WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again, I also picked up this technos wristwatch recently at the local flea market while doing some focused watch hunting with fellow WUS member MACz13. I believe it to be a 30s/40s watch; the chrome plated case looks very 'stowa antea like'. As with the buren, I would also appreciate a movement ID:

Thanks in advance,

Hazchrono

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
Hi -

One of the variants of the Felsa 158, most likely.

You can check against these measurements (from Dr. Ranfft's site):

8.75''', Dm= 19.45mm
H= 3.55mm
15 jewels
f = 18000 A/h
power reserve 35h

JohnF

PS: Not an exact match, but this calibre was made with varying bridge design over its life...and I have one in a similar-era Stowa.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,304 Posts
While I am not certain, you may well have rather a rare watch. I have seem (pictures of) watches with labels such as "Technecium Le Locle". These are watchmaking schools where journeymen watchmakers finish their education to become a master watchmaker. In Germany (and presumably also Switzerland), the trade system is such that any master of a trade is required to complete a special piece of work in his field before he gets his title. Such watches are the "Meisterwerke", the sort of Ph.D.s of the craft world. They would normally remain the family of those who made them and only appear rarely on the open market. If this is what you have, you should consider yourself privileged!

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
Interesting!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
While I am not certain, you may well have rather a rare watch. I have seem (pictures of) watches with labels such as "Technecium Le Locle". These are watchmaking schools where journeymen watchmakers finish their education to become a master watchmaker. In Germany (and presumably also Switzerland), the trade system is such that any master of a trade is required to complete a special piece of work in his field before he gets his title. Such watches are the "Meisterwerke", the sort of Ph.D.s of the craft world. They would normally remain the family of those who made them and only appear rarely on the open market. If this is what you have, you should consider yourself privileged!

Hartmut Richter
Definitely so. A friend of mine, Mark Levy who graduated from the Technicum quite a few years ago has one he especially treasures, as he made it himself. (!) However the Technos brand itself is interesting because it started as a Swiss brand with the name registered by Gunzinger Freres in Oensingen in Switzerland. I'm not sure whether there is still a Swiss made Technos or not, but somehow the brand name got registered in Japan by a Japanese group, so there is a Japanese Technos. At the same time, there is also a Brazilian gropu that has registered the name Technos for their watches too. I've heard that Technos is the largest Brazilian watch manufacturer.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow, interesting. what makes you believe that this watch is an example of a ''meisterwerke''?

thanks,

Hazchrono

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
Hi -

Harmut, I fear that you are mistaken here: Technos was a Swiss company. I bought one of them way back when I first started collecting, as I liked the name (yikes!) and it was a thoroughly mundane watch. This one is one of their better models, with a chronometer-quality movement, but I do not think it is one of the Technicum Le Locle watches: the movement would be better finished and almost certainly 17 or 19 jewels, given what those Technicum watches represented...

JohnF

·
Registered
162 Posts
I concur John - this is a reasonably nice watch but by no means exceptional, and certainly not of the provenance Hartmut (mistakenly) attributed to it. I would also add that in my opinion 'chronometre' in this case simply means timekeeper (i.e. Technos Watch), not a movement quality or grade. The movement in question does not appear to offer anything beyond a regular 15 jewel wrist watch movement of the time.

Regards,
Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts