WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning to everyone,

I've been looking for a while to spot a picture of the original Chronographe Suisse issued Mangusta watch of the beginning 80's(aparently limited to 500 pieces).

For me, this watch remains a complete mystery as nothing is available but "stories" and legends.

In fact Chronographe Suisse Cie tell us that this watch inspired the contemporary Mangusta Supermeccanica.

Any information welcome,

Best regards,

JC Langlais

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
Pics, including movement pics, would help a lot.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I try in google image and this is what I find... Is this one???

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Indeed probably mythical. Read:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/al...nk=gst&q=Chronographe+Suisse#2319a73376274491

In summary, the experts on there are of the firm opinion that there was no such company. The present company seems to be using (as a name) a term which simply means 'Swiss chronograph' and which was applied to watches produced by a variety of makers over a period of time. Perhaps they are trying to produce an enhanced sense of heritage for their products.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,146 Posts
Well, I'd give the gold version twelve out of ten for legibility in the dark! The movement, however, seems to be a standard ETA 2894 or other dial module of an ETA 2892 so it can't be that rare. If that one is the new one (as I suspect), I'd like to see what's in the original watch that makes it so rare. If it turns out to be just a bog-standard Valjoux 7750, it wouldn't be worth it in my opinion.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pretty interesting...

I bought a chronograph Suisse two register chronograph a month ago.it looks like the current chronographe Suisse but, of course, much smaller.

I put a Nato strap on it and, well, it just looks perfect for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
Quoted by Merrick Indeed probably mythical. ...
the experts on there are of the firm opinion that there was no such company. The present company seems to be using (as a name) a term which simply means 'Swiss chronograph' and which was applied to watches produced by a variety of makers over a period of time. Perhaps they are trying to produce an enhanced sense of heritage for their products.

I totally agree with Merrick. In the past, the "Chronograph Suisse" was a generic brand used by many, many companies , some known ,but most of them unknown . In my experience (and many of my colleagues from the Spanish forum) they are nice vintage chronos with beautiful dials, bearing mostly Landeron calibers, with some cased in 14 or even 18 K gold.

It is clear that the "new" Chronograph Suisse is trying to obtain advantage from all this (in the same way that Cuervo y Sobrinos). I have to acknowledge however, that they have beatiful watches in their collections.

It is interesting the question about the "mythic" Mangusta model, because until now I have not seen an single example of a vintage like this. I have the impression there was a model used by the Italian Army with that name, but is only a guess.

Salud;-)s

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My watch indeed also features a landeron caliber.Unfortunately the dial shows a bit of slight corrosion.
I might get it redone, but I 'm not sure whether it will have the same look after being redone...

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
My watch indeed also features a landeron caliber.Unfortunately the dial shows a bit of slight corrosion.
I might get it redone, but I 'm not sure whether it will have the same look after being redone...

Any suggestions?
I wouldn't think that it was worth it. Most refinished dials either don't look right or cost an absolute fortune. Or both. Slight corrosion is OK on a vintage watch. Your watch looks good as it is. :-!

Picture of my CS attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
AFAIK there were variants of cases made of solid gold and without the cover/stiffener. The ones with the stiffeners were called the paper-cased versions, because the back was so soft it could be dented (hence the stiffener).

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
Well, I'd give the gold version twelve out of ten for legibility in the dark! The movement, however, seems to be a standard ETA 2894 or other dial module of an ETA 2892 so it can't be that rare. If that one is the new one (as I suspect), I'd like to see what's in the original watch that makes it so rare. If it turns out to be just a bog-standard Valjoux 7750, it wouldn't be worth it in my opinion.

Hartmut Richter
In my humble opinion, if you can not get over 60% off MSRP a new watch is not worth it. It is like buying a new BMW. I won't but I am glad others will so I can get them eventually ;-)

... But, have you looked at Eta's tech docs on the ETA 2892? Their design spec is so tight EVERY ONE meets Chronometer specs!

Nowadays, bog standard can be a darn good watch.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts