• 12 -- 6

Votes: 1 1.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This poll is from almost 12 yrs ago.

I don't think it would too different today. We'll see.

So then WHY is the 7753 discontinued? (Ya, I did a Search, and it wasn't showing up.)

Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Number

·
Registered
17,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I much prefer the 3-6-9 layout and also noticed the 7753 to be a rarer find. There is the Sellita clone of the 7753 I believe, the SW510. Although that still doesn’t seem to be used much, or when it is in just a bicompax layout.

Just to add a photo, this relatively recent Doxa uses the SW510 with 3-6-9 layout (not my photo).

If the 7753 clone still has that same date-setting issue, then I guess it could pose a problem fro the brand, since the majority of watch consumers (civilians) seem to insist on having the date function.

·
Registered
17,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Seiko NH88 or 8R49 which is a column wheel movement and which offers better value and better accuracy for money than your run of the mill 7750 let alone 7753.
I don't think I've ever seen a watch with it.
At least, I was not aware of any chronos having one inside. Until just now.
Looks like Seiko are selling the movement to other brands

Watch Photograph White Light Analog watch

·
Registered
17,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I never see anyone mention it, but I prefer the 6-9-12 purely from a functional standpoint. There's less of a chance when I want to time something that the hour or minute hand is obscuring the minute chronograph register. The hour hand doesn't reach to the top, and the minute hand only covers it for a few minutes at the top of every hour. It's for this reason that I can't stand the register layout on my seiko solar chrono, seems like whenever I want to time something the hands are in the way of the 60 minute counter at 6.
Huh ??
I don't understand. Why would the hands not cover each and every subdial at some point?

·
Registered
17,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
An unreadable chrono has no reason to exist. Looking at you, mecaquartz.

I think VK have been quite adequate in satisfying the "lust" to see the subdials at 9, 6, and 3.
Sure, one might want the extra pleasure of having that in an automatic / mechanical, but for the price, it seems OK to me.
I have now several with the VK inside, and I find great pleasure in wearing them.
This sort of "cheap compromise," brushing aside the importance of the "dignity" of having a fine movement, is prolly akin to how men in the future will view -- many already do apparently -- more and more, robot "females" as "real" companions. The tech will get there, and at that point,.... one asks:
Does one really want to or need to find an high-maintenance genuine woman when she is gonna do the "brown thing" in one's bed, in a fit of bad mood? Or go with a "fake" that is as pleasant as one programs it to be?

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Silver
Watch Analog watch Silver Clock Watch accessory
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Silver

·
Registered
17,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Also, what's making you say the 7753 is discontinued?

I'm still seeing info on the website...

That said, I think all of ETA's 4-digit calibres are no longer sold outside Swatch Group, if at all anymore.
It was just an assumption on my part, as 99.99% of the watches that have any mention of the 7753 have been all from the 70's, and before.
I also did not know that 7753 now goes by some other name / number.

In any case, selection of automatic chronographs with subdials at 3 - 9, or 3 - 6 - 9 seem to be FAR smaller than those with 6 - 9 - 12

·
Registered
17,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
The 7750 often come with a daydate option at 3, which obviously would not work the same for a 7753.

Also the 7753 set date with an additional pusher correct? That's a whole lot more cumbersome to set date than using the crown for a 7750.
This seems to be the most rational answer to my implied Q: Why 3-6-9 layout is less common than 6-9-12.

People like having the date function.

·
Registered
17,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
If they are going to incorporate the date, I prefer it incorporated into a 4th sub-dial like on some of the old Girard Perregaux Laureatos.

I'm sure it's a high level watch, but I cannot understand the "logic" of that design: those 4 circles are so powerful, so strong a presence on that dial, so why did they cram in those numbers too, only to get mangled and chewed off? Weird.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts