WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow!

Just Wow!!

...but a nightmare to capture ...reflections, reflections.

Definitely my fave watch to date - but then it's probably my most expensive watch to date - and probably the longest wait :-d .

·
Registered
158 Posts
Wow!

Just Wow!!

...but a nightmare to capture ...reflections, reflections.

I have the original version and was thinking of getting the black 1938 as well... But... what happened to that beautiful pressed dial?
The numerals look almost flat like printed ones? Compare with a photo shot by Mike:

The numerals and Stowa logo are clearly raised and often mistaken to be applied numerals.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fear not - it is just the photo, or rather the photographer :roll: !
Did I mention the reflections :-d ?

The dial is a thing of lustrous beauty, and luxurious colour.

As stated on the website;
"A convex sapphire glass [did I mention the reflections] protects the intricately embossed dial. The date feature is the result of some extra effort: apart from the 8-fold embossing, another combination of embossing and punching is necessary to create the date display."

Here are a couple more shots, with a 100% crop, which I hope you can see the 'raised' numerals.

These shots also give an idea of the thickness of the watch [not slim, but then again with a Valjoux 7753 movement it was never going to be].
There is a perfectly good side on photo on the Stowa website.

I'd like to reassure viewers that it fits perfectly on my wrist despite the wrist shot suggesting otherwise - simply a combination of a poorly adjusted strap with wrist contortions attempting to get a reflection free pic - did I mention the reflections b-) ?

I'm in love with this watch.
The regulation seems to be absolutely bang on too :-!.

Reactions: Ogi and brainless

·
Registered
44 Posts
FYI - regarding reflections, if you are shooting with a Digital SLR you can purchase a circular polarizing filter, for your lens. This filter will cut down on the reflections. That being said, all these photographs are great!

·
Registered
158 Posts
"A convex sapphire glass [did I mention the reflections] protects the intricately embossed dial. The date feature is the result of some extra effort: apart from the 8-fold embossing, another combination of embossing and punching is necessary to create the date display."

Here are a couple more shots, with a 100% crop, which I hope you can see the 'raised' numerals.
Excuse the crappy cellphone photo, but please compare to my original 1938.
The black is also a beauty still, but it looks like Stowa uses a different dial manufacturer.
Apart from the obvious it looks different to me anyways.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Your right, very different,not the same quality at least it looks that way from the photos!!!
Excuse the crappy cellphone photo, but please compare to my original 1938.
The black is also a beauty still, but it looks like Stowa uses a different dial manufacturer.
Apart from the obvious it looks different to me anyways.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hmmm...I think the cream certainly looks more pronounced on the numerals and logo. Is the black dial painted and so fills up the dial somewhat?

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,632 Posts
Can somebody from Stowa reply?
This is the Official Jörg Schauer & Stowa Forum. Jörg chimes in from time to time but he is not present here all the time. If you are eagerly interested in getting an answer questioned and don't get the answer here then drop Stowa an email. The Stowa team are happy to answer all your inquiries in a timely manner. Their service is known to be top notch. However, as already pointed out by brainless, there will be no answer because the team is off.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Your right, very different,not the same quality at least it looks that way from the photos!!!

Ren, what do You mean by not the same quality.
It is strange but it looks like my previous post with same question to You has been removed.
Ogi

1 - 20 of 82 Posts