WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Great explanations of the work you're doing, and cool shots too, 31j. How does a balance wheel get bent - is it most likely rough handling by a 'botch maker'?

Stephen
Thank you.
Yea, pretty much. Or putting the movement in the wrong holder/picking it up wrong and bending the balance with fingers.
The watches i get are all 40-100 plus years old. And like a car, there have been (alot) of other hands in it.
Most of my work is fixing mistakes made by men who have probably died by now, or ones that didnt have any formal training or education in watchmaking or repair. I would say for me, the ratio is 1 in 20 watches that are pristine. I can tell when a watch was handled/serviced correctly in the past. 31

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hi Wysanz,
I've been exchanging information with 31 Jewels about Citizen's vintage chronographs, including the 67-9151 he's restoring at the moment. I have one of these and the case number is 4-901118, whilst Brian's is 4-901142. Both of ours have dial codes of 901204, which I think is the same as yours. Would you be kind enough to confirm the numbers on yours? This would be helpful to Brian and for my blog, where I've done a page on the chronographs.

Can I ask as well for some info on the two 67-9178s you have? I have the black dialled version, but the dial code is missing - the dial must have had some issues in the past and has been painted round the edge, losing the second indices and the code. It would be helpful to know the dial codes for both models, so I can add them to the blog page so it's as complete as possible.

Sorry to trouble you, but I hope you can help,

All the best,
Stephen aka Morris Minor and Sweephand

Sweephand's Vintage Citizen Watch Blog | Welcome to the world of Citizen's vintage timepieces

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hi Wysanz,
I've been exchanging information with 31 Jewels about Citizen's vintage chronographs, including the 67-9151 he's restoring at the moment. I have one of these and the case number is 4-901118, whilst Brian's is 4-901142. Both of ours have dial codes of 901204, which I think is the same as yours. Would you be kind enough to confirm the numbers on yours? This would be helpful to Brian and for my blog, where I've done a page on the chronographs.

Can I ask as well for some info on the two 67-9178s you have? I have the black dialled version, but the dial code is missing - the dial must have had some issues in the past and has been painted round the edge, losing the second indices and the code. It would be helpful to know the dial codes for both models, so I can add them to the blog page so it's as complete as possible.

Sorry to trouble you, but I hope you can help,

All the best,
Stephen aka Morris Minor and Sweephand

Sweephand's Vintage Citizen Watch Blog | Welcome to the world of Citizen's vintage timepieces

Yes Stephen, The dial code on my 67-9151 is Japan 8110-901204 KA, and on the case back the Ref.No is 4-901118 Y, mine and yours have the same codes.
Here are the pics that I took today, I post them here just to share.

As for the 67-9178, The codes are 901239 KA and 901221 KA respectively for the black and white dialed versions.

and the case back...
Hope it helps. Cheers!

The Three Musketeers! :-d

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hi wysanz, thank you so much for your reply and superb pics! I'm sorry I'm late replying to this, I didn't get a notification about your post so missed it. The 67-9178 info is just what I needed to complete that entry on my blog page.

And you have 2 white dialled 67-91678s! Boy am I green with envy :)

All the best,
Stephen

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
@Wysanz; I like your three musketeers!
Thank you friend! :)

Hi wysanz, thank you so much for your reply and superb pics! I'm sorry I'm late replying to this, I didn't get a notification about your post so missed it. The 67-9178 info is just what I needed to complete that entry on my blog page.

And you have 2 white dialled 67-91678s! Boy am I green with envy :)

All the best,
Stephen
You are welcome Stephen! I am glad that being able to help. Good day.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
007.JPG Earlier in the thread i had mentioned that i was missing 2 key pieces to my Citizen 67-9151. I have discussed in my other restoration and service threads about Citizen 8110 movement holders. Some models use plastic ones and some use metal ones with screws and clamps. Well, this watch's metal movement holder was missing. My first thought was crap. Where am i going to get a very important rare part for this watch. I know what you might be thinking. Just buy a parts Citizen 8110a watch to get one. 014.JPG Easy enough, so i buy 3. Any of these models look familiar? I bought these for one thing. The metal movement holder and the 2 clamps and 2 screws. But, there was a problem. The single registers here i just tried to fit the whole movement in the 67-7151's case. Guess what? It wouldnt fit. How is that possible? I can explain later. So i then buy a Bull Head. Restoring Vsansbajo's, i learned that these too came with metal movement holders. Ok, so it fits in the 67-9151's case, but not in the case back. So, this is what i did.......

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
011.JPG The 8110a Bullheads movement holder is .50 MM bigger at 29.50MM. So in the lathe it went. And very carefully i machined down .50MM. A 4 jaw chuck was to strong to use with out bending it. So i had to modify one of my lathe tools to be able to turn the Bulls movement holder down .10MM at a time to get 29.00MM. And presto, i have this.... 013.JPG 31

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
017.JPG Which lead to this. Lookin real good. Now 31's getting a late christmas present. Remember the wasted original crystal. Look whats in the back round. It just keeps getting better now the movement holder is a reality.. The dial took a long time to carefully clean. Remember in the first picture of the thread the staining it had. I use a special trade secret cleaner and now its virtually perfect. See ya soon, 31

·
Registered
624 Posts
Your work is amazing! Interestingly, if you required a metal movement holder for the 8110, I would've sent you one I had. It's from a 9119 and should fit.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I love that you're taking the time to document all this! |> |> |>

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Your work is amazing! Interestingly, if you required a metal movement holder for the 8110, I would've sent you one I had. It's from a 9119 and should fit.
Thanks J. I have a 9119 here and i measured it. 30.50MM. I would have had to machine off alot more, but it would have worked. I appreciate the offer. Hey at least there will be more 8110 restorations. My problem was the single registers 8110's arent as thick of a movement as the double register 8110s. The movement sat too far away from the 67-9151's bezel. I realized only after i got the bull that it would have worked. Only still I would have had to machine off metal to get it to fit.
I need to get some stainless Citizen single register cases. I have 2 8110a single register movements that need homes. 31

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
View attachment 990871 Here she is all done with an original Citizen bracelet, NOS Citizen crystal and all her original hands that are un restored. I have been so busy i could barely find the time to finish her up. Also a pic of the finished 8110a movement with the custom made movement holder. This 67-9151 timed out to about 7 seconds a day positionaly. View attachment 990875 Pretty darn good for almost a 40 year old watch i'd say. View attachment 990878 Fine regulation and alot of time yields really superb timing results. Hope you liked the thread and ill try to post some more pics in the future with my signature mirror and the sun. Oh, almost forgot.....

21 - 40 of 71 Posts