• 3 -- 9

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • 12 -- 6

Votes: 1 1.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I'll always prefer diver bezels to chronographs because the at a glance legibility is always going to be MUCH higher, (and a timing bezel will never be covered with an hour or minute hand) but if I did buy a chronograph it'd probably be one like this. An unreadable chrono has no reason to exist. Looking at you, mecaquartz.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I think VK have been quite adequate in satisfying the "lust" to see the subdials at 9, 6, and 3.
Sure, one might want the extra pleasure of having that in an automatic / mechanical, but for the price, it seems OK to me.
I have now several with the VK inside, and I find great pleasure in wearing them.
This sort of "cheap compromise," brushing aside the importance of the "dignity" of having a fine movement, is prolly akin to how men in the future will view -- many already do apparently -- more and more, robot "females" as "real" companions. The tech will get there, and at that point,.... one asks:
Does one really want to or need to find an high-maintenance genuine woman when she is gonna do the "brown thing" in one's bed, in a fit of bad mood? Or go with a "fake" that is as pleasant as one programs it to be?

View attachment 16624373 View attachment 16624377 View attachment 16624381
Not knocking quartz chronos in general, most autochronos are expensive to service, delicate, and THICC, so I get the appeal. What I'm knocking is unreadable 60-minute counters, and pointless 24-hour indicators. Citizen is just as guilty on that front. A chronograph isn't much use if the minute counter is so tiny that I can't tell the difference between 7 or 8 minutes. Seiko can make a constant force tourbillon, but they can't make a quartz chrono movement that can count more than one hour? What sense does that make?

I'd take a Zodiac Grandrally over anything VK based just on account of the fact that I can actually read what it says.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I too tire of unreadable 60 minute counters. My Citizen, as attractive as it is, is a primary offender, but an unscientific survey of browsing seems like most chronos use 60 min subdials. I wonder why?
Here's a particularly bad example. Not only is the subdial 60 minute, but it doesn't even have individual marks. You just get to interpolate in between the 10 minute indices. Was that 4 min? 5? Maybe 6? Who knows? It won't matter until we get to 10!

View attachment 16628300
The Zodiac is relatively unusual in that it's a quartz chrono with a proper 30-minute counter. Presumably that means it can't count past a half hour (once again showing the superiority of the humble dive time bezel) but at least it's readable.

That Jack Mason is just dumb. It has both a Tachymeter and a Telemeter scale, neither of which are usable if you don't know how many minutes have passed. At least you can (usually) swim with a faux diver (other than the JLC Polaris). This thing can't even do the one thing it's supposed to do. It's only marginally better than those stupid MVMT blackout chronos that have no markers at all.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
If they are going to incorporate the date, I prefer it incorporated into a 4th sub-dial like on some of the old Girard Perregaux Laureatos.

That's a big nope from me. Dial is so busy that it's barely readable. Has no running seconds, and please tell me that 24-hour hand isn't slaved to the main hour like a mecaquartz watch. Please tell me it's actually a GMT hand, and it just happens to be showing 7pm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts