WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the deal: The SPS007 is the one I already own. Why am I looking at the Chase-Durer? In a word, legibility of the stopwatch function, which I use a great deal. After wearing the Spring Drive for a couple of years, I'm finding that between my less-than-perfect eyesight and not-very-high contrast of the sub-dial indices, readability, while not impossible for me, is more difficult than I'd like. Compare that with the 1000 UDT XL's higher contrast sub-dials and better still, the center minute totalizer.

Ideally I'd keep both in my stable, but the price of the Chase-Durer is just high enough to make this a bit difficult on my budget. If I have to flip the Spring Drive, would the 1000 UDT XL be a worthy trade?

Borrowed image

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
They'll talk to you like you have 3 heads around here for comparing a Seiko to a CD.
There's a nice Chase exactly like that on WUS boards fs btw.

Reactions: Vig2000

·
Registered
21,021 Posts
99% of WUS is going to tell you to go with the Seiko. But I've had a Chase-Durer UDT 1000XL PVD for three years, and it's a fantastic watch. Solid, strong, accurate (my most accurate quartz; beats the hell out of my G-Shock when it can't get a signal). The PVD finish is basically immaculate after three years of regular use; there is some corner wear on the clasp, but that's it.

Get it. The battery in mine just died and I haven't had a chance to replace it and I'm kind of lost without it, even though I don't wear it as much anymore (I wear my Speedmaster most of the time). It's as much a great watch as it is a security blanket to me.

There's mine. I have it on Bonetto Cinturini rubber modified with a deployant clasp now, and it's totally awesome. I want to put the bracelet back on eventually though.

Reactions: jringo8769

·
Premium Member
7,685 Posts
So here's the deal: The SPS007 is the one I already own. Why am I looking at the Chase-Durer? In a word, legibility of the stopwatch function, which I use a great deal. After wearing the Spring Drive for a couple of years, I'm finding that between my less-than-perfect eyesight and not-very-high contrast of the sub-dial indices, readability, while not impossible for me, is more difficult than I'd like. Compare that with the 1000 UDT XL's higher contrast sub-dials and better still, the center minute totalizer.

Ideally I'd keep both in my stable, but the price of the Chase-Durer is just high enough to make this a bit difficult on my budget. If I have to flip the Spring Drive, would the 1000 UDT XL be a worthy trade?
I like my C-D 1000 UDT XL a lot. So much so that I just had it relumed:

But that Seiko SpringDrive of yours is worth a lot more than my XL. Any trade you consider should have the watch plus a lot of cash coming your way.

But your point is well taken. Legibility really comes down to contrast. And there is no combination of colors with higher contrast than white and black - just like on the C-D. That is one of the reasons I like it so much. Additionally, I use the independently adjustable hour hand often and the center seconds and minutes chronograph hands make it extremely easy to read elapsed time on the chrono.

Whatever you decide, be sure to receive fair value for your SpringDrive ;-)

HTH

·
Registered
15,019 Posts
God knows I love my Seikos, but that's one thing I could never understand about a lot of the Seikos (and many others too): the hard-to-read designs, especially with when equipped with all the doodads. White on white. Silver on silver, etc. Why???????

As for OP's Q: If legibility is what you're after, surely there is at least another dozen other than the C-D that can do the job AND are qualified to be in the same room as that Seiko? Horologically speaking, I think you're taking a huge step down.

·
Registered
14,318 Posts
I'm casting another vote for the Chase Durer. I used to own one but had to sell it to fund a PO. It was a great watch and like Raza said VERY accurate. I don't think you'll be disappointed. My local AD said it's the same quartz chrono used by Breitling. The only weak spot was the lume, but that can always be fixed like gaijin did. Go for it!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Im one of the 99 percent. That Seiko is very nice, however they dont recommend over use on the chrono function for automatic watches. If you need to use it a lot then a quartz woiuld be the way to go. I guarentee you will regret selling your seiko.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I would never even consider trading down that much. The CD is cool and its become more famous by the Burn Notice TV show. Try a Seiko with a black dial and less complications like mine.I have no trouble reading the time on mine.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
I would go with the Ananta any day. If you were comparing the Chase durer to a more closely matched timepiece then I would go with the Chase Durer.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
God knows I love my Seikos, but that's one thing I could never understand about a lot of the Seikos (and many others too): the hard-to-read designs, especially with when equipped with all the doodads. White on white. Silver on silver, etc. Why???????
Form over function, perhaps? No question that the dials on the Seikos peg the bling scale, at least short of having precious gems involved.

As for OP's Q: If legibility is what you're after, surely there is at least another dozen other than the C-D that can do the job AND are qualified to be in the same room as that Seiko? Horologically speaking, I think you're taking a huge step down.
Point well-taken, and I'm open to suggestion. The reason I zeroed in on the C-D is the center minute totalizer. Given that legibility is the issue, this would be an over-the-top improvement.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
I'm in the same boat, vision wise. A higher quality watch is not going to serve you when you need to use the chrono function. That C-D looks like a pleasure to read. I have a beautiful, beautiful Breitling Chronomat Evolution that is just about impossible to read, for me. I just bought the same watch, used, with a blue face, and it is amazing how easy to read that new dial is. Makes the watch a pleasure to use (now I will have to deal with selling my old one).

I've an idea: do a google search for images of "Sector chronograph". Relatively inexpensive, some nice looking chronograph watches with some easy to read dials. Get a cheap Sector and keep your Seiko.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
A former Spring Drive owner, I prefer the Seiko by a margin so wide words escape me. Do you have three heads?!

For a style similar to that CD, consider the VSA Dive Master Chrono.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A former Spring Drive owner, I prefer the Seiko by a margin so wide words escape me.
Then why are you a former Spring Drive owner?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts

·
Registered
15,019 Posts
Point well-taken, and I'm open to suggestion. The reason I zeroed in on the C-D is the center minute totalizer. Given that legibility is the issue, this would be an over-the-top improvement.

Well, I am not sure what your requirements are, but if the center minute totalizer is an important feature then I guess the C-D is your watch.
But for sheer legibility alone, I think any of the Germans would be very good. Sinn, Hanhart, Temption, Tutima.
Edox also makes some very legible ones.

Here's a Tutima Grand: courtesy of ablogtoread

tutima-grand-chronograph-watch-2.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts