Hello,

I'm looking to buy a chronograph watch with the following must features :

1. Automatic mechanical.
2. Stopping seconds (hacking).
3. Column wheel.
4. Vertical clutch.
5. No date.
6. Sapphire crystal front.
7. Under or equal to 42 mm case diameter.
8. Case not made from soft precious metals.

Does such a watch exist ?

·
Premium Member
6,662 Posts
It is called Daytona.
Good choice, but not really high end. The Heuer Autavia chrono would be another that would fit the bill but isn't high end.

The one thing that's harder to know, for me, is whether or not those or other watches have hacking. It's harder to find that in specs sometimes.

A bit more on the high-end side, maybe this?

polaris_chrono.jpg

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hi!

Not sure there is a watch that meets all these criteria in one, but here are two that are close:
The Panerai 653 meets all the criteria except for the size, it's 44mm;
The Frederique Constant Flyback manufacture meets all the criteria except for the clutch mechanism, it's actually a weird hybrid, also it's not really high end.

I am not sure about other models that have those features without stopping seconds, but I would say the most difficult is probably finding a flyback without a date window. I hate them too, but most people seem to favor them which explains why they are always here to ruin the dial. My thought process is: if you don't even know the date it is, are you the kind of person who should be wearing a watch? (joking of course)

All the best,
A.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Oh and I forgot, H. Moser recently released a 42mm steel Flyback Chronograph with no date, and an innovative clutch system that makes pretty much the same "smooth" activation as the vertical clutch, except it's still technically a lateral clutch. So you do have the wear when leaving the chronograph activated all the time, but you have correct jumping minutes and hours, and the second activation is smooth.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks,
I think the Moser you're talking about is hand wound.
I actually think that moser is automatic, it's just been designed so the rotor is dial side in order to expose the movement like it's a manual wind.

The closest I could personally think of was the blancpain leman flyback chronograph, however it does have a small date at 6.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Thanks,
I think the Moser you're talking about is hand wound.
The Moser is an automatic. The chronograph module developed by Agenhor in collaboration with Moser is assembled in a way that the rotor is mounted on the dial side to expose the intricacy of the movement on the caseback. It’s similar to the module used in the Track 1 by Singer reimagined (movement called the AgenGraphe).

Here is a great article that explains why this movement is so impressive:
https://quillandpad.com/2017/02/20/exclusive-the-agengraphe-by-agenhor-the-most-significant-chronograph-since-since-the-invention-of-the-chronograph/

·
Premium Member
6,662 Posts
"Blancpain"

I'm not aware of any Blancpain that fits the bill.
Calibre F388B is a flyback with vertical clutch and column wheel. It's also high-beat.

It's used in the Air Command, which is limited edition, steel, no date, and sapphire.

BUT, it's 42.5 mm, so too big, and I don't know if it hacks.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Calibre F388B is a flyback with vertical clutch and column wheel. It's also high-beat.

It's used in the Air Command, which is limited edition, steel, no date, and sapphire.

BUT, it's 42.5 mm, so too big, and I don't know if it hacks.
If it's based on the F385(in the Bathyscaphe Chrono), it does.

·
Premium Member
6,662 Posts
Reactions: GrouchoM

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
You’re probably going to have to compromise on at least one or two of your criteria. If you do:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts