WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
G-Shock Mod
14,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is my Citizen 1000m Auto-Zilla (NH6931-06E) user impression

What a watch! big Duratect Ti case, user removable serviceable bezel, auto HEV, 6mm thick sappire crystal w/ inside AR coating, 1000m WR and hand windable.

its a big watch but the lug to lug size is quite manageable for smaller wrist size. i have a 6.5" wrist and i am on the 2nd to last hold (tighest) on the original rubber strap. its big but its comfortable. one thing enough. when i wear it on the 2nd hole, the strap (12 and 6 o'lock of the watch) does "bite" on the wrist some what, but the caseback doesn't. the watch would be a little lose if wear it on the 3rd hole.

the dial is easy to read. and the minute hand does stand out more so than the hour hand (as it should for its designed purpose)

the dial is matt black and in 2 tiers. polished/shiny edges on indices are nice tough. since the crown stick out so much, putting it on the left side of case is the only logic choice (given if you wear the watch on your left wrist)

i am a desk diver, so i doubt i would take advantage of the strap extension, auto HEV and user serviceable bezel. but its good to know that the watch has those feature. :p

the lume of the auto zilla is good. to my eye, they blue lume is less bright than the light green ones used by seiko (i.e. the auto zilla's lume doesn't "scream" as well as the monster's lume when you watch into a dark room from bright light.) auto zilla's lume does last for a quite a while though. (haven't done any morning hour test yet) the blue lume looks cool, but i don't think its as "effective" as seiko's light green lume.

one thing auto zilla missed is a signed crown (other less expensive pro master has it, i won't why doesn't the auto zilla has it)

its not the prettiest watch out there, but you will have to get used to people starring at your watch. :)

thanks for reading

·
Registered
413 Posts
Seconded

I have a NH6930-09FB Auto-Zilla, which is essentially the same watch. I second the above comments. I have it on right now. My wrist is also 6½ inches and I usually wear it on the third strap hole.

The movement draws a couple of negatives. The movement does not hack, which I knew when I bought the watch. In addition, my 'Zilla was running slow. I sent it twice to Citizen in California for adjustments. It came back still running slow, but I found that winding it forty turns or so speeds it up. I had purchased the watch from a non-authorized dealer and had no warranty paperwork. Just the same, Citizen cheerfully adjusted the watch for no charge both times. Customer service such as that is outstanding.

The Auto-Zilla typifies tool watch, but with cutting-edge styling. Bottom line: For pure, unadulterated cool, the Auto-Zilla is hard to beat.

·
Registered
413 Posts
how slow was it at the beginning? and how about now?
The watch was losing about 15-20 seconds a day when I first got it. Not acceptable, so I sent the watch to Citizen. Citizen returned the watch last summer. I put it on the winder and left it there. I started wearing it again three weeks ago. At that time, without extra manual winding it would lose eight seconds a day.

Laying the watch flat and winding it forty turns yielded a ten second gain yesterday. I wound the watch a turn or two this morning while resetting it and so far it appears to be right on.

Probably the trick to maximize accuracy is to wind the watch several turns each day - which defeats the purpose of an automatic movement.

Citizen included an insert when it returned the watch. The insert said ± twenty seconds should be expected.

·
G-Shock Mod
14,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that's my experience with the auto zilla (or citizen NY0040 diver)

the timing can be all over the place depends on the level of winding and position of the watch.

at the end, i just ignor it (until it really bothers me :p )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts