• 3 -- 9

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • 12 -- 6

Votes: 1 1.0%
21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
for some reason i love the 6-9-12 on pilot watches. something about the layout that feels right.

·
Registered
17,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Seiko NH88 or 8R49 which is a column wheel movement and which offers better value and better accuracy for money than your run of the mill 7750 let alone 7753.
I don't think I've ever seen a watch with it.
At least, I was not aware of any chronos having one inside. Until just now.
Looks like Seiko are selling the movement to other brands

Watch Photograph White Light Analog watch

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
Meh... all the Valjoux movements are too chunky for me.

As for the design question, I guess have an aesthetic preference for 3-9 or 3-6-9 on an otherwise clean dial. However, 6-9-12 works better when there's a date window.

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
I don't have a strong preference, just as long as the sub-seconds dial is NOT at 6. Frequent minute and hour hand blockage from view.
I mean... it's going to get blocked at some time during the day no matter where it is on the dial.

Reactions: Fahoo Forays

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I prefer the 3-6-9 layout for it's symmetry, but the odd placement of the date does deter from the look (if there is a date). The 6-9-12 layout is good for me on watches that have a day-date complication at the 3 as it balanced the dial somewhat. I don't either has an advantage from the readability standpoint as each layout will have some problems with readability as some times in the day.

I think Omega gets it right with the bi-complex look at the 3-9, the hours and minutes elapsed being on one subdial at the 3.

Frankly though, I think all chronos should have a central minutes and seconds hand showing elapsed time with one of the subdials just showing hours. This is clearer, allows for a 60 minutes elapsed minutes counter, and a more balanced dial showing elapsed hours and running seconds.

The Sin EZM10 was one and the Damasko DC86 is another.

·
Registered
10,808 Posts
If the problem's been solved, and yet, it is still (relatively ) rarely used, it makes the whole phenom even more perplexing.
I believe the 510 is a newer entry in the Sellita catalog. The bigger names are frequently slow to adopt new offerings, especially if adoption means changing dials or cases.

I know Farer uses the 510 in Tricompax form. The bi-compax version seems more popular at the moment..

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Speaking of Seiko, NE88 was column-wheel with 3-6-9 layout. Almost pulled the trigger on the Autodromo Monoposto chrono that used it.
Watch Analog watch Clock Wood Quartz clock

That said, my preference is 6-9-12 with day-date at 3 o’clock. Not just because the 7750 doesn’t need the 7753’s dreaded date pusher (almost a deal-breaker on my Tissot 1973), but it’s a natural extension of a 3-hand watch with day-date at 3 o’clock.

View media item 15256699
I also like the “stealth” date tucked into one of the subdials in this layout.

View media item 15256698

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
I never see anyone mention it, but I prefer the 6-9-12 purely from a functional standpoint. There's less of a chance when I want to time something that the hour or minute hand is obscuring the minute chronograph register. The hour hand doesn't reach to the top, and the minute hand only covers it for a few minutes at the top of every hour. It's for this reason that I can't stand the register layout on my seiko solar chrono, seems like whenever I want to time something the hands are in the way of the 60 minute counter at 6.

·
Registered
17,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I never see anyone mention it, but I prefer the 6-9-12 purely from a functional standpoint. There's less of a chance when I want to time something that the hour or minute hand is obscuring the minute chronograph register. The hour hand doesn't reach to the top, and the minute hand only covers it for a few minutes at the top of every hour. It's for this reason that I can't stand the register layout on my seiko solar chrono, seems like whenever I want to time something the hands are in the way of the 60 minute counter at 6.
Huh ??
I don't understand. Why would the hands not cover each and every subdial at some point?

·
Registered
10,808 Posts
Maybe it has already been mentioned, and please correct me if I'm off track, but isn't that role often filled by Zenith or Tudor/Breitling chronograph movements these days?
And Omega.

But the ElP is currently only available in Zenith. The Breitling movement only in Breitling and Tudor. Omega only in Omega. Those wanting something that doesn't cost $5000+ needs a 7753 or SW510. Or the 2894 modular, if those can still be gotten by third parties.

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
I'll always prefer diver bezels to chronographs because the at a glance legibility is always going to be MUCH higher, (and a timing bezel will never be covered with an hour or minute hand) but if I did buy a chronograph it'd probably be one like this. An unreadable chrono has no reason to exist. Looking at you, mecaquartz.

·
Registered
17,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
An unreadable chrono has no reason to exist. Looking at you, mecaquartz.

I think VK have been quite adequate in satisfying the "lust" to see the subdials at 9, 6, and 3.
Sure, one might want the extra pleasure of having that in an automatic / mechanical, but for the price, it seems OK to me.
I have now several with the VK inside, and I find great pleasure in wearing them.
This sort of "cheap compromise," brushing aside the importance of the "dignity" of having a fine movement, is prolly akin to how men in the future will view -- many already do apparently -- more and more, robot "females" as "real" companions. The tech will get there, and at that point,.... one asks:
Does one really want to or need to find an high-maintenance genuine woman when she is gonna do the "brown thing" in one's bed, in a fit of bad mood? Or go with a "fake" that is as pleasant as one programs it to be?

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Silver
Watch Analog watch Silver Clock Watch accessory
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Silver

21 - 40 of 85 Posts