WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
015.JPG This was something I knew was going to happen at some point. The 8100a. I have typed 8110a so many times that I have to correct myself. 8100a. This is Citizens single register chronograph from the mid 70's. Back in January i restored a Citizen 67-9151 8110a double register here on the forums that needed a metal movement holder. So I purchased these three watches just for their movement holders. On the left, a virtually complete Challenge Timer(for you Stephen) with its original dial and these (2) 67-9577 single registers. Both were complete with really nice dials and original hands. None ran or reset, and one had the wrong case back. I have asked Stephen if he would share his pictures of these models as references to show you what they look like in their original state in mint condition. All have really cool black date wheels and they are seldom seen for sale. Especially single registers. I wanted to see what I could do to restore these back to something awesome again. There were some challenges, and some twists along the way, and you might find this thread interesting as to where it goes in the end. Stay tuned, 31 014.JPG

·
Registered
225 Posts
Re: Citizen 67-9557/67-9631 8100a Custom Chronograph(s) Restoration and Service by 31 Jewels

I'm looking forward to seeing more of this thread! b-)

Although many people know at least some of the 8110a models, particularly the Challenge Timer (aka 'Bullhead'), the single register 8100a models are not seen very often at all. They were produced for only a short period, as far as I can determine only for a few years after their first appearance in 1972. There are no chronographs in Citizen's 1971 catalog, but they do appear (both types) in the 1973 catalog. By 1977 no 8100's are listed in the case parts catalog, whilst 8110's are still listed.

Here are two examples of the 67-9577 which 31j is working on - first the black dial:

67-95771_zpsb9962f9d.jpg

And second is the rarer blue dial with orange hands:

67-9577OrangeHands1_zps9d3e65df.jpg

For more info on all Citizen's chronographs, and the rest!, please feel free to visit my blog

Stephen
Sweephand's Vintage Citizen Watch Blog | Citizen's watches from 1931 to 1980

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Re: Citizen 67-9557/67-9631 8100a Custom Chronograph(s) Restoration and Service by 31 Jewels

014.JPG I realized that I had made a mistake in the title of my thread. This model Citizen is not a 67-9557, its a 67-9577. I emailed a moderator to see if a thread title could be edited. So far no reply, so I'll just keep on rolling. Anyway, as you can see, both 67-9577 cases are in trouble. The spring bar holes are wiped out on both. These cases are I believe to be made out of aluminum or some kind of pot metal. The cases are to far gone for me to entertain. Since one is missing the original caseback, I had to re think what to do about bringing them back into usable restored watches. I spent months looking for spare cases. Nothing is around or available for a 67-9577, so its time for plan "B". Note that this one was made January 1973. See you in a day or two, 31 033.JPG 034.JPG

·
Registered
624 Posts

Lovely thread, 31! My observations have led me to believe that the 9577 case and the more common 8110a powered 67-9038 case are identical. The 67-9119 case, although similar, is different to the 9038 case. Differences aside, if you're on the hunt for a 9119 case, I've got a spare that you're welcome to utilise!

·
Registered
143 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Lovely thread, 31! My observations have led me to believe that the 9577 case and the more common 8110a powered 67-9038 case are identical. The 67-9119 case, although similar, is different to the 9038 case. Differences aside, if you're on the hunt for a 9119 case, I've got a spare that you're welcome to utilise!
Thank you very much Jaliya for the offer. Take a look at my Plan "B". 31

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
018.JPG Heres my Plan "B". Let me introduce you to the Citizen 67-9631. I saw these 2 on ebay for sale from alexiscable. I originally passed on his auction because at the time I hadn't bought the (2) 67-9577's yet. It all started coming together for me when I decided that I wanted to restore both 67-9577's. I just love the sporty, super detailed dials of those models. Especially the blue dialed orange handed version. Luck, timing and fate was leading towards (2) all stainless, custom Citizen 8100a single registers. So, I scrambled quick and emailed him. He is also a fellow WUS member. So, we struck a deal and then these flew all the way around the world to Pennsylvania. The 67-9631 to the right, with the very nice Citizen Bracelet was a runner. The other one is for parts. Plan "B" is now lookin pretty good. 4 possible engines, and 2 heavy stainless steel bodies. Hmmmm. I think its time to service and restore something cool out of this pile. See you soon, 31 001.JPG

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
008.JPG This one was made April, 1974. I believe this to be true that 2 dial colors were offered. One is purple in color, and the other more turquoise like. Similar to the 67-9054's dial. Google searching seems to support this. When you see Stephens 67-9631, you'll notice the purple in his dial. These (2) 67-9631 dials look nice enough to restore someday. The blue dial on the left is the sure winner for me, but that play is not in the cards at this time. 31 006.JPG

·
Registered
225 Posts
The 67-9631 is an unusual design, with its cushion case and pale blue dial - most of the examples I've seen have lived a full life and often have badly faded dial markings. My example was one of the better ones I've seen, even so the case is far from pristine. I believe this is on its original solid link bracelet:

67-96311_zps767cad18.jpg

Here is more detail of the dial, which is really rather a nice mix of almost pastel colours:

67-9631Dial1_zps1897d577.jpg

Looking forward to more from 31j on his work on these fine chronographs b-)

Stephen

·
Registered
624 Posts
Plan B is SUPER, 31J!
I lost out on two 8110a project watches in the past two weeks. One was a Challenge Timer with the rare black day/date wheels and another was an Octo Bull with an original dial. Ah well, I'll be more generous with the bids next time!
P.S. Nice dial, Stephen!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
002.JPG Lets take a closer look at the 67-9577's. What I find most amazing about these two is that they were completely intact. Original crowns and hands. Very faded hands too in excellent shape. *Note the black date wheels*(For you Jaylia) Nothing except a 8110a Challenge timer using those. The blue dial by far is the nicest of the two. With that said, you can guess which one is going to get all the beauty parts of this resto. The black dial 9577 is missing some of the minute markers at the outer edge of the dial near the 10 mark. So blue orange hand wins. Having Stephen's 9577's as a reference was a big help in getting these restored correctly, including the correct original color for the hands. I'll show you what we have going with the cases in a day or two. Stay tuned, 31 004.JPG 005.JPG

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Only one of the 67-9631 cases was complete. The other had water damage so bad that the pusher spring had actually rusted completely away. The pusher had been seized in the case, and someone tried to remove it and ruined one of the pushers and badly bent one of the tubes. That included the crown tube also. Fortunately, the 67-9577 cases provided spare pusher and crown tubes. They are exactly the same. Luck on that one. Another bonus is that the 9577's stainless pusher's are the same too. What makes the 9631's case special is two things. One, is its a very heavy solid stainless case. Two, is the pushers are set deep in the case and are not exposed like other 8110a models. It makes for a very interesting look as you will see at the end of the thread. *Note the pushers.* Very rusty. The tubes will have to be pressed in. Stay tuned, I'll have more soon. 010.JPG 015.JPG 003.JPG 31

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
001.JPG I ended up getting 5 good pushers from 4 watches. Plus enough spare case and crown tubes. These pushers also fit the Citizen 8110a Speedy. I have had 5 Speedy's through my shop so far, so its pretty good to have some decent spares, since they cant be bought anymore. Check out the pusher and crown tube below. The 67-9631 case pictured in the back round that needs the tubes will be the black dialed 9577's new case. Since its the second best of the (2) I have for this custom job. 31 002.JPG

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
003.JPG Looks like a bunch of ship wrecked watch parts on a raft. The amount of crud is in micro pounds. Even the "O" rings have rotted away. These will get a full throttle ultrasonic bath. Then polished to a mirror shine, and new "O" rings. Cases up next. They look real good. Stay tuned, 31 004.JPG

1 - 20 of 81 Posts