WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

Today I've purchased a navitimer montbrillant datora havana.

I've noticed that no matter what I do, the 12 o clock subdial will not move.

I understand that this subdial has the purpose of displaying the passed minutes of the chronograph.
When starting to messure time I do see the big second hand display the seconds and the 6 o clock subdial showing the hours... but the 12 o clock subdial does not move at all.

Am I doing something wrong here?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hello.

Today I've purchased a navitimer montbrillant datora havana.

I've noticed that no matter what I do, th12 o clock subdial will not move.

I understand that this subdial has the purpose of displaying the passed minutes of the chronograph.
When starting to messure time I do see the big second hand display the seconds and the 6 o clock subdial showing the hours... but the 12 o clock subdial does not move at all.

Am I doing something wrong here?
dear daiken,
are you talking about the 30 minutes totalizer located at the 6 o'clock of the watch? it should turn one notch one minute after the upper right button is pushed. if it doesn't turn after the pushing the upper right button, then, there is really something wrong with your watch.
but before complaining, you should first push the upper right button for the watch to start counting the minutes, without pushing the upper right button, your 30 minutes totalizer will never work.

note:
►i also have a problem with a similar watch but not a breitling, but my problem is really weird.
►the 30 minutes totalizer turn one notch every minute that passes by, but somestimes it doesn't. Since the omega and the breitling datora has the same movement, if ever you will have your watch fixed, please tell me what parts they change? my guess would be, the 30 minutes totalizer wheel should be replaced, but that's only my guess.
►Now, if you just bought the datora, they will either fix it for free and they will change your watch.

there is also one incident regarding a breitling that my sister-in-law bought for her doctor husband. here is the story:
my sister in law bought a breitling navitimer for her husband the day before she is going to leave for the U.S. (sister-in-law and husband is living in the U.S, she can buy it in the U.S but she decided to buy it as a gift during her vacation) when she arrived in the U.S, they called to say that the watch is not working. we didn't test the watch because it was brand new coming from an AD.
the watch was inspected at a U.S breitling AD and they confirmed it is not working, watch now is in switzerland, and i don't know when it will come back to the U.S.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dear daiken,
are you talking about the 30 minutes totalizer located at the 6 o'clock of the watch? it should turn one notch one minute after the upper right button is pushed. if it doesn't turn after the pushing the upper right button, then, there is really something wrong with your watch.
but before complaining, you should first push the upper right button for the watch to start counting the minutes, without pushing the upper right button, your 30 minutes totalizer will never work.

note:
►i also have a problem with a similar watch but not a breitling, but my problem is really weird.
►the 30 minutes totalizer turn one notch every minute that passes by, but somestimes it doesn't. Since the omega and the breitling datora has the same movement, if ever you will have your watch fixed, please tell me what parts they change? my guess would be, the 30 minutes totalizer wheel should be replaced, but that's only my guess.
►Now, if you just bought the datora, they will either fix it for free and they will change your watch.

there is also one incident regarding a breitling that my sister in law for her doctor husband. here is the story:
my sister in law bought a breitling navitimer for her husband the day before she is going to leave for the U.S. (sister in law and husband is living in the U.S, but she decided to buy it as a gift) when she arrived in the U.S, they called to say that the watch is not working. we didn't test the watch because it was brand new coming from an AD.
the watch was inspected at a U.S breitling AD and they confirmed it is not working, watch now is in switzerland, and i don't know when it will come back to the U.S.
Yes it's the minute totalizer, however it is located at the 12 o clock position.

I started the chronograph several times and it shows me 3.5 hours passed on the 6 o clock dial, however the 12 o clock dial has not changed yet.

I bought the watch about 6 hours ago.

·
Breitling Forum Moderator
8,832 Posts
Hello,

From what you describe is sounds like an out of the box failure of the geartrain that governs the movement of the minute counter/accumulator. Take it back to your AD and have it either serivced or replaced. The sooner the better. Was it a special order or shelf stock that was available to you on the day?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello,

From what you describe is sounds like an out of the box failure of the geartrain that governs the movement of the minute counter/accumulator. Take it back to your AD and have it either serivced or replaced. The sooner the better. Was it a special order or shelf stock that was available to you on the day?
It was out of the showcase ( I didn't pre-order anything, it seemed like the only one of this model that they had )

Earliest I can bring it in is on Monday.

Do you think this is something that can be fixed by their local watchmaker, in the store or do they have to ship it out?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually there are 2 AD's within a very short distance... I know the one where I bought this watch doesn't have as many watchmakers there and is much smaller than the other one.

Could I go to the other Breitling AD even if I didn't buy the watch there?
The warranty details, mention something about that the warranty has to be honored by all AD's and I think the chances that it can be fixed locally are higher at this other AD.

·
8,832 Posts
You certainly want to return it to the original AD as you have a relationship with him in law and as you spent several thousand dollars acquiring this watch you want to see if he will honor his commitment to you first. If he arranges with the second dealer to look at the watch, fair enough. It gives him ownership of the problem and a chance to see you right. If he chooses to send the watch directly to BUSA(I'm assuming you are in the USA) for service it might be the right thing to do in his eyes. A matter of inside dealer knowledge that I wouldn't have any clue about may influence his decisions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just want to avoid that they ship it in and I won't see the watch for 8-12 weeks.

Can't believe that something like this happens... I thought all watches go for some sort of inspection and are tested, prior to be shipped out to the AD's.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just want to avoid that they ship it in and I won't see the watch for 8-12 weeks.

Can't believe that something like this happens... I thought all watches go for some sort of inspection and are tested, prior to be shipped out to the AD's.
dear daiken,
i love breitling, in fact, i wear one. but there are issues regarding their quality. it is not an "always" problem but the fact is; you bought it brand new just like my sister in law's brand new navitimer.

here is another breitling quality problem. my mom bought me a colt in Austria. Now, the colt is a sturdy watch, it was made with the military in-mind. my colt is seldom used, by seldom, i mean once in every 6 months or even once a year, (not even used in seawater/swimming). the bracelet of my colt, the "pin" to be specific, has rusted/thin away. i wonder why it rusted/thin so easily? talk about quality, they should have checked your watch before selling it.

regardless, i still love my breitling. i have a rolex and an omega but they are with the watchwinders. breitling should improve their quality standards. the are now good, they should make it better, because selling a brand-new watch that is not working properly is not good for the brand.

please tell me regarding what your ad will do next, will they fix it for free or will they replace it with a new one.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Hello,

If the totalizer is not running send it back, they'll take care of you. If in the USA send it directly to BUSA.

I had a problem with my Datora. The watch did not like to restart after being set, makes it hard to keep accurate time. They took care of it, andit runs fine now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dear daiken,
i love breitling, in fact, i wear one. but there are issues regarding their quality. it is not an "always" problem but the fact is; you bought it brand new just like my sister in law's brand new navitimer.

here is another breitling quality problem. my mom bought me a colt in Austria. Now, the colt is a sturdy watch, it was made with the military in-mind. my colt is seldom used, by seldom, i mean once in every 6 months or even once a year, (not even used in seawater/swimming). the bracelet of my colt, the "pin" to be specific, has rusted/thin away. i wonder why it rusted/thin so easily? talk about quality, they should have checked your watch before selling it.

regardless, i still love my breitling. i have a rolex and an omega but they are with the watchwinders. breitling should improve their quality standards. the are now good, they should make it better, because selling a brand-new watch that is not working properly is not good for the brand.

please tell me regarding what your ad will do next, will they fix it for free or will they replace it with a new one.
I gave it back to my AD today.
They achknowledged that something is wrong and told me their watchmaker is going to take a look at it.
If they are unable to fix it in the store they will send it to a repair center.

After I told them that waiting for several weeks was an unacceptable option in my opinion. Afterall breitling claims that all watches undergo individual tests and are inspected prior to being shipped out, yet the watch was not working properly, fresh out of the box...

Anyways.. they promised to get back to me until Wednesday.
They said in worst case scenario they would try and get an identical watch for me, in order to speed up the process.

If the issue is resolved within this week I won't flip out.
If it remains, I will take my money back.

For this kind of money I could hire a watchmaker, buy him a two way plane ticket to Switzerland (from Canada), have him buy a lower brand watch for me, fly back and bring it by my house, without it taking longer than 1 week.

·
8,832 Posts
What I'm dissappointed about is the fact that the sales person didn't wind the watch and test its 6 basic functions,
Manual wind movement,
Time setting,
Date setting,
Chrono start,
Chrono function,
Chrono stop and reset.

Within 3-5 minutes he could have conducted an at the counter pre-sales check.
Seem simple enough. Strange that one didn't have the presence of mind to ask the question. So, there is a little contributory due diligence necessary on the part of both parties for a successful sale that wasn't traversed. Conclusion, if I was spending $Xk dollars I would want to see the little bugger running like a swiss watch before I left the shop!! :)
If the movement had more complications, one might take a bit more time to see them properly function as well. Less punting, more running!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
i love breitling, in fact, i wear one. but there are issues regarding their quality.

breitling should improve their quality standards. the are now good, they should make it better, because selling a brand-new watch that is not working properly is not good for the brand.

This is news to me. I was swayed towards Breitling after being sold on their quality, attention to detail and fine workmanship. I understand that ANY manufacturer can sometimes let a "dodgy one" slip through the net, but as for overall build quality, i thought Breitling were right up there with the best.

Also i have phoned Breitling UK, and Breitling Swiss and have received courteous, and extremely helpfull service.

·
Registered
100 Posts
What I'm dissappointed about is the fact that the sales person didn't wind the watch and test its 6 basic functions,
Manual wind movement,
Time setting,
Date setting,
Chrono start,
Chrono function,
Chrono stop and reset.

Seem simple enough. Strange that one didn't have the presence of mind to ask the question. So, there is a little contributory due diligence necessary on the part of both parties for a successful sale that wasn't traversed. Conclusion, if I was spending $Xk dollars I would want to see the little bugger running like a swiss watch before I left the shop!! :)
If the movement had more complications, one might take a bit more time to see them properly function as well. Less punting, more running!
dear snapit,
yes, i agree that both the AD and the buyer should check the watch. the buyer checking the watch before leaving the shop and the seller checking before selling the watch.

but when a buyer is buying a watch, brand new, an expensive watch and a famous brand, buyer is confident, sometimes to the extent of over-confident of not checking the watch before leaving the shop.

that is what happened to my sister in-law buying a brand new navitimer from an AD, didn't check the watch, confident that it is brand new and when she arrived at her destination, the watch isn't working.

i guess this would be a lesson to all buyers out there, please check the watches you are buying before leaving the shop.

Before, buyers will scrutinize a second hand watch before buying the watch, but now, this procedure should include the brand new and the famous brands. Note: this warning are for the people like me, super confident that the watch is perfect because it is brand new, expensive and a famous watch and coming from an AD not from the grey market. this lesson was learned the hard way, but at least, we/I have learned something.

·
Registered
100 Posts
This is news to me. I was swayed towards Breitling after being sold on their quality, attention to detail and fine workmanship. I understand that ANY manufacturer can sometimes let a "dodgy one" slip through the net, but as for overall build quality, i thought Breitling were right up there with the best.

Also i have phoned Breitling UK, and Breitling Swiss and have received courteous, and extremely helpfull service.
dear trueblue,
let me put this situation in a case of a doctor. the doctor is very good, he cures many patients, perfectly everytime, and in-time, the doctor became famous. more patients came his way, but one day, he misjudged and put to much anesthesia to one patient and the patient dies. the doctor can't say, "oh, this is just an isolated case", even if it is, it is still not valid.

everything should be perfect, so that no person can complain regarding their quality.
As a general rule: To be on top, companies should guard their quality, and the more they should guard their quality if they are already on top. they must be more vigilant regarding their quality.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts

Although not as speedy as we'd like, it has been my experience that warranty service gets priority handling at BUSA and the turn-around time is quicker than routine service. However, I believethe choke point in any repair is the watch requires to be pressure/water tested and that adds to the time to meet their standards.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
I gave it back to my AD today.
They achknowledged that something is wrong and told me their watchmaker is going to take a look at it.
If they are unable to fix it in the store they will send it to a repair center.

After I told them that waiting for several weeks was an unacceptable option in my opinion. Afterall breitling claims that all watches undergo individual tests and are inspected prior to being shipped out, yet the watch was not working properly, fresh out of the box...

Anyways.. they promised to get back to me until Wednesday.
They said in worst case scenario they would try and get an identical watch for me, in order to speed up the process.

If the issue is resolved within this week I won't flip out.
If it remains, I will take my money back.

For this kind of money I could hire a watchmaker, buy him a two way plane ticket to Switzerland (from Canada), have him buy a lower brand watch for me, fly back and bring it by my house, without it taking longer than 1 week.
Any warranty prorblem (frankly any problem) I would want to have the watch sent back to BUSA. I have had local guys screw up watches and they can't always get needed parts from Breitling

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Manual wind movement,
Time setting,
Date setting,
Chrono start,
Chrono function,
Chrono stop and reset.

Actually, it ispossible that it might have been working in the store.
But frankly, it is amazing that these thingswork at all given all the gears/moving parts. Complex mechanical devices will encounter problems, sometimes when new. I've hads problems with Rolex and Breitling. Want fewer problems get a quartz.

·
Pil-Mil, Breitling Forum Moderator
12,067 Posts
Although not as speedy as we'd like, it has been my experience that warranty service gets priority handling at BUSA and the turn-around time is quicker than routine service. However, I believethe choke point in any repair is the watch requires to be pressure/water tested and that adds to the time to meet their standards.
Exactly correct. For a routine full service BUSA has typically returned watches to me within a 4-6 week time frame. For a basic service on a quartz ladie's watch last year (adding the optional "full" polish") the turn around time was just under 3 weeks. For warranty issues (twice this year), turn around time was just over 2 weeks. One reason for my brand loyalty has been the service support. Once or twice a repeat service was necessary but Breitling have always made it right in the end. Elliot will agree with me I believe and when Todd receives his E back this week I suspect he will also. Even though some of us had had problems which necessitated service visits to BUSA, you won't hear brand bashing from those who have been satisfied with the support and that includes the vast majority of our forum members. From what I read on the other forums, Breitling is among the very best when it comes to after sales service and support and my personal experience validates that contention.
Cheers,
Ron

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Ron is right. Mine had to go back for a round 2 servicing and I just got off the phone with my service rep who said it will be back Wednesday. The case itself looked incredible. The bezel looked horrible which was the reason for sending it back. That will make it 4 weeks to the day for the round 2. Round 1 was just shy of 13 weeks. Drastically longer than I had anticipated. I had to call her today since the email that I sent her was deleted this morning without even being read. They lost all of my links that I sent in with the watch also so they are supposed to replace them. Attached are the pics of why it went back. I firmly believe it will be perfect this time.

Todd

1 - 20 of 31 Posts