WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Brand Bearing Auto part Bicycle part Rim I have always been a divers watch fanatic. A few months ago i had the chance to aquire 6 Citizen 8200 200M auto divers. All are in various states of disaster and none run. The 2 nicest at least in the most original condition are in the headliner photo and they get worse looking as i go down the line. What i have found as i opened each one up looks to be enough parts to make at least 5 working watches. I have never owned a Citizen mechanical divers watch and rarely see any for sale. I bought 4 NOS bezels, 2 black, 2 pepsi, 1 repo dial and hand set and 1 NOS crown and stem. Lets see what happens. Stay tuned, 31

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory The first 2 watches shown in the headliner pic are going to be named "the originals" since those will be restored as just so. To keep track of the others i'll just give them names so they can be referred to in the later part of the thread.
These 2 pictured i'll call them "Black Ops" since they are the only ones that have white lume dot dials and hands. Both are complete and it looks like only the one on the left with the "red 200M" is going to keep its dial and hands. 31

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Watch Watch accessory Analog watch Fashion accessory These are the final 2 watches. I'll name these "water rats."
Diver on the left has got really nothing going for it except its case, movement, stem and crown. Diver on the rights crystal is cracked and has a really nice set of hands and dial. The dial has some chips so i'm not sure yet if this dial will be saved. It glows the nicest and the longest of all of them as far as lume condition, so maybe. Lets see what happens. Stay tuned, 31

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
The 8200 Divers are my favourites as far as working on the movements. I have 7 or 8 of them and have had at least another half dozen that were restored and passed on to new homws.

There are at least 7 different models; some with black dials; some with white dials; some with silver dials and one with a full lume dial. I even have one of the hard to find all black models with gold accents on the bezel, hands and crown.

Enjoy; these are super easy to bring back from the dead :)

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I'm pretty excited to see this take place.

·
Banned
467 Posts
The Citizen 8200 is my 2nd favorite after the 6309-7049 cushion case.
in fact i still own a set of black, white and pepsi.
Good thing is parts are still available.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Watch Watch accessory Analog watch Fashion accessory Watch Watch accessory Analog watch Fashion accessory Close-up I started to strip down all the Citizen divers today to have a look at the condition of all the 8200 movements,dials and bezels. "Original pepsi" is not lookin so hot. It was the only 8200 here with severe water damage. I was able to salvage about 60% of its parts. The train is completely destroyed. All the calendar parts survived. So its looking like at this point were going to have 5 watches at the end of the thread. 31

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Electronics Electronic component Gauge Fishing reel Gauge "Black Ops red 200s" dial before and after. It looks like little spots of dried salt water were everywhere with a 5X loup. I carefully cleaned it and it turned out better than i thought. Its dry, flat and faded but the white lume still looks excellent. With the exception of the mark at the "automatic" area of the dial....its a keeper. Its movement is full of dirt with no damage. Its in pretty nice shape with the exception of one broken calendar adjustment spring, which "original pepsi's" movement has now supplied. Its hands are a different story. Their pretty corroded and rusty.
So its Black Ops comrad is going to donate its hands. The seconds recorder hand looks ok, so i'll clean and re use it again. Stay tuned, 31

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Watch Watch accessory Analog watch Fashion accessory Metal When i opened up Black bezel original's hood i found 3 things. Someone wonked up its hair spring. I'm good at fixing hairsprings but this rat nest..not gonna happen. It has a broken 2nd wheel jewel. I didnt notice it at first untill i found a piece of it in the movement. Time to get the old Seitz jewel press out.

So far original pepsi has givin up its balance and hairspring, calendar spring, and a second wheel jewel. Its rotor screw is MIA so one more part too. Plus its crown and stem, since someone in the past used a non original crown. That looks about it for the movements.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Machine Metal Pressed out and replaced its broken jewel. If you look to the right of the press point you can see a piece of the broken jewel. I spent alot of time pre cleaning all the parts because everything is so filthy with old grease,dirt, fuzz you name it.

Disasembled all 6 of the movements and checked every part one at a time before the cleaning machine. I dont want to be dealing with repair and checking for messed up or broken parts when i ready to re assemble them. 3 trays and 3 hours later, the parts are ready for the old L and R.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Wow looks like night and day.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I love Citizen auto divers

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Watch Pocket watch Fashion accessory Rim Back again with 5 8200's as hoped. I was able to select each part and recheck before assembly and it paid off. 4 of the movements turned out excellent and have superb amplitude right upon start up.

The 8200 on the movement holder was the challenge. I have more hours in this one than any of the others. This was the movement in original black bezels, the one with the wonked rat nest hair spring. (See above pics) It also had 3 more cracked train jewels. I didnt notice them untill after they all came out of the ultrasonic machine. So it was back to the original pepsi for 3 jewels and a hair spring. This is what original pepsi's balance pivot looked like......

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
. Macro photography The pivot was almost rotted off. The balance itself was corroded but that didnt matter. It was its hairspring i needed. The collet was so rusted to the staff in this pic that the balance wheel bent removing the hairspring. Still, no matter because the hairspring found its new home on original black bezels balance wheel. And hours later, i have 5 8200's in proper order ready for their cases.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts