WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had one since the 70's, and it has been working perfectly since then. It is so accurate and beautiful. What is your opinion on this Citizen 8110 Bullhead?
What would it compare to today? I would think it would be a high end watch.
Thanks in advance.
Here is a picture.
1.jpg

·
Registered
620 Posts
Hi,
Nice bullhead! I don't know if this was a high end watch back in the day, but the 67-9119 (same movement but had a count down timer) had a catalog price of 23,000 Yen. I recall reading somewhere that the mid-range Citizens were about 12,000 Yen so this makes the 8110 a relatively expensive watch. Not sure about my assumptions though!:-d I also recall reading that you'll never get a true flyback automatic chronograph for less than $700 today! (the price range is a guesstimate!)
Regardless, it's a great watch. I'm still trying to locate a 67-9119 for myself though! These are harder to come by than the regular bullheads.
Regards.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone else, has more info in this model? I really like the Bullhead and I am trying to find as much info as possible. In your opinion, is it a watch that deserves a restoration? Apart from the sentimental value I have with it. Is it really something worth spending money on it. I really think it is a great watch, but I am no expert.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
620 Posts
This watch deserves to be restored! As I mentioned earlier, automatic flyback chronographs made by Swiss companies are a hundred times more expensive.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Im glad that this thread is here. I just finished restoring this 67-9054 chronograph. At this time i have 5 of the 8110a's on my bench. Originally this blue dialed one started out as the green dialed one. It came from Argentina and suffered a hard life. Even though the dial appears to be trashed, it actually looks really cool to me. So i bought another basket case 67-9054 from florida off ebay which should arrive today. I will post a pic of that train wreck in the next day or to. Its going to give up its pushers and parts to restore and create the green sun burst dialed one. This particular blue dialed one came from florida too as a parts watch for another one. I like this model so much that i bought other doner 8110a's to bring this one back to life. I bought 2 8110 Citizen Speedies a few months ago and decided to go buck wild and restore 5 different watches at the same time. These movements are the best Citizen mechanical chronographs even today. They can be timed very accuratly. This one is at about 6 seconds positionatly with a 0 ms beat error. I love the fact that they have fine regulators in them. On top of that they are heavily jeweled in all the right places and i have spent countless hours diagnosing problems with them. All the problems with the 8110a is all inexpierenced botch makers getting over their head with them with the exception of one. What was designed in the watch to create the flyback function is actually why almost all of mine didnt work and reset correctly. Hit the reset and (CRACK) it flys back but its such a violent action that it will loosen the hands off their pivots. After spending hours, and i mean hours trying to figure out why. Its turns out to be a piece that i believed to be a factory problem, which can be fixed no other way than to remove it. Believe it or not the only thing that happens i think is better than the fly back function. Push the reset after the flyback part removed and what you have is the smoothest reset one could dream of. It really makes the watch much better and in my opinion should have been made that way from new. But thats ok because its such a high quality movement that ill give it a high grade rating. Stay tuned for more. 31 037.JPG 047.JPG 048.JPG 053.JPG

·
Registered
225 Posts
Great post '31 jewels'! And good to see someone working on these great movements. I'm not a watch mechanic, but I am a vintage Citizen collector so very interested in your comments and it would be great if you could take a look at my blog to see if there are things you could add to my article on the 8110 and 8100 chronographs, see here: Automatic Chronographs | Sweephand's Vintage Citizen Watch Blog

Cheers,
Stephen

·
Banned
2,545 Posts
I got mine two weeks ago:

It is an awesome model and I never knew till seeing in the auction site, then grabbed it right away.

But I don't know much about it, sorry.

Wear yours in the best of health . . .

Capt. Serdal

·
Registered
762 Posts
Thank You (Morris Minor) for your posative reply. I think its about time the Citizen members and fans get a chance to see some of the well made products their company has made in the past. I want to keep (Vsansbajos) thread alive as long as i can untill an official thread can be started on the 8110a movement. I get the chance to bring back to life these very cool movements and their respective cases and models they were put in. Im a big fan of these "motors" and i hope everyone will enjoy the thread so far. It was a great idea. Here is pics of the 67-9054 train wreck that washed ashore today. It looks like it was laying in a mud puddle. It was so dirty that i didnt clean anything on the bench. I ultrasonicly cleaned the movement twice and was amaized to find was the movement was in really original non botched condition. I should have it running today and will post a pic and some results. Stay Tuned 31 001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG

·
Registered
844 Posts
I actually was offered one for sale today but the guy want way too much (like three times as much) money. It is a harder edged Octo version, gold face with black sub dial. If you know one (preferably a face of a diff. color) for sale, please let me know.

I noticed a eBay seller is selling one (Vintage Citizen Bullhead Chronograph Stainless Steel Wrist Watch Automatic | eBay ) I wonder if he is a member here.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Thank You (Morris Minor) for your posative reply. I think its about time the Citizen members and fans get a chance to see some of the well made products their company has made in the past. I want to keep (Vsansbajos) thread alive as long as i can untill an official thread can be started on the 8110a movement. I get the chance to bring back to life these very cool movements and their respective cases and models they were put in. Im a big fan of these "motors" and i hope everyone will enjoy the thread so far. It was a great idea. Here is pics of the 67-9054 train wreck that washed ashore today. It looks like it was laying in a mud puddle. It was so dirty that i didnt clean anything on the bench. I ultrasonicly cleaned the movement twice and was amaized to find was the movement was in really original non botched condition. I should have it running today and will post a pic and some results. Stay Tuned 31
I think I saw that particular watch on eBay a couple of weeks back. The seller had about three 8110s & one 8100 for sale.
I also have a 67-9119 with a 8110 movement that I got for cheap. It requires attention so I'm in the process of restoring it. My watch is a real basket case that is missing one sub-dial hand & has the wrong dial! (from a 67-9038). On the plus side, the hands are original and in excellent condition. The day-glo orange on the seconds hand looks fabulous! The inner bezel does not rotate on mine, a closer inspection revealed that the cog wheel and stem for that is missing. Any idea where I can get one? I'm after a parts watch to get all the parts I require, but these don't come up very often. A good dial is even harder to find!

Here are some photographs-

Now some wrist shots-

Regards.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Amazing to think you'll get this one running! Excellent work. Looking forward to seeing the results,

Stephen
Hi Stephen,
Yes, I plan on restoring this to factory specifications! My task would be much easier if I found a donor watch, but I'm going to have to be patient!
In the meantime, I'm going to acquire tools I would require to remove the hands and dial. This is my first watch restoration project as well.
Wish me luck!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Jaliya, check your PM on my parts 67-9019. Finished green sunbursts 67-9054 motor tonight and got it running. It had excellent amplitude, im still amaized that it runs that good. I didnt even get it on the timing machine yet. It did have a bent minute recorder pivot which i was able to straighten on the lathe. I fitted the dials on both and kept the black speedies day of the week wheel for the sunburst. Check it out. I dont know what language its in but i like fridays. That should be on ladies watches too to remind them what friday really is. LOL. Sunbursts case is polished and the tachy bezel, which the printed numbers are long gone but it polished nice. I have to do some minor resto work to the sunbursts dial yet. The 67-9313 black dialed speedy is ready to have the hands put on and cased today. The white dialed speedy had the nicest parts of the two so it got the priority restore. Stay tuned, 31 001.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG T 007.JPG

1 - 20 of 131 Posts