WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i just got in the mail an 8400 that smells of cigarette smoke. any ideas of how to get rid of it? I dont believe it's in the bezel, as it looks new, but in the straps. I could get new straps as I have a spare new bezel in the closet. Thanks for any ideas. Mike:)

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
takes a long long time, I used sat it in backing soda for days, then mud, rubbed it with dirt, it still has a smell.

I was P-off when i got the watch, the seller did not disclose the smoke and I really think that is wrong.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Humm, didn't really think that would happen but thats probably because I'm used to SS bracelets. I'm assuming the resin is porous and it would make sense that it could absorb some odors. Wonder if boiling the band would help this? Otherwise, I'm not sure...

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Hey, i just got in the mail an 8400 that smells of cigarette smoke. any ideas of how to get rid of it? I dont believe it's in the bezel, as it looks new, but in the straps. I could get new straps as I have a spare new bezel in the closet. Thanks for any ideas. Mike:)

I'd scrub it w/ dish soap and warm water and then let it sit overnight in a glass of soapy water.
Seems the least expensive route and much less trouble than a strap change.
Let me know what you try....
Cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
I'd scrub it w/ dish soap and warm water and then let it sit overnight in a glass of soapy water.
Seems the least expensive route and much less trouble than a strap change.
Let me know what you try....
Cheers,
Chris
It seems odd that even soaking it hasn't worked... I hope something works, as a smoker I'm sure non-smokers hate the smell of our habits! :-| Good Luck!

·
Registered
998 Posts
I had a similar problem.

Your results may vary, I'd suggest removing the strap and bezel, scrubbing everything with undiluted dish soap and a soft toothbrush (scrub the module as well it can take it).

Then rinse well in cool water, and soak in apple cider vinegar for a day. The resin + strap should then smell of... ....apple cider vinegar.

Finally run the resin + strap through the dishwasher a few times. If any lingering odor remains, leave it on your wrist for several days and take into the shower, giving a lather of shampoo and soap. You'll either get used to it or realize it's never going away.

If all this fails, start smoking.

·
Registered
9,059 Posts

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Coffe is used by drug smugglers because it is so good at concealing odour from the dogs. So it can hide smell. This might be worth a shoot:

remove bezel and wrist band
Place them inside a coffe filter and fill it up with coffe powder
Now fill it with some water then let it sit inside it for 12 hours
Then freeze it for 12 hours then rinse it firts under hot water to get rid of the coffe and ice and also scrubb it as hard as you can using just your hands

Then finally rinse under cool water

This helps aginst many odours hopefully smoke smells aswell.

Dont know though if this will hurt the watch or permanently make it smell like coffe but hopefully not!

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
A coffee scented watch has to be better than a cigarette smoke scented watch, right?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I've had this problem in the past. A few suggestions that may work.

1. Put the watch in a ziploc bag along with lots of baking soda. Keep it in there for a few weeks.

2. Again, put it in a ziploc bag and then use charcoal to soak up the odor. Keep it in there for a few weeks.

3. If neither of the above two work, find something scented that you don't mind the smell of (i've used candle wax in the past) and put some of that in a ziploc bag with the band and again, seal it up and let it sit for a few weeks.

Good luck. I once bought a rare, vintage and very expensive rubber strap that really reeked of cigarette smoke...it took about two months of doing #1 and #2, but I finally got it.

·
Registered
13,284 Posts
Coffe is used by drug smugglers because it is so good at concealing odour from the dogs. So it can hide smell. This might be worth a shoot:

remove bezel and wrist band
Place them inside a coffe filter and fill it up with coffe powder
Now fill it with some water then let it sit inside it for 12 hours
Then freeze it for 12 hours then rinse it firts under hot water to get rid of the coffe and ice and also scrubb it as hard as you can using just your hands

Then finally rinse under cool water

This helps aginst many odours hopefully smoke smells aswell.

Dont know though if this will hurt the watch or permanently make it smell like coffe but hopefully not!
You could try this, but you'd get stopped constantly by airport security.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hey there, I've also received a vintage G that the seller did not mention reeked of cigarette smoke. As a former smoker, that was not cool :rodekaart Anyway, the best methold I found is to use cedar to take away the smell. I have a watch case with cedar shavings inside the cushions, and after my G sat in that for a couple weeks, the smell went away. If I were you, I'd try getting some cedar shavings and sealing them in a ziploc bag with the watch. That should take care of it, and cedar smells nicer than coffee or vinegar, IMO.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
'Cigarette Stinky Resin! How to get rid of it??'? Sell it to a fellow forum member at a knock-down price??

My last purchase smelt strongly of tobacco, and had dark brown 'stuff' all around the back of the bezel and anywhere else where there is a small crack. I think it must have spent most of it's life in a spittoon... I haven't completely got rid of the smell, but I've got used to it.

Is there such a thing as Wabi-stink?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts