• 12 -- 6

Votes: 1 1.0%
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
17,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This poll is from almost 12 yrs ago.

I don't think it would too different today. We'll see.

So then WHY is the 7753 discontinued? (Ya, I did a Search, and it wasn't showing up.)

Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Number

·
Premium Member
IWC Porsche Design Titan, Habring2 Chrono COS ZM, Sinn EZM 10, and more...
6,454 Posts
For several years from 1986 when I first started collecting chronographs, I preferred the 3-6-9 layout of the Valjoux 72 (not many 7753's then). When I finally came to own a 7750-powered chronograph with the ubiquitous 3-9-12 layout, I began to prefer this layout as I began to seek out the 7750 for it's wobble, accuracy, and performance. So today I voted the traditional 7750 layout.
Many of the 7753 versions I have seen have a quick-set date divot in the case, which I hate as much as I hate an Omega Seamaster helium escape valve crown. If you cannot quick-set the date via the crown, and you have to poke your watch with a ballpoint pen/paper clip/scratch-inducing device of evil, then the watch shouldn't have the date on it!
Rant over. Dang, haven't even injected my caffeine yet..

·
Registered
178 Posts
I much prefer the 3-6-9 layout and also noticed the 7753 to be a rarer find. There is the Sellita clone of the 7753 I believe, the SW510. Although that still doesn’t seem to be used much, or when it is in just a bicompax layout.

Just to add a photo, this relatively recent Doxa uses the SW510 with 3-6-9 layout (not my photo).

·
Registered
17,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I much prefer the 3-6-9 layout and also noticed the 7753 to be a rarer find. There is the Sellita clone of the 7753 I believe, the SW510. Although that still doesn’t seem to be used much, or when it is in just a bicompax layout.

Just to add a photo, this relatively recent Doxa uses the SW510 with 3-6-9 layout (not my photo).

If the 7753 clone still has that same date-setting issue, then I guess it could pose a problem fro the brand, since the majority of watch consumers (civilians) seem to insist on having the date function.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
The 7753 is still around, though as ETA appears to have closed down sales of its classic movement range to anyone outside the Swatch group, you can't buy it any more. It's only used by its own brands, and they are given their own movement codes depending on which SwatchCo brand they go into. ETA now refers to the base movement as the "A05", with upgrades in recent years such as better power reserve. That's progress for you....

The 7750 subdial arrangement is still used by Hamilton, amongst others. Hamilton calls it the H21, but it's just a 7750 with an extended PR. Watches that have the more common 7753 (or rather an ETA-made movement derived from the 7753) are available from Tissot, Certina, Hamilton, Mido, Longines, Omega, and Union. Again, all with different names for the movements but all still based on the A05 (or for Longines and Omega, the A08 with column-wheel actuation).

In fact Tissot still calls it the "7753" as well as referring to it by its updated code, A05.H31:

The SW510 uses a traditional quick-set date operated via the crown.
Finally - progress :). The date pusher was always a bit of a kludge. Longines has made a thing of it though:

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Silver

·
Premium Member
13,784 Posts
I prefer the 3-6-9 late. The valjoux 72 was a league in its own and so was the VZHC and the 88. Now the Seiko NH88 or 8R49 which is a column wheel movement and which offers better value and better accuracy for money than your run of the mill 7750 let alone 7753.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Unlike the poll from 12 years ago, yours left off "no preference", which I would select. For me, it largely depends on the look and design of a particular watch. That said, for a chrono with a date I can't stand the 3-6-9 arrangement if the date is stuck in between the subdials like the Longines shown above. If it came down to that or a 6-9-12 arrangement with the date at 3 like the Tudor shown above, I'd much prefer that. Of course, there are better ways to integrate the date onto a chronograph:

Watch Analog watch Clock Line Material property

·
Registered
281 Posts
I prefer two subdial chronos. Maybe an itty-bitty third for a “small seconds”, but two, as big as you can get them in the space, is good. My personal layout preference would be a 30 min subdial, an hours subdial, and the seconds around the edge of the dial can be marked off in fraction second increments.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I prefer the 3-6-9 late. The valjoux 72 was a league in its own and so was the VZHC and the 88. Now the Seiko NH88 or 8R49 which is a column wheel movement and which offers better value and better accuracy for money than your run of the mill 7750 let alone 7753.
8r48 as well, which is more common than the 8r49. I have a 7750 and an 8r48 and much prefer the 3-6-9 layout for readability as well as aesthetically.
maybe the 3-6-9 7753 is just an oversight and given time will make a comeback?

1 - 20 of 85 Posts