WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The OP is correct that Ward would sell more watches with a better logo. I would own 2-3 by now for sure were it not for the silly name/logo they use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Exactly - It might be irrational, it may be stupid and it doesn't make the watches bad watches - but it does effect peoples decision making, as it has mine.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think many have failed the grasp the meaning of my post - no Christopher Ward are not a fashion brand and yes they make great watches..... but does their name effect their success? I think it does.

There are many people who are put off by the branding. No it doesn't make their watches worse, but I do believe it affects their success.

My point is that brands where someone's full name is used on the dial are normally fashion brands (Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren, Paul Smith, Daniel Wellington). Where a person name is the brand it is usually because it is 'their' brand, that they originally started. People are buying their designs, their fashion houses style. The owner of these companies oversee all design (or at least originally did, prior to mass market success).

In the case of watch making where someone's name is on the dial it is often because they are the master watchmaker, and they handcrafted the item or originally did so before mass market success (Roger Smith, Phillipe Dufour, Audemars Piguet, A Lange & Sohne).

This is clearly not the case with Christopher Ward, he was one of three founders, and I think you would be pushing it to describe him as a master watchmaker, however good their watches are for the money - I just can't fathom the use of his name and found it odd.... its never been 'his' work alone, there is almost an arrogance putting your name of the dial, when you have not hand crafted the item- to me his name bears little relevance to the item (I understand he now has little involvement with the company, compared to the other founders).

Yes there are brands that use the founder name in part or an alterations of it (Breitling or Stowa for instance) but I can't help but think Christopher Ward are lumbered with a brand image / name that inhibits them and their success - there's a reason these threads keep appearing.

Many brand names / logo are materialised and 'fictional' due to their symmetry etc (Nomos, Rolex).

I do believe the Christopher Ward brand is not 'successful' from a marketing viewpoint as highlighted by their many logo changes - clearly they themselves are unsure of how to deal with it, which to me says all you need to know.

It is a long standing issue from the first day they founded the company and an issue that is impossible to fix.
I beg to differ.

If, someday in the future, a select few "watch connoisseurs" start praising the Christopher Ward brand, you'll see that the issue will quickly become an advantage.

We could explore this matter further but I reckon it wouldn't please the majority.

I just would like to state the following: instead of advertising the brand name as a selling point, I find that CW is following the route of offering great value-for-money. That's the best choice to be made for long term success.

Regards.

·
Premium Member
7,978 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Sorry to be a grammar n***... but both of these should be "affect". As written with "effect" they mean somewhat the opposite of what's intended.
You are correct, but you are also as bad as my wife who is a teacher and corrects my WhatsApp messages!

Bad grammar is allowed on social media, or at least that is my excuse.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I am big fan of CW & have owned many over the years, but I must admit I am put off by the full name on the dial, I much prefer the CHR WARD Logo.

Reactions: Simon

·
Premium Member
7,944 Posts
I agree with the OP
I think Christopher Ward is too long a name to put on a dial
and a simple logo would be better - or just "Ward" sounds pretty cool

It is the only slight negative I have about the brand which I think offer outstanding value on quality pieces
I Love mine
IMG_9382.jpeg

Reactions: Batboy

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,779 Posts
The OP is correct that Ward would sell more watches with a better logo. I would own 2-3 by now for sure were it not for the silly name/logo they use.

And how many sales would be lost by switching to a more generic design? Christopher Ward is by outward appearances a success story. I remember when the micro brand released their first watch.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I have a couple of the CW below. Looking at the pics here, it appears you just have to wait a bit and the logo will change again....maybe you will like it then.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I have a couple of the CW below. Looking at the pics here, it appears you just have to wait a bit and the logo will change again....maybe you will like it then.
View attachment 15647958 View attachment 15647959
CW are on record (at least for now) that they will NOT transition to this logo and have it replace the current one. That’s too bad, because that is what they should do and would win me as a customer. These two models are not to my taste, but several others are (except for the logo)

·
Premium Member
4,499 Posts
I hope the come out with a new logo at 6 o'clock, saying C WARD with a unicorn behind it.

Then we'll have 8 million more threads about it. YAWN.

·
Premium Member
66,518 Posts
Chris helped found the brand so why shouldn’t his name be on the dial. It’s no different to Stan Seiko or Fred Rolex. :D

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
I like the brand and the name.

Does not deter me from purchasing a CW watch.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Chris has every right to have his name on the logo, but unfortunately, it does keep me from purchasing. I'm not too worried about it though, many other watches I want.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I just think CW is a super good value. Those blue sapphire sandwich watches are awesome for around $1k..!

Picked up a compressor like the OP but in camel leather, since I'm across the Atlantic a lot longer for shipping.
Down the road I'd be interested in getting this super cool field watch from CW. Nice 38mm size, no date, clean dial, and chronometer certified for under $1k on strap. Oh on top of that British Ministry of Defence approved!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Got my new C60 a few days ago. As nice an an Omega. Not Omega pricing.

Love it and their logo and branding. If you don’t, sell it and someone else will enjoy a fine watch.

View attachment 15647184 View attachment 15647185
Bought this and watch last year and it’s one of my favorite. It’s got more wrist time than my Omegas and Tudor BB. Similar quality without the worry about the cost. I own 4 CWs (and many others) and they are some of the best bang for your buck - wish they’d bring back some of their original dress models.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I agree with the OP. Having the full name on the watch is a no-go for me. Too many famous people with good brands have fallen from grace for one reason or another (personal, professional or both) and basically destroyed value. The watches are no doubt quality, but there is inherent risk from having products with a persons full name - recognizable as such - associated directly with the brand. If they switched to CW, with a nod to the founder, that's cool, but then rebrand from there.

·
Premium Member
7,978 Posts
Too many famous people with good brands have fallen from grace for one reason or another (personal, professional or both) and basically destroyed value.
I'm struggling to think of a brand that this has happened to. Any examples?

21 - 40 of 57 Posts