WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted some peoples' opinions on the Citizen Astrodea Celestial watches... It's right down my alley and wondering if it is a good deal/rarity etc. (Any comments on the watch would be great!) Thanks!

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
Just wanted some peoples' opinions on the Citizen Astrodea Celestial watches... It's right down my alley and wondering if it is a good deal/rarity etc. (Any comments on the watch would be great!) Thanks!
If you can figure out how to set and use them, I'll kiss you! :-d ... well, maybe I lie. But I sure would be grateful.

I have one and am not enough of an astronomer to figure it out. ... and the instructions are in some strange Oriental language I can't read. ;-)

So far Bruce has talked me out of giving it to an astronomer friend in return for putting out English instructions... I'm sure it's simple if you grasp all the appropriate concepts... but I don't as I sit here right now... Oh well...

But it is an absolutely beautiful watch. I have an earlier edition than Bruce who has posted pics of his... Mine's a bit smaller with a slightly different dial. I hate giving it up but the bracelet is too small and I can't imagine I can get more links for a watch that was only made in quantity 500... oh well...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lucky for me that I have tiny wrists! Thanks, looking forward to finding one! If you don't mind, what do you think is a reasonable/good deal for one?

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
You can get them new from dealers in Japan. They are rare on the used market. The one I got is the only one I've seen on eBay in six months but I may have missed some.

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
Thanks! Any recommendations for good Japanese sites?
A google search will find them... I think I saw some in Amazon stores...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi, Bruce;

Very nice - certainly an impressive and most unusual watch ! I can imagine you must spend quite a bit of time looking at that dial :)

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Hi, Bruce;

Very nice - certainly an impressive and most unusual watch ! I can imagine you must spend quite a bit of time looking at that dial :)
Thanks! Yes, it's one of my favorites as far as dials go. Not entirely practical, mind you. (Imagine trying to actually use it as a star chart during an observing party in the dark. I'm thinking it wouldn't be quite as useful as a full, fold out chart. o| :-d)

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you can figure out how to set and use them, I'll kiss you! :-d ... well, maybe I lie. But I sure would be grateful.

I have one and am not enough of an astronomer to figure it out. ... and the instructions are in some strange Oriental language I can't read. ;-)

So far Bruce has talked me out of giving it to an astronomer friend in return for putting out English instructions... I'm sure it's simple if you grasp all the appropriate concepts... but I don't as I sit here right now... Oh well...

But it is an absolutely beautiful watch. I have an earlier edition than Bruce who has posted pics of his... Mine's a bit smaller with a slightly different dial. I hate giving it up but the bracelet is too small and I can't imagine I can get more links for a watch that was only made in quantity 500... oh well...

I have several versions of the Citizen Astrodea Watch, both celestial and moon-age. I am also brand new to the forum. I worked with a retired ships captain in England to produce our own version of an operations manual for the watch. I can't guarantee its accuracy, etc.. but will share it with forum members if I can figure out how to get it to them.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I'm new to this site and have only posted 1 previous note. However I'm an amateur astronomer and sort-of watch collector who has all the versions of the celestial and moon-age watches issued by Citizen. I find them extremely unique especially as they are not available in the USA. They are remarkably accurate and finely detailed...real discussion pieces. They are not easy to use and will strain your eyes even with the magnyfier they include. The gold version (2007) is easier to read but valid only in the northern hemisphere. Working with someone in England, I have instructions more or less, and can forward them if I knew how.

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
I'm new to this site and have only posted 1 previous note. However I'm an amateur astronomer and sort-of watch collector who has all the versions of the celestial and moon-age watches issued by Citizen. I find them extremely unique especially as they are not available in the USA. They are remarkably accurate and finely detailed...real discussion pieces. They are not easy to use and will strain your eyes even with the magnyfier they include. The gold version (2007) is easier to read but valid only in the northern hemisphere. Working with someone in England, I have instructions more or less, and can forward them if I knew how.
PRAISE BE! My prayers have been answered! (If I'm smart enough to understand, that is...)

I have sent you a Private Message... I can get them posted for you.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
This would be extremely interesting! I think I've figured mine out, but would enjoy confirmation. (Jim -- Did I share that with you?)

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
Welcome back... We only had to use tear gas on the rowdy crew a couple of times :-d

Patterson's instructions are wonderful. I'm digesting them now and will get a revision back to him this week. I suspect I won't have to give the watch away...

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Welcome back... We only had to use tear gas on the rowdy crew a couple of times :-d

Patterson's instructions are wonderful. I'm digesting them now and will get a revision back to him this week. I suspect I won't have to give the watch away...
Cool! (And glad to hear that everyone semi-behaved. :-d Thanks for minding the store. :-!)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi

I'm new to the site, I just got one of these watches as a present. But I can't read the Japanese manual :(

If anyone could send me some sort of English instructions I would be very grateful

Cheers
Karl M

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
AAAAHHH, another project not meeting schedule!

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, if there isn't an English PDF (yet) available, can I ask a (hopefully simple) question re the Astrodea?

How do I set the date?!!

I know it must be some simple thing I haven't worked out.

The months are displayed on the rim, with 3 groups of boxes beneath each month (that seems to have something to do with the date ;-) ). Each box has 8 dots in it, in two groups of 4. So there are 24 dots (4x2x3) per month. Plus there are the divisions/lines marking the boxes. You could maybe bring that up to 6x2x3 by counting the lines as well as the dots.

So.... I can't figure it out. :-(

Anyhow, sorry I'm such a newbie and I hope this is the right place to post such a question.

Thanks for your help (in advance)

Karl

1 - 20 of 71 Posts