WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I would like som comments (pros and cons) on the Citizen Aqualand Eco-drive BJ2000. If you have som pictures of the watch from other angles than the standrad picture, they are also very welcome.

the Kit

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have owned this watch since 2002. I will tell you everything I have gone through with this watch, including the negatives and positives...

Foremost, I have put this thing through hell and back over the years, and it has held strong. I have bashed it and dropped it too many times to count. I remember one time that I tripped, and put my full body weight into my wrist and accidentally smashed my watch into a corner of a garbage dumpster. the crystal cracked of course, but that watch ran just the same as always! MacGuyver himself would have a difficult time destroying this watch.

I have used this watch in Hawaii, free diving, kayaking, etc. NUMEROUS times over the years (i am from there, but live on the mainland, and always go home for holidays and summer visits). As far as water functionality, I think it is great. I do believe that this is a legitimate dive watch in that i was taking this thing down to 30 foot depths on a regular basis, and was using it in the beach sand on a regular basis.

The "depth indicator" function is really cool. I used it a bunch when I was freediving. Never once has it malfunctioned.

I have never had a problem reading the lume in the dark. always easy to read and see the graphics on the watchface.

Now, the not so good... My version is the "sister" version of your watch, with gold plating around the face and on the bezel. The gold plating has started to scratch off over the years, and I believe my rough treatment has also contributed to this. If i could buy it over again, i would buy your version, with all stainless steel, so that way there would be no gold paint to rub off.

About 2 years into it, the black lettering of the "1" in the "10" logo on the dial came off. It literally peeled off. about 2.5 years into it, the black paint where the "triangle logo" is on the dial came off too. It was a thick coating of paint that just chemically became "unfused" with the dial. I was wearing the watch 24-7 though, so if you wear it less, you may not experience this.

about a year ago, the crown started getting loose, and i was having trouble screwing it down into the watch. It seemed the the threads started wearing down (Maybe because i would tighten it TOO much and stripped the threads?) and 1 month ago, the crown snapped off. I sent it in to get repaired and got it back in 3 weeks for a 60 dollar repair job. I believe this issue was my own fault, in that I beat the hell out of this watch for many years.

The lettering of the "ND limits" on the rubber strap came off about 2 months after i bought the watch, so don't get attached to that. it will rub off.

In summary:

This thing is a tough bastard, and has ALWAYS performed under harsher conditions, under water, and in repeated activity in sand.

Expect cosmetic issues with the paint job as the years go by.

With better care on my part, I believe that the crown would never have snapped off.

If you try to show just a little bit more care than I did, you should be able to mitigate or elimitate some of my experiences. Please also realize that I still love this watch, and think that my type of usage is largely responsible for the outcome thus far. It is a good watch, and I still really like the look and design of it. and i still ENJOY wearing it for housework projects or outdoor activity.

·
Registered
354 Posts
also, for alternative pics of the watch, my suggestion is to type in "citizen aqualand" in EBAY. lots of ebay sellers post different pics to entice buyers. i'm sure you'll be able to find some alternative shots on there.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot rtripton:thanks

I really enjoyed reading that long and very descreibing answer from you. How about the Eco-drives system. Does it work or has the battery been degraded over the years. Would you recommend this watch or should I go for another Aqualand.

Thanks again

The Kit

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have the Aqualand you are asking about. I picked up mine from another forum member earlier this year. The watch is very accurate w/minimal loss/gain of time (+15 seconds over 2 months). The lume is very good, close to being on par w/my Seikos, and the watch is not very heavy considering it's size.

I have used mine for diving twice. The depth gauge was accurate to w/in 1 foot, compared to my dive computer. However, it is a bit difficult to read in the water. If you plan on diving w/it, this should be only a backup depth gauge! The bezel is 60 clicks, most dive watches today are 120's.

Overall, it is a very nice and functional watch.

·
Registered
354 Posts
my watch ran out of "sunlight juice" only 1 time in all the years i have owned it. i stuck it under a desk lamp for 2 hours and it was fine. that was about a year ago, and have had no problems since. i would not worry about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts