with EnderW on this. For substantially less you can get the same watch with an ETA movement instead of the inhouse movement. Mine cost me less than $650 direct from CW when they had a sale and I had a coupon too. It's not COSC rated but it's still pretty accurate and any good watchmaker can service the ETA movement. It doesn't have a 5 day power reserve but that doesn't bother me. The money I saved over the inhouse version makes up for that.

John

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chr Ward Trident line is of very good quality. For vast majority of people - look and feel is as good as Tag\Omega. The differences are really in small details - movement, originality, fit of bracelets, finish on case\lugs. The biggest difference which you end up paying for is the brand. Not that there is anything wrong with it...since for the most part Chr Ward uses outsourced movements and does not have same R&D nor cost structure as Omega or like.

So unless, you want to have a brand name people recognize, I would 100% recommend Chr Ward to you as quality watches at a nice price.

However, I would add... why not get the regular Trident 600 instead? It is a third of the price. And yes, it is not COSC, but do you really need chronometer certification on your diver? cause you pay a big premium for it. And it does not have in-house SH21 movement... but in-house does not automatically mean superior. Non cosc Tridents come with ETA or Sellita movements that are reliable, easy to repair\service, and have a proven track record.
I would suggest a Trident Pro 600 over Trident COSC.
The fact is that although brand appeal does mean something to me, it only really means something to me if a) the reason for the brand's cache is due to a real tangible difference eg. Rolex quality manufacturing and QC or b) the brand name speaks to other people knowledgeable in the area i.e I want my watch to be a watch/brand that is recognized and appreciated by other WISs, but don't care about the public at large.

Regarding the SH21 movement, I realize that in house may not necessarily correspond to better, however I regard the 5 day power reserve to be a real achievement and a particularly cool feature.

In general, I agree with you on the advantages of proven established movements that are easy to service, and my limited funds definitely does draw me to the significantly cheaper price of the regular trident, but the limited funds also means I try to make my collection as varied and all inclusive as possible. My collection consists of the following:

1)Aqua Terra - Quartz movement , all rounder design, brushed steel bracelet , time-date
2)Longines Dolce Vita - Quartz, chronograph, dress watch, croc style leather
3)Hamilton Khaki Navy GMT- ETA Automatic, casual field style, rubber strap, GMT
4) various fashion watches from pre-WIS days

I still have no in house movement, no diver, and no chronometer, no Japanese watches, no German watches and nothing with any finishing on the movement. This Chris Ward ticks a lot of boxes, and for an in house chronometer movement with large power reserve the price is pretty competitive. Especially considering that one of my favourites, the Black Bay, just added the exact same improvements (with a smaller power reserve) for nearly twice the price. Plus as much as I live the black bay, the no date thing would drive me insane.

I'm also drawn to the Steinhart ocean titanium premium as a diver. It's a bit nicer and is titanium, but lacks a lot of the features (especially the micro adjustable bracelet).

Otherwise, I'd definitely go for the typical trident.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I wouldn't say that there will be significant differences between Omega/Tudor and a CW but there certainly are enough differences, for someone to wanna pay that extra buck.
And like what the previous posters mentioned, I'd vote to go for the regular trident instead of the in-house version.

Also, the only reason why I wouldn't get a CW is the fickle mindedness of their brand identity.
3 different logos in as many years is simply.. a turn off.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wouldn't say that there will be significant differences between Omega/Tudor and a CW but there certainly are enough differences, for someone to wanna pay that extra buck
Can you please elaborate on these differences?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Also, the only reason why I wouldn't get a CW is the fickle mindedness of their brand identity.
Honestly glad to hear someone else say this. I've seen this forum push the Chr Ward brand and I'm sure the quality is there. But as someone who works in the design space, that brand identity totally kills it for me.

I get it - it shouldn't matter. Quality should be factor numero uno. But I'm a brand guy at heart and I just can't ignore the brand issue with Chr Ward watches.

·
Premium Member
14,909 Posts
CWs oR Chr WARD look good are well made but if you pay full price for one especially the in house C60 you WILL get a serious hit on resale assuming you eventually sell. So because of this I would aim for the regular trident non cosc since resale would not hurt as much. 5 day PR is good though and you got to give them props for it. Maybe soon enough Oris wil put their 10 day PR in a diver now that would be something...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure what my thoughts are on resale now. Originally I planned on flipping watches, but now I'm not sure. So far I haven't sold a watch.

·
Premium Member
22,579 Posts
It sounds like the CW Trident Chronometer uses the same case as the non-chronometer version, and you're paying a substantial premium for an in-house movement with the 5 day power reserve. I rather pay the premium for an exceptional case and bracelet but a more pedestrian movement, which is why I bought the Tudor Black Bay. Having experienced many watches at different price points, I find the quality of fit with the modern Tudors to be exceptional, and almost comparable to their Rolex siblings, and noticeably better than anything else at a comparable or lower price point.

Reactions: fjblair

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
It sounds like the CW Trident Chronometer uses the same case as the non-chronometer version, and you're paying a substantial premium for an in-house movement with the 5 day power reserve. I rather pay the premium for an exceptional case and bracelet but a more pedestrian movement, which is why I bought the Tudor Black Bay. Having experienced many watches at different price points, I find the quality of fit with the modern Tudors to be exceptional, and almost comparable to their Rolex siblings, and noticeably better than anything else at a comparable or lower price point.

Agree with that, bracelet quality and clasp is so important.

The bracelet on the CW Trident is actually very good, the end link fit is also excellent, but the clasp is pretty bad.

ps. The lume isn't great either, instead of using C3, they went with very light application of C1

·
Registered
394 Posts
Agree with that, bracelet quality and clasp is so important.

The bracelet on the CW Trident is actually very good, the end link fit is also excellent, but the clasp is pretty bad.

ps. The lume isn't great either, instead of using C3, they went with very light application of C1
I love my Trident. The lume is the one gripe I have with it. I've seen Invictas with better lume.

·
Registered
698 Posts
One thing you need to consider when looking at these watches is how big you want this thing to be. The Seamaster Ceramic and Oris 65 are smaller, more compact watches that will more easily fit under a shirt cuff (if that's your thing). While the Black Bay and Trident aren't HUGE, I wouldn't call them svelte either. I would try to look at them side by side if you would be able to, I think you'll be surprised at the size differences.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
The Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro is a very good watch and the quality is very close to more 'premium' brands, certainly not as far apart as prices would suggest. The C60 Pro having excelent quality finishing, 600m water resistance, available in two sizes 43mm and 38mm, and with a 5 year warranty - it's very hard to criticize.

I love them...

Longines_Heritage_Diver_1967_12.jpg
ChrWard_C60_Trident_Pro_16.jpg

·
Registered
586 Posts
I wouldn't say that there will be significant differences between Omega/Tudor and a CW but there certainly are enough differences, for someone to wanna pay that extra buck.
And like what the previous posters mentioned, I'd vote to go for the regular trident instead of the in-house version.

I agree to a degree. I kind of like that CW has eras of development. The ChrWARD watches are going to be desirable just based on the fact that they look great and now are limited in quantity.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts