WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm interested in picking up my first mechanical chrono. Likely, it will be a 7750 based watch, however, as an enthusiast of all things mechanical, I wanted some feedback about pusher feel.

I love the nice distinct, almost binary feel of an actuator, quite like the feeling you get when you shift into gear on a very smooth transmission, a nice, solid "click" type engagement. Some gear shifts feel vague as you shift and you're not positive you completed the shift, whereas some shifters have that awesome, positive engagement that tells you definitively, you're in gear!

Will I get that great binary feel from a cam actuated chrono like the 7750, or will the pusher feel be "better" with a column-wheel mechanism?

Feel free to comment on lever actuated chronos, though I don't think I've seen those on the watches I've been looking at.

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
I prefer the feel of the cam 7750 in my TAG to the column wheel 3303 in my mate's Omega broad arrow. The 7750 is much harder to push in, and clicks more.

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
I have owned a great many chronographs, by many manufacturers, and have played with even more.

The 7750 in its unmodified form may have the worst tactile feedback on the pushers of any chronograph on the market. I am not speaking to the quality, durability or accuracy of the movement, strictly the feel. It feels like crap. Almost like you are breaking glass when you start the chronograph. A little better on the stop than the start. Just a cheap and crappy feeling. Similar to my Breguet Marine (also cam operated), thought the Breguet's clicks are crisper and cleaner, but still harsh. The 7750 on start almost has two clicks very close together, a little sloppy feeling in addition to being harsh. The Breguet is harsh, but clean.

I have not played with any Patek's or Lange or Glashutte and cannot comment on their chronograph movements. The Frederick Piguet 1185 has a fabulous tactile feedback and is used in the Vacheron's Overseas, the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms, some Franck Muller chronos (I have owned all of these) and others. The Rolex Daytona copied the layout of the 1185 pusher system and that too has a lovely feel, a little softer than the 1185 (only played with the Rolex, didn't own one). I prefer the 1185 to the Daytona, though the Daytona is the better movement - but it only comes in a Rolex. The Seiko spring drive (I own this) does not feel particularly elegant, but is very crisp and clean, like hard metal parts at work. The JLC, at least in the Master Compressor Diver (I own this) does not feel particularly gracious and is a little disappointing for this. The Zenith I was never impressed with although I appreciate its horological significance. It always bothered me how much the second hand jumped when started - due to the lack of a vertical clutch. I don't know why they didn't employ that. The tactile feedback however was considerably better than the 7750.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Agree with Gary123- 7750 feels like you should not be actually pressing on it! Like something will break! I no longer own any 7750 after getting to know and understand chrono movements more.

However, not all column- wheels are made equal. Try out different movements. The F Piguet is a fine example of a good chrono. Minerva ones are very nice as well. Check out the Montblanc Villeret line. On top of that, we have the whole Clutch debate too!

KR,
Chi Kai

·
Registered
867 Posts
I believe that in general a cam-actuated chrono is going to be more stiff (and therefore more likely to have the solid "click" that you are looking for). Column wheel chronographs tend to have softer pushers.

My Speedy Pro is cam-actuated, and has a very solid, well defined click when operating the chronograph.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
you probably have to try it to get a feel for it. its not easy to describe feelings with words.

that said, if you are a mechanically inclined individual, try to picture the 7750. you have a pusher that you push on in an axial direction to create rotational motion on the cam. So you will feel a good amount of resistance and then it "snaps" and the cam is rotated. It will be very binary, but not everyone like the way it "snaps".

To compare that to transmission for a car. Most BMW has a feel where there is a little big of resistance trying to go into gear, and then right before it goes into gear there is a very crisp yet soft and smooth "click". transmission for a Mustang is a little difference in a sense where there isnt a whole lot of resistance prior to getting into gear, and you would feel one very solid "click" then you are in gear.

I would say the 7750 is closer to my mustang example.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I agree with most of the others - all else being equal - a column wheel will feel better than a cam. As has been pointed out, there are better and worse examples of each.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You get my drift precisely! Sounds like I would not like the feel of the 7750. Honda's and Bimmer's for me.

That being said, I do have my heart on the Longines Master Moonphase (7753). There are some nice Longines column wheel chrono's, though.

you probably have to try it to get a feel for it. its not easy to describe feelings with words.

that said, if you are a mechanically inclined individual, try to picture the 7750. you have a pusher that you push on in an axial direction to create rotational motion on the cam. So you will feel a good amount of resistance and then it "snaps" and the cam is rotated. It will be very binary, but not everyone like the way it "snaps".

To compare that to transmission for a car. Most BMW has a feel where there is a little big of resistance trying to go into gear, and then right before it goes into gear there is a very crisp yet soft and smooth "click". transmission for a Mustang is a little difference in a sense where there isnt a whole lot of resistance prior to getting into gear, and you would feel one very solid "click" then you are in gear.

I would say the 7750 is closer to my mustang example.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The 7750 in my TAG Carrera feels very crisp and clean, although it's very stiff and hard to push in. It's so stiff that my finger actually hurts from pushing it too many times, but it gives off a positive click when it clicks in. The 7750 on my Montblanc Timewalker on the other hand is very soft and undefined, almost like pressing into a burger bun. Having owned 5 chronographs and played with about 20, I'd say the TAG's pushers feel the best (better than the moonwatch) and the Montblanc feels the worst, even though both have a slightly modified 7750 movement inside.

My point is, not all 7750's are created equal. Different watches are modified differently and therefore behave and feel differently.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
You get my drift precisely! Sounds like I would not like the feel of the 7750. Honda's and Bimmer's for me.

That being said, I do have my heart on the Longines Master Moonphase (7753). There are some nice Longines column wheel chrono's, though.
Only way to find out is try pushing different pushers.

I tried the master moon phase at Tourneau a couple of weeks ago. I don't think I have anything positive to point out from a pusher standpoint, but there wasn't anything negative there either. It is a good looking piece and if I were to buy it, I think I would admire the details on that dial and how beautiful the hands are and not the pushers because they were neither good or bad. They just felt natural.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts